WCSO Difficulty Settings

MajiK6pt5

Spaceman
Hey all, I'm new to WC (just downloaded WC Secret Ops yesterday).

I'm testing different settings to see what level to play at, and I tried changing the difficulty levels just to find out that they aren't very different. At the hardest level, it's still almost as easy as the easiest level. The only thing that seems to have changed is that ships seem to fire more missiles at you...except that this is done when they're coming head on, and you can just shoot the missiles!

I just want to know what's different about the difficulty settings...

Thanks,
MajiK6pt5

Like you said, ships fire missiles at you, meanwhile at the easiest seting they don't fire any missiles. The enemy ships are harder to destroy (fighters require more gun shots/missiles, heavier capships require 2+ torps to destroy each component instead of one), the stats of their ships are increased by 20% (or at least that's how it's done in Prophecy), more fighters will attack you at one time....

Thanks for replying (I hoped someone would reply today).

Damn...that sucks. I was hoping that the AI got better. Heh...kinda stupid, eh? There should be more games where the computer doesn't "cheat" but instead the AI gets better at the higher difficulty levels.

I've just played a couple missions with the highest difficulty level, and got killed 2 times. I guess it is quite a bit harder, but it's not nearly as hard as it should be...I mean I'm sure that a lot of people fly better than I do...

I guess I'll play at the hardest, then...cause if the hardest is only that hard, then the easier ones would be a waste of time (although it would be fun!). I guess it makes up for the crappy AI...I mean most of the fighters just zig-zag back and forth instead of turning around on you, and they let you turn around on them...so they're pretty stupid...the only time I'm vulnerable is when I'm after someone and 2 or 3 guys shoot missiles up my ass.

(not trying to 'dis the game or anything...but just saying that it should be the AI improved on the higher difficulty levels not the ships' strength)

MajiK6pt5

Well, that's SO and prophecy for ya. If you want a real challenge buy WC4 and try beating that on nightmare (or is it insane? can't remember)

BTW welcome to WC, hope you'll like it
smile.gif

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

Last edited by a moderator:
In some ways it's not the AI's fault. Some of the bug weapons are pretty useless, for example the masers, quantum disruptors, light plasmas and that odd lamphrey shield killer. I mean I charge whole waves of Lamphreys, Morays, Remoras, etc and the shields hardly get scratched.
If you want to make the game more challenging try not using missiles or AB. Or aim for 100% on the mission rating system.

Yeah. That's true. I also hate it when games are unrealistic. For example, why would anyone ever invent a combat ship like the lamprey? It sucks and the "shield killer" acts more like a "decoy gun." Those things are so easy to kill...

And the other thing is, I can ram into a Devil Ray and still be barely damaged! That's crazy! If two ships at high velocity collide, the hull should be instantly very damaged, not the shields. At least in Jedi Knight it's done right...

Someone here found out that the shield killer gun is actually a torpedo killer gun

------------------
The time is near.
There are still quite a few days remaining.

I don't care for fame, power or money...
I just want to FIGHT!
-Sanosuke Sagara

You didn't think too hard then, did you?
smile.gif
J/K, but the Lamprey's gun actually does a nice job on torps, etc. It was made to be an interceptor, to meet (and harrass) the bombers and take out the torps as they were launched. With its decent speed, and manuverability, it does a fine job of that. I read all that someplace, one of the many ship databases out there
smile.gif
Couldn't tell you where though. Might have been right here........

------------------
HTML Assistant: WC Space Command
Administrator: UBW 5th Fleet
Member of the LMG and hating it (Disgruntled Man)
I might be right, I might be wrong, but then again, I just might not care either. Got a problem with that?--Me.

Getting swarmed by several Lampreys while in a Shrike is a problem though... they do tend to at least take down what shields there are on that thing and it's almost impossible to get a torpedo or missile throught that baragge. I think they were dumbed down that much because if the Lampreys could shoot down missiles with that freakin scattergun of theirs they would be pretty difficult to kill. I tried flying a Lamprey v. Missle-only SAR and found surviving against Artemis missiles no problem.

It wouldn't have been so stupid if each ship had a comparable level of AI to that of, say WC4 or better, especially under the higher play modes. The shield cannon was supposed to dampen/drain shield slightly with every hit, this never panned out, just like the anti-missile point defense turret, the nukebomb, the gatling grenade gun, the null-g bomblet, multiplayer capability and so on and on.

We've been through all these gripes before, do we have to go through it again?
smile.gif

------------------
You know what? Here, bottle's on me.
My own humble site, this link works
A fan's way to preserve Wing Commander's future

Oh...hehe
tongue.gif

Sorry...

I'm new to the game...didn't know that all of you guys also were upset with some of the stuff...although I think I should have guessed.
wink.gif

Yeah...umm...nm...I guess this has been discussed be4, so there's no point in blabbing about it now...my only point is that the AI should be improved in this and most other games I know...

duuuhhh...ummm....
wink.gif

MajiK6pt5

[This message has been edited by MajiK6pt5 (edited April 26, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by MajiK6pt5 (edited April 26, 2000).]

I never said I was that good, and I'm not trying to offend anyone.

I was kinda hinting (heh) to the programmers who make the games (I know they don't read these, but I had to say it somewhere), not you. I know that you can't change the game (unless you were a programmeur extraordinaire yourself...

wink.gif

MajiK6pt5

Back