WC's best fighter and bomber of all time

Also, not to be pedantic, but the Vampire can't carry torpedoes or flashpaks, just going back to the multi-role advantage of the Dragon.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, there was a Strike loadout package for the Vampire which included two Enhanced Light Torpedoes.

If the Lance/Dragon fission cannons could damage capships like the Devastator's Plasma (which is the only gun on WCP and WCSO that can do that), then it would be some kind of advantage over the Vampire, but, other than that, the Vampire is pretty much the best thing around.

I agree that the Vampire outclasses the Dragon, but I still maintain that the Dragon was a better ship in 2673 than the Vampire is in 2681.

I agree that the Vampire outclasses the Dragon, but I still maintain that the Dragon was a better ship in 2673 than the Vampire is in 2681.

Well, that wing of Dragons on Ella can do massive damage to the poor Confed fleet.

On the other hand, it’s not you can’t blow up Morays by the dozens on WCP.

I would ask, then, if the Excalibur isn't a better ship on 2669. :p

But the Dragon is the sole "do-it-all really well". I'd say the Dragon is a better ship in 2673 than the Excalibur in 2669 because the Dragon had very good dogfight capabilities and excellent anti capship capabilities plus its cloak and unlimited afterbruners and no craft sported heavier protections.
The Excalibur had superior dogfighting capabilites but inferior anti-cap ship capabilities, not such a good cloak and not the best protection. The Excalibur was, of course, the best craft in WC3 but it was less perfect than the Dragon.

Dragon vs Excalibuir is so 1996. :) And I do agree with you on that one.

The Vampire has an edge over the Dragon. Even a hellcat can take down a capship on WC4 because of the way shields worked, but it wasn’t this way on WCP. This makes the Strike Vampire so valuable.

That’s what makes the Rapier II less useful on WC2 (at least in the game they don’t carry torps), and could no longer be used as a Strike craft as it was WC1 – Rapiers were able to destroy the kilrathi starbase on Venice HQ, but Blair couldn’t do it on K’Tithrak Mang.

I think Academy's take on the Scimitar was actually very solid visually. Didn't care so much for the brown, but the design isn't bad.

Yeah, I like the silver, green and red design on the WC1 Scimitar.

I dunno, it wasn't as bad as everyone makes out. The same way I prefer the extra punch of the Raptor over the Rapier, I do prefer flying the Scimitar to the Hornet. Those Mass Drivers and two extra Heat Seekers make up for the 'centurion mud pig' manoeuvrability, in my humble opinion.

If I recall correctly from the blueprints, they're the acceleration absorbers.

In WC1, when the acceleration absorbers got damaged, what was the effect on the handling of the ship?

In WC1, when the acceleration absorbers got damaged, what was the effect on the handling of the ship?

It takes longer to slow down. (Because theirs nothing to absorb the acceleration) However I never worried if they got damaged, I was just glad it wasn't the Shield Generator.

It takes longer to slow down. (Because theirs nothing to absorb the acceleration) However I never worried if they got damaged, I was just glad it wasn't the Shield Generator.

Yep, shields and one or more guns were the worst things to lose.

Successfully finishing a mission with no guns could be very intense. I remember it was a bit frightening to be flying in circles trying to dodge an enemy and hoping your wingman could take him out before he got you.

I can't wait to add the new Arena ships to this discussion. The new Paktahn Mauler looks pretty damn impressive and a fine capship killer. I have a feeling the Paktahn will be one of the fighters I log a lot of time in.

Back