WCPediting Capships

Nep Parth

Spaceman
Looking at Kwave's page and all the capital ships he's converted to Prophecy/SO format (like the Victory, the Black Lance carrier, etc.), I've downloaded a few. Unfortunately, I don't seem to be able to replace any of the capital ships in the game with them.

Is there a way to use WCPedit to replace a capital ship with another capital ship? If not, is there some other way, possibly by modifying the game files?

Note that those models are not capital ships, but rather corvettes. The difference between the two is that the WCP engine treats corvettes like overgrown fighters, while capital ship models are very, very different. Thus, you should be looking at replacing a fighter or a corvette.

Wouldn't the size and speed difference between a Lance Carrier and, say, a Devil Ray cause some problems? Would the carriers ram into each other when they were drawn?

I don't see why... have you seen the Barracuda have any problems because of its size? Or the Kilrathi corvette? I mean, they're still smaller than the Lance Carrier, but the point is that the engine doesn't mind, nor does the AI.

Ok, to make an actual capship for WCP/SO, the model must come with the 'parts' (bridge, engines, hangar...) separated from the model, wich is not the case with the capships extracted from older wc games...they are all in the same model. The model format for games are different...

Different from what im tryng to do for UE...if all works well, they will be like the actual WCP/SO capships and you will be able to target separated parts, also the possibilit of putting more than 6 turrets (the limit for corvette style ships... :( )

Wich remminds me: Quarto, any news on the models? The changes i requested and the damaged models?

Nep Parth, the problem of those 'capships' ramming, is that they are not supposed to be player object, so they shouldnt fly in formation...there is a 'sphere' kind of thing that the AI uses for placing ships in formation, so they wont collide, but appears that is related (someone correct if im wrong) to the size they appear in your ships display...so if i make them capable in flying in formation they will be so small in the display that you probably wont see it...if you change your fighter with a kilrathi corvette, you will notice that they do ram, barracudas too probably...never tryed with them.

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-27-2001 at 01:37]

Right now, we're having some comm problems (we're using two mailing lists, and they both appear to be down :(). And, on top of that, Pedro seems to have very little spare time right now, so he doesn't write all that much.
So what changes exactly have you requested?
I have heard that you need damaged textures, though. They're in the works, apparently... but maybe you could use some other, temporary, textures for now?

How is the conversion going, anyway? :)

Well, im already using some other textures for it (the same ones actually), but without the model changes i requested, i cant do anything...:(
The bridge and engines must be in separated files, not just separated materials in the same model...each part needs to be centered on its axis so you can target it properly, also the bridge needs to be redone. (too many dissapearing faces).
In the atual stage it is you can target and destroy the parts separatedly, only the bridge actually, since the engines arent centered, it doesnt lock properly and the torpedoes dont hit it...cant really do nothing about it until the model is edited.:(

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-27-2001 at 18:08]

Pre-WCP capships with component damage - now that would be nice to see. If you guys can pull it off, I'm sure there'll be some very impressed people, despite what some of them might whinge about the 'component method of destroying capships'. :)

Well, I just forwarded your post to Pedro, KW. You probably already told him before, but with the workload he has right now, it maybe that he forgot (or it may just be that Wildcat didn't have time to do this).

Anyway, the fact that you got it working, even if only partially, in-game, is great. A screenshot, perhaps? ;)

Wedge: We'll all be very impressed - considering that this has never been done before, KW's practically performing a miracle... yet again :D.

Not really...at least for me :D
The hud display from the Intrepid is the Midway just because i have not yet edited it...the devastator one is from a centauri turret mine for the B5 mod im doing ;)

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-28-2001 at 20:54]

Sure, its easy since they are just .mat files (textures)...UE will come with the correct hud display for all ships (i guess), the same for the B5 mod. :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-28-2001 at 21:02]

Yes indeed, we have proper VDU displays for most ships Why only most? Well, we've got quite a few ships, and there's only a limited number of VDU displays in the game, so we couldn't fit all our VDUs in unless we got rid of all Confed ships, which we didn't want to do. But even the ones that don't get their own VDU are using a generic VDU display (ie., the nav buoy), so that people don't complain about flying with Panther VDUs or something ;).

That is very nice, KW, veeeeery nice. Hmm, yes, we had better get you a new VDU image, eh? Say, which MAT is the Midway VDU?
BTW, will this beauty have a hangar component too? Not that it matters too much, since I've got a rather nice automatic landing routine already. Incidentally, it's the BWS Dauntless :).
Hey, that planet looks strangely familiar... if I didn't know any better, I'd say I've been there ;-).

If you could, I'd appreciate a top-down shot of the Dauntless with the Midway beside her. This is for size comparison purposes... the original Bengal-class model was only about 50% of the real Bengal class, so I wanna make sure that this one's all right.

Indeed, a very familiar planet. :)

But what's this about real and not-so-real Bengals and 50% sizing and whatnot?

Well, the Bengal-class model originally made by... er... Tigershark, I believe, for the WC1-WCP conversion is only 50% of the length of a real Bengal. Ie., if you compare it to a WCP ship like the Midway, you will notice that it's only about 350 metres compared to the Midway's 1800, whereas it's supposed to be 690 metres.
This, however, is a different model, made by Wildcat, and I'm just checking if this correction has been taken into account ;). I mean, it probably has, since that was the whole point of making a new model (with textures that still look good at that size), but some things you just gotta be certain of ;).

Just to explain a little mix up i did, the ship is supposed to be named Dauntless, for UE...i dont know why i called it the intrepid...got the names mixed up in my head...wich cause a little confusion on the cic news ;)

Quarto, the size stuff is alredy fixed, i had already reescaled the old model and send to Pedro and Thomas (to build the tree), Pedro probably didnt told you because its not going to be used, since im converting this new model...when its finished, it will be in the correct size, dont worry. :D

[Edited by KillerWave on 05-29-2001 at 18:10]

KW, I just finished the VDU image for the Dauntless. It doesn't seem to work, though... whenever I replace what appears to be the Midway's VDU (00000992.MAT), nothing happens. The game still shows the normal Midway. Is there perhaps another MAT with the Midway VDU?

Anyway, I'm sending the image to you right now.

Back