WCPedit - any good with Standoff?

M

Melek

Thank you for Standoff. Possibly the best fan-project of all time, you've done something amazing for Wing Commander fans everywhere.

*Now* To tinker with your wonderful creation, I was wondering if anybody could shed some light on WCPedit, and a program called TREman.

I'm a bit of a novice when it comes to this sort of thing, so all help would be majorly appreciated.

I'm trying to use WCPedit to tinker with Standoff ships, but even after I've used TREman to unzip ALL the TRE files, I can only ever see the Prophecy 'birds.

Can anyone give me a quick pointer?

Switching to WCPedit 1.8 makes the Standoff ships 'visible' to the editor once they have been extracted from the TRE.

I have unpacked all the TRE files using TREMAN, and they organised in the Standoff directory in their respective files (Ships, Mesh, Mat etc)

HOWEVER

I have all the Standoff IFF files unzipped in the ships folder, and sure, WCPedit can SEE them, but the changes I make to them do not seem to stay!

For instance, if I change the top speed of the Broadsword to 400kps, exit WCPedit and fire up Standoff, the Broadsword top speed is back to 320kps.

No matter what changes I make with WCPedit (ship swapping etc) - They dont carry through into the game.

Please, can somebody with the knowledge just take a moment to help me, I am going insane!! I know that somebody who knows the answer will have read this

It worked! Thank you both! Superb! Now to work out how to get my nav-point marker back!

Ah yes, only now when I start tinkering do I realise just how much effort you have put into making Standoff such a great game, because the changes I made to the game (swapping ships etc) have all invariably made it, a worse game!

Standoff is excellent, and amateurs like me should leave it be.

...and since I can't figure out how to get the Standoff weapons to work after using WCPedit (I'm stuck with the weapons from WCPSO) - I think I'm just going to give up with my tinkering.

Thank you again for a great project.

Oh, we'd be quite happy if more people got proficient at WCP/SO modding; but Standoff uses so many hacks and different files than the original Secret Ops you may be better off getting the basics at modding SO first.

Back