WCPedia: Summer Projects

I believe mu2 comes from the ultimate strategy guide. I've left the rank as Lt throughout, but can change it if needed - whatever the rank at the end of sm1 is will stick i guess! - does the USG mention a rank at that point?

Do we want to put the dates in for the sm1.5 or not? I guess it's up to us to make a decision on the dates the missions occur if we do, or we can leave it blank since there's no ingame or usg source for the dates, only fitting it to the events of sm2.

Shades, the dream sequences are in there, as i say, for the most part i think they're fine in there, they don't break anything story-wise, other than perhaps angel admitting her love, I can't remember if theres any affection between them during sm2 or not.

What should we do about the Armstrong, Blair issue?

No. In SM1 it is Delta Wing. I don't know where the Mu 2 comes from.

Edit: See the screen shot for Valgard 3.

Valgard only has two missions and the script calls them both Mu Wing.

Edit
ok I see where the confusion is coming in. In USG they show Bifrost with three and Valgard with two missions.
In Mark Minasi's book he shows Bifrost with two and valgard with three.

Which is right?

Edit again:
Sigma Wing is at "Site of the Destroyed Kilrathi Supply Depot." which we destroyed in Bifrost 2 so that would make Mark Minasi correct and Bifrost has three missions and Valgard has two.

I'd side with Wedge in going with what the internal nav map says. We can always put a note in the article explaining the confusion about the mission name/location.

Shades, I forgot to tell you, great work and thanks for uploading the SM1 stuff! I think we should be able to finish off SM1 before the Bday next week.

As for Blair/Armstrong/LaFong, we never really came to a final decision on that. We should discuss it more.

During the Bday we can have a little mini-discussion during the party to figure some of this stuff out.

Sigma Wing is at "Site of the Destroyed Kilrathi Supply Depot." which we destroyed in Bifrost 2...
As I said in the talk page, the mission briefing can occur in Bifrost, but the mission itself can be flown in Valgard. Everything about Sigma wing follows the pattern of the Valgard mission series: the fighter you fly, the wingman you fly with, and the internal navigation map specifications.

I suppose if you really want to go into the details, Halcyon does say that the Tiger's Claw is positioned where the depot was, so you'd have to come up with some sort of reasonable explanation as to why the mission is flown in Valgard. But then, these are all system code-names anyway, since this is all Kilrathi territory at this point in time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are all of you planning on coming to the bday party? We should have a little side chat to discuss the focus of the project for the next "WC" year.

I'll be there, and judging from the current state of play for next year will have nothing better to do :p

I plan on taking one of my two 'special leave' days for it.

I made a bit of a mess in the Recent Changes listing again. Basically, after correcting the Proton Accelerator Gun entry, on a whim I decided to look through the Special pages again and did my best to clean up various categories, loose pages and the like. I didn't intend for it to take so long or make so many changes. I hate it when I do that. ):

Heh that's what happens...you see one thing then think "I should make sure it isn't anywhere else" then 4 hours later you are wondering what happened.

I still don't understand how those pages were nominated for deletion? Are we both just missing something here?

Yeah, that's pretty much how it is. In for a... well, you know what I'm going to say by now.

So you saw it all messed up as well? It wasn't just me hallucinating?

I don't know if it's messed up...it just has the weirdest categories/pages in there. It doesn't make any sense.

Ah I fallow you now. I do know that there are various errors in the USG but I have not looked at Minasi's enough to know if it had any errors.

Remember that Secrets of the Wing Commander Universe is not "canonical"--it's an unofficial guide written by a fan playing through the games. The wiki should note any errors in the USG and not reference SotWCU at all.

Hmm, didnt realise that the swc script was different earlier too. Obviously the stealth fighters are mentioned during the sm1.5 (we're told that the same starpost that is developing stealth fighters developed the sivar)

IIRC, lines are appended to several conversations to talk about an ongoing dispute between Admiral Tolwyn and Colonel Halcyon about stealth fighters. Halcyon believes they exist, Tolwyn doesn't. There's also at least one point where the character in the rec room is completely different (possibly more than one, I think we meet Jazz and Doomsday earlier...).

Anyway, my question there is, do we want the dream sequence stuff in, for the most part it's not a problem, possibly except for Angel who voices her love.
I'd prefer it in as while it's not canon in the "everyones alive" sense, it is in that it's in the game and doesnt break anything too bad!

Yes, it should be included--remember that the wiki should be a reference guide and not an attempt to fix contradictions ourselves. Better we point them out directly so the next 'Star*Soldier' knows what needs to be retconned. :) (As for Angel/Blair... in a holistic Wing Commander timeline they already had their moment at the end of the movie...)

SM1.2 and SM2 can fit together. There are enough gapes in the dates from the WC Bible.

Remember that, as strange as it seems, the bible is not "canon". The information has to be published.

Do we want to put the dates in for the sm1.5 or not? I guess it's up to us to make a decision on the dates the missions occur if we do, or we can leave it blank since there's no ingame or usg source for the dates, only fitting it to the events of sm2.

We should sit down with the Freedom Flight, Secret Missions 2 and Secret Missions 1.5 script and figure out which dates we know based on existing references. Ie, we know the day Bossman dies so we know what day it is when Angel says that happened yesterday and so on.

What should we do about the Armstrong, Blair issue?

Embrace it! :)

Are all of you planning on coming to the bday party? We should have a little side chat to discuss the focus of the project for the next "WC" year.

Let me know when you're going to do this, I will have some comments for you. The next WC year should be a big one...

I don't know if it's messed up...it just has the weirdest categories/pages in there. It doesn't make any sense.
Oh, no, I put those in there myself. They were empty redirects or categories that I didn't want to just summarily delete myself without asking you, so I marked them as such. But when Blair and other big articles started popping up, I freaked out and stopped. If you want to keep those categories, then fine. I just didn't see a use for them with other categories already taking their place.

The next WC year should be a big one...
Is that a prediction... or a revelation? :)

Oh, no, I put those in there myself. They were empty redirects or categories that I didn't want to just summarily delete myself without asking you, so I marked them as such. But when Blair and other big articles started popping up, I freaked out and stopped. If you want to keep those categories, then fine. I just didn't see a use for them with other categories already taking their place.

Oh....hmmm. I see your note there as well. I have no idea what happened or why.

LOAF, I was thinking of maybe doing it at some point during the party. Maybe either a little before or after?

you know what would be cool addition to the wcpedia?

a sort of summary to every wc novel. this comes in handy for everyone of us, who replays the wc saga from wc1- prophecy. it simply spares the reading of a whole novel before continuing a new wc game.

The pertinent events in a given novel are usually integrated into a relevant article. A time-line article may include the sort of synopsis you're looking for, but if you really want a story-by-story summary, why not try writing it yourself? That is, after all, the nature of a wiki-based encyclopaedia.

The organization is the trick. Is there even a system in place for "non-universe" articles? The only thing that comes close right now is the "Behind the Scenes" footnotes for certain articles, and I think the publishing notes I added for the Oaths of Service are the closest things that even compare.

That's a bit of a shame. When this project launched I was getting all geared up to write about Chris Roberts' biography and the development of Privateer, but the direction it took put a damper on that. I'm hardly against continuity, but having some context on where things came from and how they got that way would be a nice thing.

The organization is the trick. Is there even a system in place for "non-universe" articles? The only thing that comes close right now is the "Behind the Scenes" footnotes for certain articles, and I think the publishing notes I added for the Oaths of Service are the closest things that even compare.

That's a bit of a shame. When this project launched I was getting all geared up to write about Chris Roberts' biography and the development of Privateer, but the direction it took put a damper on that. I'm hardly against continuity, but having some context on where things came from and how they got that way would be a nice thing.

Creating a separate layer of articles for that is something I don't see an issue with. I've already created a dozen or so "Fan Art Pages" that fit the bill.

But you are right, it's a matter of organization. I'm not against the notion of creating a "Behind the Scenes" or something similar sounding category to include articles of that nature. I know wingnuts would want to read it and we should certainly try to find a place to have it.

At some point on the 10th when everybody is around we can create a #WCPedia on the IRC server and talk about the project there and coordinate for the next "WC" year.

If people are willing to put in the effort, they can have what they want. Isn't that the nature of a project like this? I don't know how active people were before Dund roped me into it (kicking and screaming), but there really doesn't seem to be that many people willing to get involved.

Until then, we make do with the limited resources available. :)

Just a small update for those not checking the 'pedia regularly...

WC1 missions articles are now all up with winning text.

SM1 is almost done (only a few missions left to to do)

SM1.5 is full uploaded but Madman would have to confirm that.

Wedge continues to be a image updating machine....

Shades has jumped onboard and is helping with missions.

Aeronautico continues to upload new articles from a variety of sources.

For the other WCPedia'ers, any status on your projects?

tc cgi, have you done any more work on organizing fighter data?

We are still in need of people who have Wiki editing experience as I can admit I suck with the code for this stuff. I'm probably doing it ass backwards but who knows...so if you've wanted to find a reason to help but weren't sure...this is an area we really need some help with. We've got a lot of data to organize in some articles and need the best way to present it.

Back