WCPedia: Summer Projects

Hello again, Shades. I wouldn't mind, except I don't have a whole lot of free time right now. All this work on the WCPedia has inspired me to start working on some large scale (albeit not-very-noticeable) improvements on my site, something I haven't really done for two years. Still, if you want to forward them, I can have a look through whenever I can, otherwise, why not make your own contributions to the WCPedia? The more people working on it, the less there is to do, individually. :)

You can always upload the files here so we can all take a peek. That stuff will certainly help when I get towards WC2.

~~~! I'm never far from here. I always read the news site I just rarely visit the forum. Or post for that matter.
As to the project. The flow-charting is done and two thirds of it is tested and correct. The last third I just have not had the time to test. And there aren't as many pictures as people would like. Kind of looks like WC2 dose when I did that.
Maybe I'll open a thread and look for volunteers who are willing to play each mission about ten time each to test each and every outcome to check to see if I did it right.

Thanks. I'm going to take a peak at them shortly.

Also a few notes for contributors since I didn't want them to get buried in the project...

Madman - do you want me to forward you the SM1.5 stuff Shades sent me so you can look it over for starting SM1.5 entries?

Wedge - You want me to leave out Nav map images for the remaining WC1 missions so that I don't make extra work for you in having to replace them? It would be only be the last 2 Hell's Kitchen missions (Mu and Theta wings)

Nah, the CIC Guides' JPEGs can suffice for now. Personally, I'd like to take clean snapshots of those images, but I simply can't spare the time for it right now. ):

I think if the articles go without images for a while it won't be a big issue :p

All WC1 mission are now created. Theta and Phi wings don't contain any real data besides some stuff in the infobox. The other sections are currently blank. I'll see about working on them at some point this weekend.

Thanks. I'm going to take a peak at them shortly.

Madman - do you want me to forward you the SM1.5 stuff Shades sent me so you can look it over for starting SM1.5 entries?

Actually I sent you the Script for WC1 not SM1.5. (I understand the confusion though. When I said the file was 1.5m I was stating the files size. I should have said 1.5mb sorry for the confusion.) I don't have the script to flow-chart SM1.5. If someone has it I would love to do it. I do have the text LOAF posted a long time ago on SM1.5 if you need that?

Are you at the point that you need the text for SM or are you not there yet?

I already have the WC1 script. LOAF also sent me SM1/2 scripts and some other docs but I'd be willing to pool resources.

I must have gotten confused with Madman saying he wanted to do the SM1.5 stuff and then you talking about stuff.

In a bit of very geeky action - i've just played through and recorded all of secret missions 1.5 - i'll be happy to work through making pages for those missions if you'd like?

I created a "The Secret Missions 1.5" category for you to work with in the Missions category. You can look at the mission entry template and any of the WC1 missions to understand how to format and code the page.

I've finally finished the WC1 missions general entries. Heh only took me forever. The document Shades sent me, which I have to say is amazing, has spawned a few ideas about how to organize the alternate mission text. Shades, if you have SM1/2 flowcharted the same way that would be great. They will be a great help in uploading mission text and a great tool to help cross-check the text.

Every WC1 mission entry now has just the winning script text. I'm going to play around with how to display losing text then start adding that as well. Also going to start on SM1 mission entries this weekend. It's quite a bit easier to complete than WC1 so it should go up quickly.

It's been a great summer so far for WCPedia as well. Just to compare since the beginning of the year:

CIC Update 3760 Jan 21 said:
Wing Commander Encyclopedia statistics

There are 2,126 total pages in the database. This includes "talk" pages, pages about Wing Commander Encyclopedia, minimal "stub" pages, redirects, and others that probably do not qualify as content pages. Excluding those, there are 1,004 pages that are probably legitimate content pages.

603 files have been uploaded.

There have been a total of 997,554 page views, and 6,557 page edits since Wing Commander Encyclopedia was setup. That comes to 3.08 average edits per page, and 152.14 views per edit.

Current statistics

WCPedia said:
There are 2,453 total pages in the database. This includes "talk" pages, pages about Wing Commander Encyclopedia, minimal "stub" pages, redirects, and others that probably do not qualify as content pages. Excluding those, there are 1,067 pages that are probably legitimate content pages.

667 files have been uploaded.

There have been a total of 1,324,331 page views, and 9,757 page edits since Wing Commander Encyclopedia was setup. That comes to 3.98 average edits per page, and 135.73 views per edit.

Almost 400,000 page views and 3,200 edits! Great work winguts!

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't have it on me right now but I'll get it to you.

Madman I'd like to see what you copied down for SM1.5 to compare it to LOAF's copy. I don't know if SM1.5 has a branching story line or not. I would be interested in finding out.

Madman I'd like to see what you copied down for SM1.5 to compare it to LOAF's copy. I don't know if SM1.5 has a branching story line or not. I would be interested in finding out.

It would because then a simple flowchart could be sent to NinjaLA to create a graphic for it.

Speaking of which, NinjaLA I seem to recall a week or two back you promising me those images I'd asked for :p Any chance you've got them ready?

work called, I've been in one port or another for most of those 2 weeks. I get back to my graphic box in a few days though. I'll put them together. I promise.

Just simple mission one. Ninja is working on mission tree graphics like the one seen at the top level of the WC1 mission category. He just needs the flowchart so that he can then draw the graphic.

Back