WCPedia: Summer Projects

that one wasnt me ;) but i couldn't work out how to fix it. also do you know what i did wrong to stop the columns lining up perfectly in borderzone?

You probably need to specify the exact size for each cell.

I've been making the tables 800 pixels long. So I then split that into two 400 cells and then match up. If you don't they like to dance, even if you have some of them sized. It's a pain.

No, don't use 400-pixel widths. I fixed it for you, Madman, by using relative widths - since the tables have borders, etc, the segments aren't exactly half of the parent's width. So using relative widths, in this case, is the better option. (And the log said it was you, Madman, so you can't really say it was someone else unless someone else was using your account.)

Edit: Madman, good work on updating the SM1.5 section, but I encourage you to watch out for your spelling and capitalisation, especially with the words Kilrathi and Terran Confederation.

huh, i'm certain that table was kaput before i played around - guess i'm wrong. sorry!

So i've done up to cairo 3 - getting to grips with writing my own tables now :) I do need to spell check a bit I know, but the new speech, im writing in while listening to it, so it's a little trickier to be word perfect first time :)

for the time being i'd like to leave the old text in - just so i can confirm it's all right when i finish up the missions :)

other than these little cosmetic things though, is it okay so far?

Ah, we were talking about different things, Alpha wing - enyo needed fixing, the bottom half of the table was stuck on the right side of the upper half.
I've fixed it up now, just removed the align=left comment for the upper table.

Bob...nice thinking uploading those documents from AS. Jason Ryock typed up the other ones for me this evening and I uploaded them. I've created a TEMP category for those until we find a permanent home for them.

How should we organize these and other "official" communications?

Last edited by a moderator:
for the time being i'd like to leave the old text in - just so i can confirm it's all right when i finish up the missions
Leaving drafts in articles is a bad idea - you can use the Discussion/Talk page for that, if you want. Dund's used the Talk page for drafts before.

hmm, well i should have finished the speech splits by the end of the week - so it's not the end of the world if i leave them there until then right?

The point is that what's on the article pages should either be as 'finished' as we can make it, or explicitly flagged as a WIP, such as the 'TEMP' pages. Leaving draft material in confuses editors and anyone who may happen to be visiting. Granted, we might not have many of the latter at the moment, but I think it's good practice to set habits now, not later.

okay, i've moved the debriefs in one of the cairo missions to the discussion page as well.
Also, changed a tweak you did to Anchorage 1, Halcyon says "at least that much good came of it" no matter of whether you fail or win, so that should not be a 50% box under fail but a 100% box for both.

Bob...nice thinking uploading those documents from AS. Jason Ryock typed up the other ones for me this evening and I uploaded them. I've created a TEMP category for those until we find a permanent home for them.

How should we organize these and other "official" communications?

I've been thinking about this all night and I REALLY think that the "War Declaration" page needs to have it's own article that should include or link to the article text.

There is alot about the War Declaration that needs to be explained - like that it's a limited action, and that some high-ranking Confed officers don't believe in it, and that the Kilrathi are basically allowing it to occur in order to lull Confed into a false sense of security.

And we want to put the audio quote from the Ambassador at the start of the WC Movie on this page too as part of our explanations and explorations of the start of the war.

But that's just my two cents. I think an event this big needs it's own article.

I've been thinking about this all night and I REALLY think that the "War Declaration" page needs to have it's own article that should include or link to the article text.

There is alot about the War Declaration that needs to be explained - like that it's a limited action, and that some high-ranking Confed officers don't believe in it, and that the Kilrathi are basically allowing it to occur in order to lull Confed into a false sense of security.

And we want to put the audio quote from the Ambassador at the start of the WC Movie on this page too as part of our explanations and explorations of the start of the war.

But that's just my two cents. I think an event this big needs it's own article.

Yeah that's certainly something we can do. We can start building the article in a TEMP form. If you want, you can start that as a little project. It'd be a good way for you to learn some code and not have to worry about an overly complex layout.

Please... no apostrophes. ):

?

Yeah that's certainly something we can do. We can start building the article in a TEMP form. If you want, you can start that as a little project. It'd be a good way for you to learn some code and not have to worry about an overly complex layout.

Okay, I can do that. I finished a rough of the Concordia today, and I'm working on cleaning it up into something better then draft form. I don't think it flows to well.

EDIT: Also I found another 'document' from AS, Turners report to Banbridge about the start of the war. It's not block texted like the others so I stumbled across it re-reading the battle for Concordia references. I put it on your talk page.

You kept writing "it's" the contraction of it is instead of the possessive "its" in the post.

Okay, I can do that. I finished a rough of the Concordia today, and I'm working on cleaning it up into something better then draft form. I don't think it flows to well.

EDIT: Also I found another 'document' from AS, Turners report to Banbridge about the start of the war. It's not block texted like the others so I stumbled across it re-reading the battle for Concordia references. I put it on your talk page.

That's fine. I'll be on IRC in an hour or so. Just doing some other stuff at the moment.

I created a category called Historical Documents to deal with all the verbatim in-universe stuff. Right now I have all the Action Stations documents plus the letter of condolence written by Angel to Bossman's wife from the Confed Handbook. I plan on typing out the newspiece about Arnold Blair's death, and maybe the letter from Paladin to Tolwyn at the end, plus the letter Paladin writes to Blair at the top of the ICIS. The two make interesting comparitive reading.

I haven't taken the TEMP_Action Stations tags off. We probably want to have them sorted by book as well. The important thing is that people can find what they're looking for; cross-referencing is a good thing.

Some things that probably got missed with the flurry of editing I did last night:

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Talk:WCPedia_Rules said:
I know the rule is "don't steal from Wikipedia, only from yourself"... but what if the two are the same? For instance, I wrote the entry on the Confederation and it's still sitting there six years later, practically unchanged and being voted on to merge with the main article. I think parts of it are better than what we have now - so could I go and rip those parts from my last solo revision? I'm itching for a go at the whole article, actually.

I also wrote an overview on battleships that's since been deleted - gone for over two years now. I don't have the original anymore, but it's still floating around the internet on various Wikipedia copycat sites. I'd like to take it, try and clean it up, bring it up to date. Is that kosher?
Bob McDob 11:53, 12 August 2010 (CDT)

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Category_talk:Factions said:
Category talk:Factions]
Why isn't this listed on the sidebar? It's at least as important as "Equipment" - and Empire of Kilrah is a lot more major than Isometal Armor. Bob McDob 12:00, 12 August 2010 (CDT)

https://www.wcnews.com/wcpedia/Talk:Peter_Halcyon said:
Talk:peter Halcyon]
Where does the part about Halcyon being killed on the 'Claw come from? He probably died, but that's a far cry from stating he definitely did. Bob McDob 12:22, 12 August 2010 (CDT)

The sidebar is actually in open to editing...I just have to remember how to do it. You both should be able to (at least Wedge with SysOp).

Back