WCPedia: Summer Projects

So i've put up a version (s) of the award ceremony for the golden sun, it's very messy though so any thoughts on making it neater would be nice! We need to find out how the game allocates lines of text - guess work probably won't cut it here, since there's three alternatives at one point, working out what is used where and why will be a nightmare!

I've tidied it as best I can - please try not to mess it up too badly if using the WYSIWYG editor for subsequent revisions.

...in the way that, say, Origin releasing some of the Ultima Online code on an open license let people set up private emulation servers.
I'm not aware of that sort of going-ons, but private servers will undoubtedly be set-up with or without legal restrictions in place. What loophole are they exploiting in this case?

I'm not aware of that sort of going-ons, but private servers will undoubtedly be set-up with or without legal restrictions in place. What loophole are they exploiting in this case?

I don't like sourcing things from Wikipedia, but in this case it's the only source I've got:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultima_Online_shard_emulation said:
Shard emulation for Ultima Online got its start during the beta-stage of the game's development in 1996 and 1997, when a program called Ultima Offline eXperiment was released that allowed the players to setup offline servers the game client could connect to. The source-code for version three of this program was released under the GNU General Public License sometime in 1998, which spawned a host of forks, clones and complete reimplementations.

Looking at it now, actually, it seems like it was actually a fan-developed server emulator that predated the DMCA, with no direct involvement from Origin, and only continues to be an issue because of the sheer longetivity and lasting popularity of UO. There was an earlier revision of the same article that gave a different impression.

But I've also read things to the effect of "once open-source, always open-source" - meaning that once something is released under a public license, any subsequent work done to it will still fall into the public domain. There were a couple of other cases where this was supposed to have come into play, most of them software-related. I remember that Freespace 2 was supposed to have fallen afoul of this, with Interplay or Volition being unable to sell the game again once the source code was release...

...which didn't stop them from doing it anyway at full price, at the height of the engine's popularity and internet publicity. Even Wikipedia agrees with this. So I'm terribly confused in every respect. It's a classic FUD case: everything I'm finding as I look into it points the other way, but because of some dimly remembered hearsay and the potentially devastating consequences I'm terribly nervous.

...On a more productive note, here are the nav maps for what should be all of the Privateer star systems:

* Clarke Quadrant
* Fariss Quadrant
* Humboldt Quadrant
* Potter Quadrant

Here's the catch (there's always one, isn't there?): they're in MHTML. When I saved them (years ago - it was either with IE or Opera, can't remember), my only thought was for using them as reference to build Reckoning's star maps, and figured that since .mht was so much more compact than using seperate folders-and-files, it wouldn't be an issue. Oh, how wrong I was. I don't feel like going through them and saving them all by hand (they need cropping anyway), so see what you can do with them. There's apparently lots of tools now that can be used to edit .mht files, but with my primary computer undergoing repairs I'm down to one eight-year old laptop in operation, and I don't feel like doing anything particularly adventurous on her.

Oh, one more thing: I didn't make these webpages originally, nor did I take the screenshots. I don't know whether that's an issue or not - I think the original pages died not long after I saved them, and anyway, isn't the art copyright Origin and EA in the first place?

I'm not sure about the once/forever idea, but an open-source licence does not equate to public domain. But I'm nit-picking. My understanding is that the whole point of 'copy-left' is to protect the author's right to being credited with creating a piece of work, and to prevent others from taking such a work - freely given to the public - and making a profit off it, whether directly or through some derivative of the work. In your particular case, it should be to prevent someone else from taking what you've written and claiming it as their own, or otherwise benefiting from it, be it financially or otherwise.

And yes, you're right, really it's Origin/EA who own the rights to whatever we're working on since all of this is based on their intellectual property.

The MHTs are from Internet Explorer: they're Microsoft's way of packaging a web-page into a single file. (Wow, those files were saved in IE5...) If the source of the images really troubles you so much, it's a trivial matter to grab fresh images. I won't do anything with them now, but if and when we get some Privateer-related pages going, I'll start adding them as needed.

Did some category organizing and created a few articles this evening.

I'm thinking we have an IRC meeting in a few weeks to talk shop and WC. Pick a time on the weekend so that all the WCPedia contributors can be there. We've been doing great since the birthday on uploading new articles.

I'm thinking September 4th for the IRC meeting. Have the guys throw it on the front page early next week so the word gets out and we get a good turn out. We've been having some really good WC discussions in #wingnut and it'd be good to have some more people to chat with.

Wedge made a good point on IRC the Jason Bondarevsky page is on its way to being our premier character page. I added a bunch of images to the article at certain points. Mostly ships so far.

Wedge do you have any shots of Bear in cutscenes from SO1? If there are any scenes you think would look good in that section of the article throw them up there.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's Fathers' Day, so I won't be available for that and other reasons. And yes, I know Fathers' Day is 5th September.

In terms of cut scenes, Bear only appears in that prison scene, and you already have his close-up at the top of the page. Unless you want the zoomed-out view which also shows Blair, Tolwyn, et al.

That's Fathers' Day, so I won't be available for that and other reasons. And yes, I know Fathers' Day is 5th September.

In terms of cut scenes, Bear only appears in that prison scene, and you already have his close-up at the top of the page. Unless you want the zoomed-out view which also shows Blair, Tolwyn, et al.

Does the 12th work?

As for the picture, hmmm I'm guessing that image at 100-150 pixels won't exactly be worth the effort.

I suggest the rest of you meet whenever you can. I don't think it'd be worth trying to get me involved. Sundays, I'm at church and with family, Mondays I'm at work. That equates to Saturday and Sunday for folks in the Americas.

If it's a full body image of Bear that you're after, then yeah, it's probably too small to work with.

As per Dund's request, there's a WIP tag for people to use in flagging articles as WIPs. So, you know, you can't complain when I over-edit your work any more. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job with those other article marker templates Wedge. You should create a page listing all of them and put it into the sidebar. It would definitely be useful to have those handy.

We should also think about looking at infoboxes. Are they in final form or is there anything we might like to change/add/etc? Lastly, do we need any other infoboxes?

Yes, but see how I made the tags active on that page as well to display them. That way we have quick access to them and new users can find them easy (and understand them) as well.

Granted the same thing is done on all the individual pages, but having them listed out visually is important as well.

Back