WCPedia: Small Project help

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
Wanted to contribute but weren't sure how? Well I have a small project that would do a lot of good and can be easily accomplished by anyone who has a little bit of time.

I'll quote myself from the relevant discussion page.

WCPedia said:
Ship/fighter organization needs to be taken care of. It's very dispersed now. I realize the need to organize in multiple ways, but first we need to handle the basics then we can make further category breakdowns later on. We should have ships/fighters organized in these subcategories for each faction: Capital Ship Class Type (Carrier, Cruiser, etc), Capital Ship Class Name (Bengal-Class, Concordia-Class, etc), Individual Capital Ships (TCS Victory, TCS Concordia, etc), Fighter Type (Light, Medium, Heavy, Bomber), Fighter Name (F-27 Arrow, etc). This will make the category much clearer. Someone should take on this project of redoing all article and category pages.

So what someone needs to do is go through the current ships category and reorganize it along those lines.

So the main ships page should only show faction names: Confederation, Kilrathi, Pirate, Civilian, Retro, Union of Border Worlds, Nephilim, Steltek, CIS

In those subcategories would be: Capital Ships and Fighters

Under Capital Ships: Type, Class Name, Individual Ships
Under Fighters: Type, Class Name

Under Capital Ship Type: Dreadnaught, Carrier, Cruiser, Destroyer, Corvette, Transport
Under Fighter Type: Light, Medium, Heavy, Bomber

This way will streamline the organization of ships. I just need someone to go through all the existing ship category articles and reorganize them in the above method.

Anybody willing to give us a hand?

Last edited by a moderator:
I started the project by doing the highest level of the category. I also categorized the Bhantkara-Class Carrier and Darket under the new system and started the second level of the Kilrathi category to show people what I wanted.

Ok so I had some free time today and I went ahead and completely restructured the WCPedia Ships Category. :p I've gone ahead and tried to categorize as much as possible all existing articles so people can understand how the system works.

Basically most ship articles will 99% of the time fall into 2 subcategories, in a few cases a ship might fall into as many as 6 subcategories because they are used by multiple factions (Confed, UBW, FRL) however they are extremely limited in number.

When creating new ship (cap and fighter) articles just look at the categorization of something similar (heavy fighter, cruiser, etc) and copy and paste the correct category tags into your new article.

For certain factions I didn't break down the subcategories as much because I thought it would have only created unnecessary pages with one link on them. (See FRL and Pirates, Civvies, Steltek, etc)

Another project completed.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm also going to look at reorganizing the Characters category as well. Right now it's in a similar state to what Ships looked like.

This week I'm going to work on finishing WC1 mission entries with script text.

If anyone is interested in helping add USG text let me know. I'm going to see about scanning in some pages so that people can help me type it all in.

Can you just OCR scanned pages into text?

Yeah, most scanners worth their weight include OCR software. Unless the text is fuzzy or for some reason very crinkled and folded, newer software is actually pretty good at this. All you need to do is a quick proof-read to make sure everything transfered right but it's sure a lot quicker than typing everything in.

I guess I can...I haven't used a scanner in probably 10 years, so I wasn't sure what the tech level was at. I'm in the process of trying to beg, borrow or steal one now.

I hope that was just part of an expression and that you're not actually going to 'permanently borrow' one. o.o

Back