WCPedia: New Fighter Infobox...help

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
I've been working on a new infobox for fighters/ships for WCPedia. I didn't really like the look of the tables we had for some fighters and wanted to create a more diverse infobox to hold all the information. However, I am also trying to figure out another way to display all the variant info in such a way as to make easy comparison possible. If anyone has ideas...please post them as I'm really not sure how to handle it.

I've gone and done that here. However, as you can see I haven't got the code quite right and to be honest I have no clue where it is wrong. I was wondering if another set of eyes could view it over and see where I've made a mistake. I essentially used the old infoboxes as templates but for some reason I just started getting the loop error and that odd {{if# text at the top.

Any help is appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry, can't you much here, but I must say, I really like the look of the new infobox. Though I think it could be improved by splitting the info into two columns with Type centered over the two columns:

Column 1:
Manufacturer
Primary User
Introduction
Crew
Length
Mass
Max Velocity
Cruise Velocity

Column 2:
Guns
Missiles
Armor
Shields
Decoys
Cloak
Jump Drive
Devices

Just a thought.

Perhaps but how about first I figure out how I screwed up one column? :p

I've seen the type of infoboxes you are talking about (for battles and things they have 2 columns and multiple sections) but I have no clue how to create or modify them. Hell I don't even know how I screwed up the current one since I copy and pasted the old infobox into a new template and only added lines...that somehow screwed something up.

I'm still trying to figure out the best way for displaying ship stats in a way that allows for easy comparison (while I like the current tables, they will become unwieldy for certain ships ie. Broadsword, Arrow, Rapier, Dralthi, etc).

Hmm ok that removed the {{if:image line but another remains and it says I still have a loop.

Any ideas?

Try adding another two brackets after this part:

{{#if:{{{devices|<noinclude>-</noinclude>}}}|
{{!}} style="text-align:left;" {{!}} '''Devices'''
{{!}} {{{devices}}}
{{!}}-

Well it did fix that other IF# thing.

Try removing that ! in this segment.
{| {{WPMILHIST Infobox style|main_box|vcard}}
|-
! class="fn" colspan="2" {{WPMILHIST Infobox style|header_bar_{{{faction}}}}} | {{{name}}}
|-

Note, I increased the size of the ! for clarity.

Hmm sometimes editing this is weird. I didn't see the other if# thing disappear until today. When I checked last night after saving it it remained.

If I remove the ! then that entire line becomes visible.

Iceblade do you have a WCPedia account? You could always try playing around with it yourself. I think you have a better grasp of this stuff than I do.

No I don't have an account and I don't have much of a grasp of this. I'm just did some basic debugging/error fixing.

Well you certainly seem to have a better grasp than I :p

Create yourself an account. We can always use extra hands on the project.

From what I can make out, you need to put <noinclude> tags around the bottom part of the article, otherwise it tries to include the demonstration call to the template whenever you call the template.

I also wanted to bring up the point about Capship infoboxes. I'm thinking we should create infoboxes specifically for them. Now that I've figured out how to create new ones (with a little help from my friends :p ) I think we should.

I'm not going to delete or remove the original fighter infobox template that have been used since Day 1, but I think we should make new ones to fit better what we want to display.

One thing I'm still missing...if you don't put in the variable line in the article infobox (ie "|fighter complement = ") the infobox will display the variable with {{{fighter complement}}} in the spot where the variable would be.

Any ideas how to prevent this? I feel like the original infobox allows you to do this with no ill results.

Back