WCPedia: Check out this week's work

Dundradal

Frog Blast the Vent Core!
This is just my little way of making sure everyone sees the great progress we will have been making this past week and in future weeks.

This week I worked on WC1 Missions adding script and USG text for several systems. If you've never had a chance to read the USG text I highly recommend browsing through the mission articles.

Sylvester has been hard at work on the Vesuvius-Class article and the Midway-Class article. Be sure to check them out.

There have been some other minor updates, but those are the main things. I'll try and make sure to post updates weekly so that people can see what we have been working on.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, it's great seeing the progress being made in the recent contributions thing.

Keep up the good work guys. :)

Thanks. I actually really enjoy working on the project. I can't wait until we wrap up WC1 PC and move onto SM1 and SM2.

This week has been really busy on the site. Hell today has been real busy the entire Recent Changes page is entirely filled up with stuff from this morning.

I'm going to start working on Port Hedland later today. I can almost see the end of the WC1 missions. However we still need to figure out what to do with certain sections of the Ultimate Strategy Guide text. LaFong's time at the Academy, pre-WC1 stuff, and the Between Missions sections that occur during the mission texts.

I'm trying to figure out a way to incorporate them so they are easy to find, but also make it clear that they sort of outside those areas as well. I might just create articles like "Between Missions - Post McAuliffe" etc and include links in the mission articles while sticking the Between mission article itself in the WC1 mission category.

Last edited by a moderator:
Also, I'd appreciate feedback on the work done so far. Does anyone have any additional suggestions? Is there anything missing that you think we need to add?

I've reorganized the WC1 mission category a bit. Now each system has its own subcategory. I also plan to make the mission tree an image map to jump to the first mission in each system at a later date. Those systems not organized yet are still incompete...that way I know what I still have to work on. They will be moved when they are finished.

Do people think that this way is better? I want to get a standardized system in place so we can use it for all the games that follow.

Thanks! Hopefully I'll have the image map ready sometime later today.

While there isn't an official meeting this week, if people do want to swing by #wingnut and discuss the project I should be around.

Thought I'd update everyone. The last few weeks have been busy for me so I haven't been able to finish off the remaining WC1 mission entries. Hopefully in the coming weeks I'll have a bit of time to devote to finishing them off and working on any other remaining WC1 entries. Then we can move ourselves onto SM1 and its related entries.

We continue to fight the good fight Heart of the Tigers...

I was curious, is there a reason why the asteroids entry was deleted? Would it be ok if I created a new one or undeleted the old one and brought it up to a higher standard?

Not sure. Was I the one who deleted it? For some reason I can't figure out how to get back into the deletion log.

I don't see a problem in recreating it if you bring it up to a higher standard.

Just wanted to update on the my status concerning this...I'm going to try and find some time in the next 2 weeks to finish off the text and images for the WC1 mission entries. It's been a bit busy for me lately, but I fully plan on returning to this when time allows. I'd love to have at least through SM1 done by the CIC's birthday in August, if not all the way through SM2.

To others working on this as well, keep up the good work.

Update - work has got me pretty busy for the next week or so (and you can blame Quarto for taking away my time from this...pfftt Standoff release date deadline....bahh! :p )

However, by the end of the month I should be able to devote a few days to finishing off the mission entries and going through and polishing any of them that are missing stuff.

Several people have PM'd me about the project and no we aren't dead, just that right now life is in the damn way :p For those looking for something to do, go through WC1 entries and see if anything is missing, double check articles that are already up for accuracy, and create new articles on things that we might be missing. If WC1 isn't your speciality then certainly feel free to work on an area you feel comfortable with. A lot of the ship entries could use 5 angle shots (which can be created using WCNav fairly easily) while others are in need of more text.

Essentially grab a piece of WC continuity and get to work. We really should make it our goal to have WC1 completely done and at least a chunk of SM1 complete by August 10 of this year.

Any takers?

Same here. I should be able to devote some days by the end of the month. I'll work on mission entries and see if I can help with the ship shots.

I'm planning on using most of the 2nd week of June to finish up any mission entries that are left. By then I should have gotten through enough work to budget out some time.

There has been some small updates from a few users on the site over the last 2 weeks. I'm still playing on devoting the 2nd week of June to finishing off the remaining WC1 missions. With summer almost in full swing, I was wondering if there were others interested in helping on the project. If you need a direction to be pointed in and what to start working on drop me a PM and we can find something for you to help contribute.

Apologies for those following the project. I've had a few unforeseen events pop up this week that haven't allowed me to have the time I'd like to sit down and finish those articles. I'm going to see about trying to get a few done this weekend.

Hey Dundradal, since you are doing the WC1 missions, I was wondering. Are you gonna put the alternate dialogues from SWC?

I don't know how many are different, but I clearly remember that in the second mission on Enyo Maniac does a comment about Tolwyn and Stealth Fighters.

it goes like this. Shotglass says the same as in the normal game, but he has an added line at the end:

Shotglass:
Hear you flew with Spirit yesterday, $C.
She's a quiet little thing, but she's a heckuva flier.
She's rock-steady, follows orders, and don't fire till she's sure of her shot.
I was always glad to have Spirit on my wing when I was still flying.
[if Spirit is dead, he adds:
Damn shame she didn't make it back.
Don't take it personal, kid. Spirit was a good flier, and she knew the risks.
Still, I wish I had my hands on the fleabag that got her!]
Oh, I heard from Maniac over there that the Kilrathi are working on some secret weapon.
You might ask him about it. Though I'd caution you not to necessarily believe him.
He's given to exaggeration now and then, you know.

and Maniac appears instead of spirit and says:

Hi. You must be $C. Have a seat.
How's it going so far?
I hear you're doing okay... for a rookie.

Hunter interrupts:
'Ey, tell 'em about what you were tellin' me

Maniac:
All right, all right. You've heard there's some strange stuff goin' on?
No? Well, I heard from a friend in intel that the Kilrathi are working on some secret weapons.
Also, I heard from another friend that Admiral Tolwyn and the Colonel have been arguing about this.
Whether the stealth technology exists or not, I mean.
The word is the Colonel believes the Kilrathi are real close.
And the Admiral thinks it's all just a crock.
Who knows, I say. We'll see eventually, I guess.

Hunter says the same as the original game as far as I remember:

You're $C, right? They call me Hunter, mate. G'day.
Spirit was tellin' me about your tumble with the hairballs.
Sounds like you really mixed it up out there.
'At's the way, isn't it, mate?
Just you and some hairball, twistin' about, tryin' t'get a missile lock.
Formations, uniforms, medals, wingmen...that's all sheepdip.
All a bruce can count on out there is 'imself and 'is missiles.

It's weird how he mentions Spirit as being there when in this version Maniac is there instead of her.

I got these text from the briefing.000 of SWC.

You must always remember that Hunter advocates drinking while on duty, as long as you don't get caught. He is not to be trusted for factual information.

It's weird how he mentions Spirit as being there when in this version Maniac is there instead of her.
The text you quoted for Hunter, that's exactly what was said in SWC? If so, then there's actually a subtle change in there that addresses the problem you mention. In the original, Hunter says "Spirit 'ere was tellin' me...". In this version you quoted, the "'ere" is dropped. So rather than Hunter pointing at Spirit and telling you what she'd just told him, the implication is simply that Hunter had talked to Spirit at some point in time - but not necessarily there and then.

The text you quoted for Hunter, that's exactly what was said in SWC? If so, then there's actually a subtle change in there that addresses the problem you mention. In the original, Hunter says "Spirit 'ere was tellin' me...". In this version you quoted, the "'ere" is dropped. So rather than Hunter pointing at Spirit and telling you what she'd just told him, the implication is simply that Hunter had talked to Spirit at some point in time - but not necessarily there and then.

I didn't notice that. I did see an extra "and" in Shotglass dialogue in the line:

"She's rock-steady, follows orders, and don't fire till she's sure of her shot."

So, they probably revised the dialogue and changed/fixed a few things.

Back