WCPedia: Check out this week's work

Hey Dundradal, since you are doing the WC1 missions, I was wondering. Are you gonna put the alternate dialogues from SWC?

I don't know how many are different, but I clearly remember that in the second mission on Enyo Maniac does a comment about Tolwyn and Stealth Fighters.

At a future point, I would like to add in alternate dialogue into the entries, but for now I'd just like to get their core stuff in.

At a future point, I would like to add in alternate dialogue into the entries, but for now I'd just like to get their core stuff in.

I should note that this doesn't mean if others would like to amend the articles with the alternative dialogue they shouldn't do it. By all means, please feel free to add a relevant section to each article and upload it into WCPedia.

Update to my status....well my plans for the 2nd week of June obviously went out the window, as have devoting time in the following weeks. However, during July I won't have as much outside work to do and should be able to finish up those mission entries.

My goal is to have WC1 missions done by the CIC bday and get a bit into SM1. I don't believe there is too much left of WC1 to cover, but if someone would like to go through and see if anything is missing and put it on a to-do list that would be great.

I'm back to work on WC1 mission entries. I wanted to bring up a point/question. For the mission dates/times I've been using those found on Wedge's site, however I've noticed the old encyclopedia has differing dates.

Which dates are accurate? Which ones should be used? While it's something small that can be changed later, I'd like to cut out some extra work if possible.

Whatever is not mine. I think I made a note that my times are purely arbitrary, with dates only loosely based on LOAF's reckoning. :eek:

Well I now have no doubt I will finish the WC1 mission entries by August 10th. I learned today that my summer class for July has been cancelled (only 3 students min. is 5) so as a result I have quite a bit more free time on my hands for WCPedia and Standoff testing. Hopefully I can have the WC1 missions done by mid-next week and start at least the core stuff for SM1 mission entries. Luckily, LaFong isn't as wordy for those entries so it shouldn't be as bad for inputing USG text.

Do we have a copy of the SM1/SM2 scripts around? I'd like to have it handy when starting on those missions in the coming weeks.

While normally I wouldn't like to see myself out of work for any amount of time, I actually wouldn't mind if my August class was cancelled as then I could attend the CIC birthday party. Well here's to thinking somewhat positive about it. :p

As always I could use any and all help on the project. Either pick an area, or drop me a line and I can point you into something that could help me out (like creating basic mission entries of nav maps, enemies, etc while I'll fill in USG/script text).

Managed to almost finish up the Kurasawa series (just need to add USG text for K3). I'm going to try and finish that up this weekend and move onto the remaining systems. Only Rostov and Venice have super long USG entries, the rest are only a few paragraphs.

Should be able to make my deadline...

After a weeklong cross country trip I'm going to devote the next few days to working on the remaining mission entries. I plan to get all the articles at least created with the basic stuff in and then later go back and enter in the USG text as it takes the longest for me to do.

I should make the Bday deadline though...

Good on you, Dund, for continuing to work on this.

<sigh> If only I had the time to contribute like in days gone by...

Reporting in....

So I wasn't able to finish the WC1 mission entries because of the demands of Standoff testing...however that doesn't mean nothing was accomplished. Aeronautico continues to work hard on adding all kinds of things.

And NinjaLA was nice enough to create a new logo for WCPedia which is now viewable on the main page of the project. You'll notice the background is the sprawling campus of the Oxford library.

However, in the coming weeks I should be able to polish off WC1 entries and move into SM1.

LOAF, do you have a copy of the SM1 script?

So my above post didn't really work out too well. I've been busy with work the last few months, so finding time to work on this project has been hard. But I am going to do my damnedest to try and set aside an hour a week to working on finishing the WC1 mission entries.

We've all been a bit quiet over the last 6 months or so and I'd like to change that with renewed interest in this project. We had some high goals for it, however we've fallen a bit short. I don't want to set a new deadline (because we know we'd never reach it), but I'd really like people to join in where they can. Uploading and organizing an image, polishing an article, etc.

I'm going to try and set aside some time on Jan 19th to do at least 2 more mission entries. Hopefully everything works out and I'll be able to post an update.

Update

I managed to add the USG text for Gamma Wing - Rostov this morning. Hopefully I can get some more done later...

I had a question for everyone that I wanted their thoughts on. The Ultimate Strategy Guide not only has LaFong's mission recaps but also "Between Missions" sections. I would like to incorporate these into the missions category but not exactly sure how I want to do it.

I'm thinking that after missions where such sections occur I'd add a link at the end of the memoirs section linking to the between mission text as a separate article. From that page then have a link to the next mission page. I'd list the Between Missions articles on the main WC1 mission category page as well.

Sound like a good idea? Or does anyone else have something they think might work better?

Last edited by a moderator:
Been thinking about alternative WC1 script text. Is the best way to simply create another heading that presents the different failure alternatives? Or should they be linked into another article? I don't want to go and make the mission articles overly clunky by packing them too heavy with material.

Thoughts?

I think a separate section within the article clearly marked as 'alternative text' or some such should be sufficient.

Yeah I'm just afraid the articles (especially for WC1) will become exceedingly long.

I think I'll pick a mid-game mission and add all the alternative text to see how big it makes the article. I'll let everyone know when I test it out to get feedback.

I think anything smaller than mission-sized articles will be too small. I really don't think the dialogue for a single mission is that much, and the alternative text on top of that should only be a small proportion on top of that.

But go ahead and make a test, and if the results seem okay, go for it.

Perhaps since it would only be a handful of lines.

This is what I'm thinking....

At the end of a mission article I'll create an "Alternative Paths" or something header...

Then below it have one for PreFlight, Briefing and Debriefing with the other line variants. I'd then (for WC1) break it into WC1 alt text and SWC alt text. This is where I thought it might get clunky especially with the SWC text.

I'll see about trying to set up one mission like this as a show for people on Sunday.

Oh yes, I forgot that Super Wing Commander would complicate things.

But I think it's important for everything related to a particular mission to stay together. It'd be a bit much to scatter them all over the place, I think.

I'm going to have to see about getting the SWC script. Hopefully LOAF has it somewhere. Once I see it and see the amount of differences we can decide what to do.

Speaking of SWC and missions, I created categories for all the games that have plot missions except Secret Missions 1.5. How do we want to handle its name? SM 1.5 is more a community creation than anything, but we've all certainly adapted its use.

Managed to add in another briefing as well.

Also, which will come as a special treat to many, I've begun to organize articles to house Lt. Colonel LaFong's memoir sections from the USG. You will now be able to read his entire story from the Academy to WC2....well that is once I enter in all the text...which reminds me I'm looking for 1 or 2 volunteers to help with this specific task. If you are interested (even if you don't own the USG) PM or email me and work from there.

Back