WCP/SO OpenGL Patch Beta Released (August 12, 2007)

... Wait a minute. This patch lets you use OpenGL to do the rendering instead of Direct3D? So... if you're using Linux, and have been getting awful five-frame-per-second performance because Wine won't handle hardware acceleration for Direct3D... this will allow you to have decent performance?
I don't know - somebody would have to try it out and see.

However, on the same page, Standoff has set the bar so high I doubt anyone making a mod of that nature would even be sneezed at. =) Not that that's a bad thing.
Actually, if that's the case, it's a really terrible thing, and I'm sorry Standoff has had that effect :(. People shouldn't be ashamed to try less complex stuff first - had we set out to make Standoff right from the start, back even before UE, we would have given up many years ago.

You could probably come up with a UE-length campaign using all stock WCP/SO resources in a year, maybe a bit more.
UE-length campaign with stock WCP/SO resources? Three months - with new voiceovers, even.

If I didn't have Standoff, my job, and my half-hearted attempts at re-establishing something that could be called a personal life on my hands, I'd start on that right now just to prove it :p.

Okay, I tried it out and I get this message in a popup window when using OpenGL mode, followed by a nice crash...

Code:
Fatal

GLOpenGL::init OpenGL 1 4 support unavailable, please upgrade

Strange, I'm pretty sure Wine should support this.

FWIW, are there any other OpenGL mode patches that might work, if perhaps less spectacularly?

UE-length campaign with stock WCP/SO resources? Three months - with new voiceovers, even.

If I didn't have Standoff, my job, and my half-hearted attempts at re-establishing something that could be called a personal life on my hands, I'd start on that right now just to prove it :p.
Chicken. I'd bet my bottom dollar against you on that one. :p

(Also, you have way more experience with the engine than the average guy who picks up the UE code and decides to start his own mod... and I did say I was refering to people who lead normal lives :D).

Some graphics glitches still exist with spaces. Own ship VDU has one. Although its a vast improvement over D3D and high res 3DFX. Keep on moving up! (Oh, and be nice to the moderators :p)

Yes I didn't realise how bad my last post came off until Pete replied to me in shock horror, sorry about that, it hadn't meant to be.

OpenGL 1.4 should not be required, sorry about that, I originally started making the project shader based, and then thought better of it. There is the odd extension but I think only from 1.2 and I could use a fallback if its not available.

Transparency: Thanks for the input, I know what to look for now, it seems to be in cases where there is both a constant alpha value and an alpha map.

Palette flashes are fixed to use the specified colour. Expect a new release shortly.

Source will be released if there's a demand for it after all the bugs are removed. The standoff team proposed the project so it is being made to accommodate them already.

Hud glitches will be removed with the hi-res HUD that Filler is working on. It's a big task including all fighter and capship VDUs (and apparently the guns are particularly difficult to replicate) but hopefully we'll have the early version soon.

Chicken. I'd bet my bottom dollar against you on that one. :p
Hehe, I think it could realistically be done... two weeks for the mission outlines, three weeks for the first mission, three days each for the remaining nine missions... that's 62 days, leaving exactly four weeks for voiceovers and testing. It's definitely doable, though highly dependent on me not getting lazy in the middle of it :p.

(Also, you have way more experience with the engine than the average guy who picks up the UE code and decides to start his own mod... and I did say I was refering to people who lead normal lives :D).
Pah, why do people always discriminate against us freaks? :(

Hehe, I think it could realistically be done... two weeks for the mission outlines, three weeks for the first mission, three days each for the remaining nine missions... that's 62 days, leaving exactly four weeks for voiceovers and testing. It's definitely doable, though highly dependent on me not getting lazy in the middle of it :p.
Come up with an Ep 5 in three months and I'll be impressed. The outlines and voiceovers are done, call it a headstart. :p

Chicken. I'd bet my bottom dollar against you on that one.

I'll take it, since Quarto is busy. In three months, by November 14th, I'll put out a six mission campaign with multiple endings and voice overs using vanilla WCSO (And maybe some of the ships floating around the CIC WCSO ship database if I can secure permission).

Hmm. Is there a way meanwhile of modifying the patch (e.g. by hex editor) so it doesn't bother checking for the OpenGL version?

... Wait a minute. This patch lets you use OpenGL to do the rendering instead of Direct3D? So... if you're using Linux, and have been getting awful five-frame-per-second performance because Wine won't handle hardware acceleration for Direct3D... this will allow you to have decent performance?

..What?

Wine has been translating Direct3d to OpenGL for a very long time now. Unless you're using like an ancient version of Wine.

I'm using 0.9.41, and setting SO to use Direct3D just gives me more eyecandy and slightly worse performance than when it's set to software rendering... Basically, it looks like there's no hardware acceleration, or very little.

(My video hardware is onboard Intel 945GM, pathetic by modern standards but it should be completely overqualified for playing a game like SO.)

Yeah, I know about the rendering bugs, and some stuff about how to fix them; the ones I've seen in D3D mode haven't been showstopping. My chief problem is just a very low framerate.

Hmm. Is there a way meanwhile of modifying the patch (e.g. by hex editor) so it doesn't bother checking for the OpenGL version?

Please just be patient, I've already addressed most of the issues raised here, a new version will be finished in two weeks tops.

What CPU requirements do you anticipate?
I'm achieving less than 10 FPS on my Athlon XP 2700+ (2.17 GHz), Radeon 9800 Pro, resolution set to 800x600.

What CPU requirements do you anticipate?
I'm achieving less than 10 FPS on my Athlon XP 2700+ (2.17 GHz), Radeon 9800 Pro, resolution set to 800x600.

The CPU usage should be lower than the original, the GPU load should be slightly higher, but I've been getting reports from Geforce 2's with Standoffs higher poly count. Sadly this sounds like a bug, I'll look into it, until then all I can suggest is trying the latest drivers, ATI's OpenGL support improves with every itteration.

Hey Pedro, do you have any new versions for us?

I'd also like to know what problems you intend to fix or changes you want to make before releasing a new version of this patch.

Two problems:
I foolishly upgraded to Vista and realised Visual Studio is at my parents
I just moved flat and there's no internet (bad timing, they've just changed provider)

These things could slow me down.
Bugs fixed include alpha fixes, dynamic lighting, it will include fixing the FSAA support, fallback for older cards that don't support AF at all. HCl has agreed to work with me to integrate his patches, so hopefully true widescreen is on its way too.

I'd may include the starfield patch Eder uses, Fillers hi-res HUD won't make it until the 10 year anniversary.

Long term I'd like to add some funky effects (specular maps, normal maps etc), however some of these are largely dependent on finding a willing and able artist with time on their hands.

Quick update, finally got up and running again today.

The speed issue is most definately with the scaled backgrounds (thanks to Eder to spotting this). I've optimised the menus etc so that they should now run twice as fast as before, and through the grand tradition of nasty hacks have increased the speed by a factor of twenty or so when in game.

I've also added the option to scale the direct pixel drawing which may give better results for some people (although is rather ugly). Remember you can always turn off scaling entirely.

So watch this space, hopefully the new version will treat you better.

Back