WCP:SO advice

Soma

Spaceman
I recently started playing WCPSO again, but I've hit a brick wall with the "Friends in Need" mission (after you come out of a jump you have to defend the Shy Meadows, Kyoto Rose, and the Cheryis Song). I can't remember how I beat it last time, but I've been trying to take out the Stingrays and Devil Rays in that order and worry about the Mantas later but the Rose and Song keep biting it during the second wave... Any tactical suggestions?

Kill the Red Mantas, then the Stingrays. Ignore anything that doesn't have the capability to damage a capital ship...Red Mantas are the primary target, the Stingrays a high secondary, the Devil Rays tertiary, and the anything else is after that.

Check out your nav map and kill only the ships targeting the freighters.

A small bit of advice just to make it easier, at the start of the mission you have 2 Devil Rays targetting you immediately. Try to take one out as soon as possible (you can usually do this when boosting to the transports if your aim is good...takes a full drain on the guns though).
The other one will pester you for a bit, but if you can take out the first wave of bombers quick enough you should have time to kill it before the second wave poses a threat.

[edit] Also, as soon as you kill something go straight to the Nav Map to pick the next target, don't cycle through them manually it wastes precious seconds[/edit]

[Edited by Primarch on 07-22-2001 at 22:12]

IIRC there is 1 or 2 missions in SO where you can´t save the transports, someone know what mission is ???

I just want to note that it's Wing Commander Secret Ops, not Wing Commander Prophecy: Secret Ops.

TC

As I recall there are no missions in SO where its impossible to save transports, and only one mission in Prophecy. It's definitely possible to save the Kyoto Rose, etc.

(Hi TC)

Wow... how do you know all this about WCP and SO missions Hades!

(Hi Hades!)

TC

Yo Hades, Ghost is correct. There is at least one lower track mission in SO where you cannot save transports. The one I'm thinking of at the moment has two transports from the last navpoint sending a SOS to you at the second last navpoint, and once you reach the last navpoint, they blow up within seconds. They're about 60 000 klicks away - outside visual range.

[Edited by Wedge009 on 07-26-2001 at 23:34]

Back