WCIV DVD problem on Vista

Branches

Spaceman
I seem to be in a little tiff with the playing of the game. I've seen most of the thread on here about it, but here's my problem, and I figure it could go down in the record books as another backward compatibility smartie pants.

I have installed it using the WIN95 upgrade version, I've also set the compatibility to Win95, I've used Gulikoza's 1.5 version to patch the sound, but I have not run Register.bat yet nor have I installed Mpeg3 decoder filter or an AC3 filter.

I open the game, am greeted by the empty slot screen with all of the save/load/newgame options. I click new game, and I get the "Missing" prompt, press ok, and almost immediately brought to the black screen with the choices of "Help him out/Straighten him out". +Then after clicking through, I get to the next choice, of which, is overlayed on top of the original decision.

After going through the next screens with the same missing video prompt, I come to the green briefing screen, click any key, and go right to the action. Past this, I just play, my joystick works fine and all. and that's as far as I've gotten.

Now the problems I seem to encounter is when I try to use either of NStriker's patches, when I go to run them they say "Cn't Find file" or something like that.

First, you don't need the win95 patch. The DVD is already the win95 version. You could potentially be breaking something.

Nstriker's patches will most likely be a waste of time since it's only real use is win2000 compatibility.

The "missing" error message is because you don't have the DVD patch installed correctly. YOu will not get the DVD video without Gulikoza's DVD patch. THis is not for patching the sound. Gulikoza's patch is a redirect of sorts that will not work correctly without the right combination of events.

First step is unzipping the patch into the directory of a fresh WC4 install and using compatability modes. It sounds like you did this.

If you can play VOBs independently of the game then you most likely don't need a separate MPEG2 codec. However, if you are still not getting video within the game then you should unzip mpeg2dec into the WC4 directory (also available on Gulikoza's page). You then need to run register.bat (possibly several times) to make the right dlls get called when the game runs.
Once you have video running, you will know immediately whether you get sound or not. You only need to install AC3filter if you don't get any sound.

If you get the first video and then everything else either freezes or gives you the missing video message than you should check and see if you have cyberlink software installed (ie PowerDVD). Running register.bat several times may fix this or else uninstalling things like PowerDVD.

Alright, I clean installed and started over again.

While I can run VOB's independent off the DVD using VLC player, I did, just incase, extract the Mpeg codec into the game directory. I tried running Register.Bat but received this error message

"The module "Mpeg2DecFilter.ax" was loaded but the call to Dllregisterserver failed with error code 0x80070005

For more information about this problem, search online using the error code as a search term."

I am running 64-bit Vista Home btw.

nevermind

Fixed it using the Alternate MPEGdec on Guilzokas(newer version of WCIV.Exe), and then installed an AC3filter after the sound wasn't playing, then reset the compatability to Win98/2000. all in all it is up and running and my first play through of the game is on.

Thanks for the help AD.

Back