Wcdx - Kilrathi Saga for modern Windows

Joysticks and game pads should work out of the box. Just make sure Windows recognizes your controller, and it's the first controller in the enumeration order. (That is, if you have more than one joystick/game controller, only one of them will work.)

That's most likely a permissions error of some kind (meaning the OS isn't letting the patcher create or modify a file). Depending on the exact cause, it could be solved by moving the game files to a different location (such as a folder on your desktop), or making a new copy of the files from the CD, or even just rebooting. What have you tried doing so far to work around it?

All of the above, Ive tried installer method and manual method, i've tried multiple install locations, after restarts aswell. I've tried running command prompt in administrator also.

I am also runnings windows 10

Last edited:
That's very strange. Can you check and see if the file or directory has the read-only flag set? (Right-click the folder, hit Properties, click on the General tab). Otherwise, I don't have any ideas here. You can try telling the patcher to put the output file on your desktop:

wcpatch WING1.EXE C:\Users\<yournamehere>\Desktop\Wing1.exe

If that works, then you can copy the file back into the WC1 directory.

As it happens, I did some work on wcdx recently to update the internals of the patcher, including how it handles files. I've attached a new zip to this message; give it a shot and let me know if this works any better for you. There are no meaningful game changes here compared to the last build I posted.

If that doesn't work, I'm not sure what else to suggest; you can try running it on another machine. I don't have a way of seeing exactly what's happening, so it's hard to say what could be going wrong. If you're a developer, you can grab the source from my GitHub repo and try to debug the issue. (Pull requests welcome!)

Attachments

• wcdx.zip
    473.9 KB · Views: 132
@petePESTILENCE Let me try to help you here, you're not that familiar with the DOS commandline, I guess?
For changing directories, type
Code:
CD <dirname>

In your case:
Code:
cd \wc1
Then, try the command
Code:
wc1patch wing1.exe wing1wcdx.exe

The reason for the trouble is that while you got the path for the tool right, the first parameter again refers to your current work directory.
The following might also work
Code:
\wc1\wc1patch \wc1\wing1.exe \wc1\wing1wcdx.exe

Let me know how it goes

I think @delMar is correct; the issue appears to be the working directory. Here's a line from your screenshot:
Code:
C:\Users\petePESTILENCE>c:\wc1\wcpatch Wing1.exe Wing1wcdx.exe

Here, your working directory is C:\Users\petePESTILENCE. The wcpatch tool is located at c:\wc1\wcpatch. The two arguments, Wing1.exe and Wing1wcdx.exe, are interpreted relative to the working directory, which means they are treated as C:\Users\petePESTILENCE\Wing1.exe and C:\Users\petePESTILENCE\Wing1wcdx.exe, respectively.

To fix this, do what @delMar said and switch to the wc1 directory before running the patcher:
Code:
C:\Users\petePESTILENCE>cd \wc1
C:\wc1>wcpatch Wing1.exe Wing1wcdx.exe

Last edited:
@Stinger
https://imgur.com/a/GjVZ8LQ
i tested it without wcdx, but using DgVoodoo2 Directdraw fork + Reshade, and using win95 compatibility + the installers here on WCnews(Im using Windows 8.1)
if you manage to update wcdx to recognize dx10+ Reshade(now that is open source) and custom res like what Dgvoodoo2 can do, i think that we can say goodbye for the good ole dos version kkkkkkk

i'll test it with a WCDX patched version + the DX9 preset to see what it happens, for now i must say that im glad that the ole Kilrathi version still has some tricks hidden beneath their rug

I'm not familiar with ReShade, but from reading a little bit of the site, it looks like it can already masquerade as D3D9. You should only need to name the ReShade dll as d3d9.dll and place it alongside the game executable.

I'm not familiar with ReShade, but from reading a little bit of the site, it looks like it can already masquerade as D3D9. You should only need to name the ReShade dll as d3d9.dll and place it alongside the game executable.
i tried it too, it works with the native Dx9 option, but the resolution is stuck on 320x240 4:3 and the reshade screen becomes too smaller for it to configure
while on DgVoodoo2 without wcdx i can adjust the resolution and stretch the screen. Heres what i used, it works flawlessly, but the mouse on the reshade screen becomes a bit wacky due to the res(max FHD is HD fit to screen option, in this case 1920x1080)

test1.png test2.png

something like this could work for wcdx.

it worked! but now the mouse cursor became a bit wonky and lagging

SM1_wcdx 2018-06-27 15-38-06.png

and this is how the started to look like with the preset on
SM1_wcdx 2018-06-27 15-44-30.pngSM1_wcdx 2018-06-27 15-48-38.png

The cursor is rendered by the game and drawn into the frame buffer, so there's some innate latency from that thanks to the game's frame limiter. Fixing that would be a significant undertaking.

The weird positioning you're seeing is probably because wcdx never actually creates a full-size frame buffer. The frame buffer is always 4:3, even when the game is full screen, but it's rendered on top of a black full-screen window. I did that only because it made positioning things a little easier back when I was still trying to get away with a 320x200 frame buffer, but there's no good reason to keep it this way now. I'll look into changing this over the weekend.

Back