wca speech?

Madman

Vice Admiral
This is liable to be deemed unsuitable topic since it involves me talking about piracy.

I've recently downloaded a torrent of some old dos games - mostly because I've noticed the abandonware sites slowly dissapearing and because a lot of these games are now getting on for 20 years old.

Anyway, in one of these torrents was a wing commander academy wingman voices pack - which seems to add speech to wca for the wingmen.

I've never heard about this before and obviously it's something that every collector should have!

Has anyone seen this before, has anyone got a copy?

This is liable to be deemed unsuitable topic since it involves me talking about piracy.

If you think a thread is going to be against the rules, contact the moderators before you post it.

Anyway, in one of these torrents was a wing commander academy wingman voices pack - which seems to add speech to wca for the wingmen.

I've never heard about this before and obviously it's something that every collector should have!

You haven't seen it before, because it's not a real thing. Academy as it is includes limited speech and there's no separate collectible speech pack. That's the problem with a lot of those games, they have stuff sound like sound butchered out and then awkwardly patched back in.

ok, so having been away for 2 weeks i've finally got round to having a play with this:

brand new install of wca from my own copy, no speech from angel when i order her to do stuff yet when i install this pack thing she does talk. (note that the enemy will respond to insults either way).
the installer looks genuine (ie looks like an origin installer) although it does fail to install the files into gamedat, shoving them instead into the root folder.

basically, my original version has the following communic files in it:

communic.s12
communic.s23
communic.s24
communic.s25
communic.s27
communic.t01
communic.t12
communic.t14
communic.t15
communic.t16
communic.t17
communic.t23
communic.t24
communic.t25
communic.t27
communic.you

this patcher adds:

communic.s15 206
communic.s14 192
communic.s16 271
communic.s17 233
communic.s01 124

Those numbers are the filesizes in kb - not the same as the similarly named files in my wc2+so1+so2+speech install or my wc2+speech install.

Apologies for the double post, I was going to post the two communic.s01's converted into mp3 but it muttered something about security token so i give up!

firstly the wc2 version is clearly angel and the wca one seems to be a capship (surreally including a permission to land quote)

An additional note, while s14-17 are the same files that wedge included in his comm pack s01 isnt given in his pack (though he does suggest a file transfer of s16 from wc2 but that is 120 kb not 123)

A bit more work (typing this as i do it) shows that actually the s01 in this wca pack is the s15 (concordia) from wc2. So now i know where the files all came from, but im still curious as to the origin of this pack - it's not wedges and the installer seems genuine enough.

for wedges comments on this check:
http://wedge009.net/wc/wc2/#speech
(for any future readers)

I didnt want to before due to the rules on such things ;)

Apparently it won't let me upload it as it is an invalid file, i'll email it through to the news email.

Back