WC4DVD on Windows 7

Tarvis

2nd Lieutenant
WC4DVD on Windows 7 - CTD when entering actual game flight

Hi there. I found my old copy of Wing Commander 4 - it's the DVD version with the better cutscenes. I've been having a problem though...I used Gullikoza's DXMCI patch to get the game running, but the game crashes after the cutscenes. More specifically, it's during the briefing screen. However, despite hearing the beeping of the text typing on screen, the screen is blank. When I press a key to advance to the game, I get into the game for about a split second and then it CTDs.

I've seen threads about this around before but none of them had a solution that worked for me. Any advice? No combination of options in the "configure dxmci" shortcut seems to be helping.

EDIT: Huh. I fixed it by running the mpeg2dec register.bat again. Only problem is, the briefing screen now has the wrong colors. It's fine after getting ingame though, although it messes up again after cutscenes. Going to either options or nav map and back fixes it again.

Also, for anyone who has this problem: Do the register.bat I mentioned, and in "configure dxmci" make sure both the Use VMR9 and Force Mpeg2Dec are checked. I don't think I changed the slider at all so just leave that. It makes the videos look a little bit uglier (Probably has to do from being scaled from 704x480 to 640x480 or something - makes a grid-like pattern of blocks that aren't seamed with what's around it. Tough to explain but sadly taking screenshots make it look OK.) but at least the game will run!

EDIT2: I got camera pictures to show what's happening. On the left shows what happens with VMR9 and Force Mpeg2Dec on (bad; jagged), and on the right is when they're off. (proper)

http://i.imgur.com/3szfh.png

Did you kill explorer before running the game - it's known to fix palette issues.
I'll have a look later on today to see if I can replicate this.

I'm not so worried about the palette problems (it's only for the briefing screen and still readable) but the video quality issue.

Back