WC4 stuff, then and recent WCP

RFBurns

Spaceman
This is puzzling. Although WCP had a new carrier, the Midway, and several new fighters with improved weapons, one question did come to mind when I first played WCP. The Dragon fighters in WC4 had anti-matter/matter reactors providing power and re-generating afterburner reserves. They also were equipped with cloaking devices. Why was there not even a grain particle of this technology put into WCP or SO? Maybe not the cloaking stuff, but that anti-matter/matter reactors in the Dragon fighters would fit nicely in the Vampire fighters! Even the Panther fighters having that reactor would have been neat! Was there any particular reason why they did it this way? Didnt they confiscate a few Dragon fighters? I remember Blair flew one during the last few missions of WC4. Seems Confed would have used some of the technology the Black Lance had, I mean, they did use Confed resources didnt they? And what happend to that huge base? Is it floating out there abandoned? Maybe it has a compliment of Dragon fighters that got left behind!? Was Admiral Towlin right when he stated that one day we will face an enemy far worse than the Kilrathi? Then here comes the bugs! I think those Dragon fighters would have taught those critters a good lesson or two about who's boss in Confed space! Long live the WC universe! :)

RFBurns

Throughout Prophecy we're constantly presented with the theme of doing more with less. They're constantly pushed to use cheaper methods. The entire Midway Class of carriers is based around that. It stands to reason having capship propulsion systems on a common heavy fighter isn't the most economical design. Furthermore, the Vampire is still very fast, and its afterburner fuel lasts a very long time.

WC4 stuff then and recent WCP

Hmm, do more with less, sounds like current events in washington!! But what about SO? Didnt they put new weapons in SO? Along with a new carrier? Im confused! You know what else is strange, you can still download the SO, first episode from the Origin site, but cant find the rest of the SO missions anywhere! Is this the era of duh duh at Origin?:)

RFBurns

well I think that origin should have let the episodes in there but they remove it.
I got no problems I got mines from Joytick.
And I dont call the TCS cerebus a new carrier its a quick strike cruiser.

I started another thread that is still being replyed on to answer these very same questions Burns, whatever did happen to the Axius Base, and there should still be Bearcats arround in WCP time as well where did they go? But yea dragons kicked a** and I would perfer to fly one of those babies in WCP/SO

Knowing that Origin was going to remove the episodes after a time, I don't understand why anyone who downloaded them would have deleted them. (I burned them onto a CD, myself.)

As for new WC fans, they would be better served to try to locate and purchase a copy of Prophecy Gold.

Originally posted by Earthworm
Hell, why burn them, you could save them on floppies. IIRC none of them were larger than 1.3 megs.
The initial files certainly are. And with a CD, I get all the files together in one place on a significantly longer lasting medium.

Well I can see there are those that have no patience for new members in this forum, although I have been playing space sims and flight sims since they came out (ie:first WC thru WCP, Privateer/Privateer2, MS Flight sim V4.0 thru 2000 Pro, Freespace 1 and 2, Descent 1 thru 3, F-22 and Falcon 4.0, Janes Longbow and Longbow Gold, Janes ATF Gold) Not exactly a "Plebe" pilot here, so please show some respect. I may not keep up with the storylines in the WC world, but isnt that what forums like this are for? I apologize for any trouble my inqueries have caused or waste of someones abundance of time. :( I am no longer confused, I understand perfectly now.

RFBurns

"Look behind you, watch your six...BOOM"

sorry if I offend you by my reply.
I was just point out that there is no new type of carrier in SO, it is just a light cruiser.
I am sorry.

Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
The initial files certainly are. And with a CD, I get all the files together in one place on a significantly longer lasting medium.
Isn't that what Prophecy Gold is for? :)

Originally posted by KrisV
Originally posted by OriginalPhoenix
Isn't that what Prophecy Gold is for? :)
Sure...if you're able to find it. Back when it was first released, I didn't see the point it spending $40, when I already had WCP and had downloaded all the missions for WCSO. The only gain would have been the booklet, but even that information is available by other means.

*shrug*

Oh no, some miss communication here! No one offended me, I was just trying to catch up on everything and someone emphasized my confusion. Being out of the WC loop since I finished WCP a couple of years ago, I was off line during the SO stuff. Funny how the military takes you away from lifes pleasures! Anyway, I returned online and first thing I did was visit the WCNEWS site, and saw this Secret Ops thing and that the missions were available at the Origin site, only to find out I missed the whole thing by about 2 weeks!! :O Frantically I searched my local software shop for the Gold edition, only to be told by the clerk that just 10 minutes before I arrived, someone bought the last one he had!! :( And since then I have been looking for it. I still continue the search for SO. I may be new to the CIC chat zone, and may be a bit behind the storyline and timeline of the WC universe, so I figured I could catch up by joining the chat zone. Thats my luck, always miss the good stuff! I hope to find the SO soon. But for now, I continue to run fan made missions in WCP and made my own little mission. Yep, those Dragons were awsome! Didnt someone convert some of those ships for a mod or something? Has anyone converted or built from scratch the famous Privateer Centurion fighter for any of these new games? Now that would be something to see!! (minus the mega-heavy steltek guns of course)You guys are doing great work here, I for one am greatfull there are folks keeping the spirit alive.

Long live the WC universe!

RFBurns

"Look behind you...watch your six....BOOM!"

Originally posted by RFBurns
Funny how the military takes you away from lifes pleasures!

Wow, another soldier in our ranks!

Originally posted by RFBurns
Has anyone converted or built from scratch the famous Privateer Centurion fighter for any of these new games? Now that would be something to see!!

The only one I've seen is the X-Wing total conversion. Very nice. Check the fanprojects section.

Regarding ATF Stealth Missions

RFBurns: "although I have been playing space sims and flight sims since they came out (ie:first WC thru WCP, Privateer/Privateer2, MS Flight sim V4.0 thru 2000 Pro, Freespace 1 and 2, Descent 1 thru 3, F-22 and Falcon 4.0, Janes Longbow and Longbow Gold, Janes ATF Gold)"

This isn't related to WC but what did you think of the B 2A Spirit missions in ATF?

ATF Stealth missions

All of the missions in ATF are great! Only problem I found with the whole thing was the way the runways kind of move around as your trying to land. It almost looks like the runways are "floating" just above ground, which makes judging distance a bit difficult. They also appear to be short in length. Since when does a jet fighter landing at a speed of 230 knots stop almost instantly after touchdown!!??
That would happen on a carrier, not on land! But all in all the game was great! The multiplayer end of it was good to, despite at that time the connections on the net were not all that great unless you had expensive ISDN. They imporved all that stuff in the Fighters Anthology game. Ok enough airplane talk, break out the Dragons and Vampires!! :D

Long live WC!

RFBurns

"Look behind you......watch your six!......BOOM!"

Back