WC4 Problem

TyeDyeBoy

Spaceman
Hey.

I just got WC4, and it's the meant for DOS version. I don't mind that, I like DOS.

I can get the game to run without a problem. The problem is with the sound.

Some background info: My machine has an ESS 1938. Works well. In DOS mode, it emulates a SoundBlaster, 220, 5, 1. That works just fine, older games (including WC2 which still runs) can use it well.

Installing WC4, I tell it to autodetect. It picks up a soundblaster, but with the wrong hex, irq, and dma. Naturally, I corrected it. Everything else ran fine, but the sound was gone.

How odd.

I wondered if something may be up with my configuration so I set up a boot disk, but that didn't help either. I went back to the install and let it use the settings it detected, which also didn't help. Worse, the movies now locked up after a few seconds. I did the obvious and changed the information back, but now not only did the sound not work, but the movies didn't work for this one anymore.

It doesn't end there.

Looking through the install stuff, I saw that it listed the Equisonic Soundscape, which is actually what I have. I thought, hell, I'll shut off the emulation and try that. No dice, I got the same results.

This sound card has never failed me before, and just to be sure I wasn't out of my mind I did try another DOS game. Sure enough, it worked. And for those that are suggesting a reboot, I've gone through a dozen already.

Any ideas?

Like we told you in #wingnut (probably after you posted this), try installing the W95 patch and playing in Windows.

TC

Back