WC4 novel and what's with the all Lexingtons?

Wolf Dog

Spaceman
Reading WC4 and I have been slightly bothered by chapter 2. It says the Concordia was destroyed over Earth and that Bear was a rear admiral by the end of the war.

The perspective is that of Blair, so I guess maybe he could have mistaken rear admiral for commodore in recalling Bear's rank, but I he would remember what happened to the Concordia. Then again, I guess by 'destroyed' he might not be talking literally, instead meaning that it was downgraded from a first class fleet carrier to patrol vessel. Still, its a reach.

How many carriers named Lexington can Confed have at one time? The Concordia class Lexington was gutted in the Battle of Terra and had to be refitted. Maybe, since it was out of service, it lost the designation until it reentered service again. However, in the meantime we have ome, maybe two, other Lexington's. Lexington class Lexington from Armada and the unspecified Lexington carrying the 128th FW from the Victory Streak.

The Victory Streak could be referring to the Concordia class Lex, but that assumes that refitting for a ship that almost had to be rebuilt from scratch took only about 15 months. Probably less than that, as Confed would have been hardpressed to begin right away while continuing to bring the fleet out of mothballs with a slashed production capability. Another possibility could be that the Gray Hornets were held in reserve with the Concordia Lex until it could be reactivated. What do you guys think?

Yeah, Wing Commander's not perfect. Mistakes are all over the place. We all know that the Concordia was destroyed at Vespus, and Bear was a Commodore (but that's not the WC4 novel's fault, it came out a few years before False Colors).

Oh, and I couldn't tell you about the Lexingtons. LOAF?

Err, maybe the Concordia was destroyed at the Battle of Terra and then drifted to Vespus... <hearing the construction of space-logic crack>, no OK, that's taking it too far. :D
So I guess it's just a mistake.
I always considered the VS Lexington to be the WC4 Lexington, even if that meant that they had to repair it in a couple of months. Might be possible...

LOAF's on vacation.

Concordia wasn't destroyed in the Battle of Terra, she was just severely damaged. Due to the damage, she was relegated to patrol in a back-water system...Vespus. She lost her engines and crashed on Vespus in an action over the planet.

Reading WC4 and I have been slightly bothered by chapter 2. It says the Concordia was destroyed over Earth and that Bear was a rear admiral by the end of the war.

<<Mistake?>>

The perspective is that of Blair, so I guess maybe he could have mistaken rear admiral for commodore in recalling Bear's rank, but I [think] he would remember what happened to the Concordia. Then again, I guess by 'destroyed' he might not be talking literally, instead meaning that it was downgraded from a first class fleet carrier to patrol vessel. Still, its a reach.

<<Once again, WC4 was BEFORE False Colors.>>

How many carriers named Lexington can Confed have at one time? The Concordia class Lexington was gutted in the Battle of Terra and had to be refitted. Maybe, since it was out of service, it lost the designation until it reentered service again. However, in the meantime we have ome, maybe two, other Lexington's. Lexington class Lexington from Armada and the unspecified Lexington carrying the 128th FW from the Victory Streak.

<<The Lexington in WC4 the game was a Concordia-class, but the Lexington in the WC4 novelization is neither the Armada one or the WC4 game. It clearly states that Blair could see both bays launching fighters, so it couldn't have been Concordia.>>

The Victory Streak could be referring to the Concordia class Lex, but that assumes that refitting for a ship that almost had to be rebuilt from scratch took only about 15 months. Probably less than that, as Confed would have been hardpressed to begin right away while continuing to bring the fleet out of mothballs with a slashed production capability. Another possibility could be that the Gray Hornets were held in reserve with the Concordia Lex until it could be reactivated. What do you guys think?

<<Victory Streak, where is that?!?>>

I thought we determined LOAF was an acronym for a super-computer! ;)

No, the Lex in WC4N was the Lexington from WC4..."both bays" just refers to either side of the main hangar. The Black Lance just took over one of those bays, that's all.

mpanty, I meant in printing. FC came out AFTER WC4.

Nep: How could Blair have seen both bays launching if it is either side? He was in his T-Bolt at the time.

P.S. They said the Vance Richards was alive in WC4, but didn't he die in False Colors? I can't remember, it's been a few months.

[Edited by Sabre on 07-10-2001 at 14:01]

Originally posted by Wolf Dog

The perspective is that of Blair, so I guess maybe he could have mistaken rear admiral for commodore in recalling Bear's rank, but I he would remember what happened to the Concordia.

Well, actually, there are 2 types of rear admiral, at least in the USN, which I guess WC might be based on. The first is Rear Admiral (Lower Half), and then comes Rear Admiral (Upper Half). The first one, Lower Half, is also known as Commodore, which might explain the weirdness with Bondarevsky's rank.

Originally posted by Nep Parth
No, the Lex in WC4N was the Lexington from WC4..."both bays" just refers to either side of the main hangar. The Black Lance just took over one of those bays, that's all.

I'm in your debt Nep. You know how long I've been trying to figure out that "two bays" deal and that every response on this board has just confused me further?! Your simple reply has solved this! Many thanks!!!

P.S. They said the Vance Richards was alive in WC4, but didn't he die in False Colors? I can't remember, it's been a few months.

I believe that was a mistake that was caught, unfortunately, after printing. I just assume that Vance escaped in a pod, but Tolwyn didn't know about it at the time.

The two bays thing on both the vesuvius and lex was decribed by loaf being that the peeps who wrote the book didn't have the game yet and only the rough sketches that would have divided the hangar in two one next to the other, the engine could not render this so it was cut from the final game

Originally posted by Lunatic
Well, actually, there are 2 types of rear admiral, at least in the USN, which I guess WC might be based on. The first is Rear Admiral (Lower Half), and then comes Rear Admiral (Upper Half). The first one, Lower Half, is also known as Commodore, which might explain the weirdness with Bondarevsky's rank.

You know, If I recall correctly, the rank of Commodore was abolished from the US Navy due to technical issues. As I understand, the British Army had Brigadier General, Lt. General, Major General, and General. The Navy carried Commodore, Rear Admiral, Vice Admiral, and Admiral. Apparently they couldn't pay all the Army's flag officers, so the Brigadier General was demoted to Brigadier, on a par with Commodore. The US ranks are based on the British ranks, but when the encountered the problem they simply abolished Commodore except as an honorary distinction. At the time of my source, there was talk of bringing the rank of Commodore back ("Commodore Admiral"?), but even the wise rantings of a US Senator ("If Commodore was good enough for Jones, Perry and Farragut, then it's good enough for a bunch of people I never heard of!") did not breing it back. Of course, as I said, my source is rather out-of-date, and my memory is rather fuzzy.

For some reason, I always thought that Commodore:Captain :: Wing Commander:pilot.

But, I have no idea why I thought that.

-The Gneech

Back