WC4 Mod For Homeworld 2 In The Works (June 5, 2006)

I have two suggestions

I'm sure the text will change in later updates, Ed. This is an alpha release just to make sure the basics are covered; I'm amazed to hear that there is music and Wing Commander comm chatter already.

All in due time, though.

do you mean the star bases built off jumpbuoys? there is still one capship missing from both fleets. the model is ready i just need to add it. its the shipyard for each fleet and it allows you to build all caps away from the HQ. L.I.F you dont need to go thru so much chaos to get it to play. Just download the new version and launcher and it will play fine. New file is at filefront NOT on WCnews.com

I'm sure the text will change in later updates, Ed. This is an alpha release just to make sure the basics are covered; I'm amazed to hear that there is music and Wing Commander comm chatter already.

All in due time, though.

Oh, yeah, agreed. It was just a suggestion for the future. That's the whole point of having Betas :)

Anyway, he did already include nice descriptions of each fighter, it's just that I don't know, as a player, if the crafts' usefulness is linear (i.e.: the arrow is inferior to the hellcat which is inferior to the Thunderbolt which is inferior to the excalibur and so on) or on a paper-rock-scissor "grid" (i.e.: the arrow beats the bombers, which are good against cap ships, which can kill corvettes, that in turn kill arrows). :)

It's just a suggestion :)

And Czacen, yeah, that's it. I couldn't really figure what's the utility of the Jump-buoy-invoked Starbase, ehehe, I thought it was supposed to be the secondary capship factory. No problem, then, I'll just wait.

the jump buoy star bases are for remote fighter production and harvesting all in one. you could achieve the same strategic potential with a fleet carrier and 2 mining transports. by the way the fighter combat is exactly how you described, arrows kick bombers, but arrows get kicked by caps and caps get kicked by longbows. hellcats kick thunderbolts but thunderbolts save longbows since they take priority in attack. it isnt linear. dont judge the ship potential by cost.

dont judge the ship potential by cost.

Too true. I found myself on the losing end very quickly in a game of Homeworld when I had frigates and destroyers being taken down by a swarm of pulsar gunships.

Hey czacen, downloading it again (the updated one) and is the ejection idea in there? I'd love to see a little seat in space and a ship designed to pick him up, I would play the game ALL day long.

From what I hear it is an awesome mod, so I have high expectations. I'm sure I wont be disappointed.

God! I tried everything but my mod just wont work! It is 1.1 the mod is in the C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\Bin\Release and the wc.RAR is in
C:\Program Files\Sierra\Homeworld2\data. So why won't it worked I tried the shortcut idea too. Any idea whats wrong?

Ahhhhh, my copy of Homeworld 2 doesn't want to install! I've been sitting here idle wathing the mod as it progresses and now that a portion of it is out I can't play it. It freezes when I click on Install. This sucks, the mod that should be as great as Star Wars: Warlords, or maybe even better than Warlords and I can't drool over the ships.

winnyfred dude just uninstall your hw2. remove all previous mods. then fresh install hw2 to c:\homeworld2\. place the new wc4.exe from filefront in the bin\release folder and hit launch. shld work fine, cant understand whats up with ur comp. DONT put the rar file in the data folder.

I couldn't get the new release to work either, but LIF's trick worked for me. I haven't had a chance to play it very much, but it looks great from what I've seen so far.

I'm not sure "Fleet Commander" would be a good choice... There's plenty of projects, games and even "serious" software using that name. (Including one of my own projects; I definitely would have chosen another title if I knew back then what I know now. :rolleyes: ;) )

Anyway, two more suggestions:

- Wing Commander: Full 180
Tolwyn issued that command when he noticed that the BWS Intrepid was pursuing the Vesuvius, so there's the reference to WC4. Also, since it's a RTS game (mod) rather than your usual Wing Commander space sim, it would be a nod to the "full 180" the mod's game design is taking.

- Wing Commander: Eternal Vigilance
As we all know, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Maybe not quite as catchy, though...

Wing Commander: Eternal Vigilance
As we all know, "The price of freedom is eternal vigilance." Maybe not quite as catchy, though...

That's a pretty clever Title... you also have to be vigilant by watching all of your ships at the same time.

I'm not sure "Fleet Commander" would be a good choice... There's plenty of projects, games and even "serious" software using that name. (Including one of my own projects; I definitely would have chosen another title if I knew back then what I know now. :rolleyes: ;) )

Anyway, two more suggestions:

- Wing Commander: Full 180
Tolwyn issued that command when he noticed that the BWS Intrepid was pursuing the Vesuvius, so there's the reference to WC4. Also, since it's a RTS game (mod) rather than your usual Wing Commander space sim, it would be a nod to the "full 180" the mod's game design is taking.

- Wing Commander: Eternal Vigilance
Your first one sucks but the second one is absolutely great!

Could someone upload the patch to Sendspace or something? Filefront's bitrate drops from 100 to 1.8 once you get around 73% download. I'm on broadband and the thing says it'll take 5 hours to finish the last quarter of the file.

L.I.F you dont need to go thru so much chaos to get it to play. Just download the new version and launcher and it will play fine. New file is at filefront NOT on WCnews.com

New file's up now at the same location. LIF's tip is good - some people might have gotten the file overnight via dial up or something. http://download.wcnews.com/files/mods/wc4homeworld_preview.exe

Could someone upload the patch to Sendspace or something? Filefront's bitrate drops from 100 to 1.8 once you get around 73% download. I'm on broadband and the thing says it'll take 5 hours to finish the last quarter of the file.

Now you should be able to grab it in about two minutes from the CIC.

Back