WC4 help

Dran

Nothing is written here
I just finished playing WC3 with dosbox, so I brushed the dust off my wc4. I ran into some issues running setup.exe from WINXP. The colours were all weird so I tried it is dosbox, and the install went fine. When I went to play the game the joystick was acting all weird, so I patched it with the one from this site. However, the joystick still did not work. I then tried the patch, change the compatibility mode of the new exe to win 95, and the game crashes any time I go to start new game. Any Ideas?

have you tried win98 compatability mode instead of 95? That might solve the crashing.

On top of the win95 patch try the joystick patch: http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4joy.exe

If that fails try reinstalling and only apply the windows patch and try and troubleshoot that before you apply anything else.

I have the CD version, and yes I have tried Compatibility mode for both 98, 95 modes. Still get the same result: I launch the game, it brings me to the load new game screen. I press start new game, and the train starts with the smoke, and hang.. I usually have to reboot at this point. I also installed the joystick patch you mentioned, but not sure how I can calibrate it. I ran it under dosbox, because of the crashing issue I am running into, and the control does not seem to work.

I did do the win95 patch, and run the WC4W.EXE command, and as I said before chrash..

I can get the game to work, but only under dosbox, but then the joystick does not work.

I am a little stumped, so any other ideas, or maybe I am missing some thing here, launching the wrong exe, have to put videocard to certain settings, hardware execelleration or something.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Dran said:
I have the CD version, and yes I have tried Compatibility mode for both 98, 95 modes. Still get the same result: I launch the game, it brings me to the load new game screen. I press start new game, and the train starts with the smoke, and hang.. I usually have to reboot at this point. I also installed the joystick patch you mentioned, but not sure how I can calibrate it. I ran it under dosbox, because of the crashing issue I am running into, and the control does not seem to work.

I did do the win95 patch, and run the WC4W.EXE command, and as I said before chrash..

I can get the game to work, but only under dosbox, but then the joystick does not work.

I am a little stumped, so any other ideas, or maybe I am missing some thing here, launching the wrong exe, have to put videocard to certain settings, hardware execelleration or something.

Thanks for the feedback so far.

Does it hang if you try and skip the video right away? Can you give us more details about your specific hardware and any steps you are taking to run the game?

About the joystick: YOu calibrate it in the options menu. When you launch into your first mission, press Alt+o and calibration should be an option at the bottom of the screen. Don't forget to click "save settings" though or you will have to redo it on your next mission. If you are running the windows version, you just calibrate it in the windows game controller settings panel.

AD said:
Does it hang if you try and skip the video right away? Can you give us more details about your specific hardware and any steps you are taking to run the game?

About the joystick: YOu calibrate it in the options menu. When you launch into your first mission, press Alt+o and calibration should be an option at the bottom of the screen. Don't forget to click "save settings" though or you will have to redo it on your next mission. If you are running the windows version, you just calibrate it in the windows game controller settings panel.

My Hardware
CPU: AMD 64 3500+
Video: ATI X1900 XT
MB: Asus A8R-MVP

Ok, let me see if I can clarify when you install the patch there are 3 different exe files.
1. wc4.exe = this can be run from dos box
2. WC4W.EXE = This is the one from the patch and I use witg win98 compat
3. STARTWC4.EXE = I am not sure what this one is used for.

When I run WC4 in dosbox, and goto the options menu and click on the icon, nothing happens. I run the game normally and mount all the drives

When I run WC4W in XP and run it w/ '95 or '98 comp mode, I get the initial load screen. I press the button on start new game. Right away the game hangs..

So I figured out the issue by accident. I have this headset with mic I use for teamspeak for some clan based games I play. It turns out when I set my audio to use my headset, everything works fine. Thanks all for your help again.

Dran said:
So I figured out the issue by accident. I have this headset with mic I use for teamspeak for some clan based games I play. It turns out when I set my audio to use my headset, everything works fine. Thanks all for your help again.

Does the issue return when you switch it back to speakers? It sounds like an issue with your sound card drivers. Have you tried updating them (or conversly using older versions)?

AD said:
Does the issue return when you switch it back to speakers? It sounds like an issue with your sound card drivers. Have you tried updating them (or conversly using older versions)?

Yeah it crashes when I use the onboard sound. The drivers are up to date, and I have other programs I use that are dependent on that, so I am not going to roll them back. Playing with the head set isn't so bad. Though I wonder if it has anything to do with the auto detect during the install. I have yet to find a way I can view or change my current sount card irq, and dma settings. If you knew how to do this, it would be a big help.

You can do it in the Control Panel Device manager, but I probably wouldn't recommend it. You could cause stuff to crash into other hardware. Sound card IRQ and DMA is also an easy configuration file tweak in DOSBox.

Back