WC4 GOG Not Working - Virtual Protect Failed

C

Crippler

Every time I try to run WC4 downloaded from GOG, I get the Virtual Protect Failed error message.

Desktop running Windows 7 64Bit
Intel Core i7
8 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700

I've tried changed the compatibility mode to Windows 95/98. Tried turning off the Avast Anti-Virus scanner. Updated the ATI drivers. Turned off the Windows Firewall. Nothing works, any suggestions? Thanks

Win98 compatibility should fix the Virtual Protect error. Still, be sure you do *not* install the game into a network drive. If you do, you won't be able to set compatibility options.

Win98 compatibility should fix the Virtual Protect error. Still, be sure you do *not* install the game into a network drive. If you do, you won't be able to set compatibility options.

No, I have it installed in the default directory c:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Wing Commander IV
It shouldn't be a network drive.

I'm starting to think my Windows compatibility mode just isn't working. Thinking about wiping and reinstalling Windows 7. I'm not really wanting to go there just yet. :)

in oder to fix the Virtual Protect Failed go to the web site http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dxmci.html in there you finde WC4 DVD version wc4 dvd fixe download it save it then copy the file to wing commander 4 game directory
open the file and patch the game i used to run it in windows 95 compatibility mode hope i halped

Glad to know that solved it for you! :) Indeed, if you are unable to set the compatibility mode for some reason, give NStriker's patch a try.

in oder to fix the Virtual Protect Failed go to the web site http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dxmci.html in there you finde WC4 DVD version wc4 dvd fixe download it save it then copy the file to wing commander 4 game directory
open the file and patch the game i used to run it in windows 95 compatibility mode hope i halped

The patch did work. I can now play :) Thank you

However, I'm having a small but very minor problem. In battle it seems the battle music plays only once, and doesn't loop like it should. Makes the space battles rather quiet. :)

I know it's a minor issue, better to be able to play than not at all. Wasn't sure if anyone else had a fix for this issue. Thanks again.

Back