WC4 GOG Not Working - Virtual Protect Failed

C

Crippler

Every time I try to run WC4 downloaded from GOG, I get the Virtual Protect Failed error message.

Desktop running Windows 7 64Bit
Intel Core i7
8 GB Ram
ATI Radeon HD 5700

I've tried changed the compatibility mode to Windows 95/98. Tried turning off the Avast Anti-Virus scanner. Updated the ATI drivers. Turned off the Windows Firewall. Nothing works, any suggestions? Thanks

HCl

WC EXE archaeologist
Win98 compatibility should fix the Virtual Protect error. Still, be sure you do *not* install the game into a network drive. If you do, you won't be able to set compatibility options.

C

Crippler

Win98 compatibility should fix the Virtual Protect error. Still, be sure you do *not* install the game into a network drive. If you do, you won't be able to set compatibility options.
No, I have it installed in the default directory c:\Program Files (x86)\GOG.com\Wing Commander IV
It shouldn't be a network drive.

I'm starting to think my Windows compatibility mode just isn't working. Thinking about wiping and reinstalling Windows 7. I'm not really wanting to go there just yet. :)

Gil

Spaceman
in oder to fix the Virtual Protect Failed go to the web site http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dxmci.html in there you finde WC4 DVD version wc4 dvd fixe download it save it then copy the file to wing commander 4 game directory
open the file and patch the game i used to run it in windows 95 compatibility mode hope i halped

HCl

WC EXE archaeologist
Glad to know that solved it for you! :) Indeed, if you are unable to set the compatibility mode for some reason, give NStriker's patch a try.

C

Crippler

in oder to fix the Virtual Protect Failed go to the web site http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/dxmci.html in there you finde WC4 DVD version wc4 dvd fixe download it save it then copy the file to wing commander 4 game directory
open the file and patch the game i used to run it in windows 95 compatibility mode hope i halped
The patch did work. I can now play :) Thank you

However, I'm having a small but very minor problem. In battle it seems the battle music plays only once, and doesn't loop like it should. Makes the space battles rather quiet. :)

I know it's a minor issue, better to be able to play than not at all. Wasn't sure if anyone else had a fix for this issue. Thanks again.