WC4 GOG, movies in 4:3 aspect? And WCD 1 and 2 question.

FlightShtick

Captain
I looked around online and can't seem to find an easy way to get the GOG version of WC4 to play movies in 4:3 and not the widescreen, I prefer the letterbox as going from widescreen to 4:3 in combat just messes me up.

The text 4 hack at https://www.wcnews.com/chatzone/threads/wc4-gog-video.26516/ fixes it but the gameplay parts are just black. Is their anything I can do?

Also I heard that the GOG's version of WC 1 and 2 has an option to turn of the cockpit interface and make it purely first person. (Too much clutter), is this true? TYIA

Last edited by a moderator:
The option to turn off the cockpits are part of the Windows 95-ports of WC1 and 2, found in the Kilrathi Saga release. GoG offers the original MS-DOS versions of both games which don't have that feature.

I have the KS as well but heard of how much heartbreak it is to get them to run. What's the hotkey if I can get them to run? And is it possiple to get the KS versions to run on windows 10? and Thanks in advance.

I have the discs. I am not a pirate. Little love here?

EDIT: Sorry so paranoia sounding, someone at GOG's forum really got on my case. "Are you SURE you bought them?" :p

Last edited:
The button for turning on and off cockpits in Kilrathi Saga IIRC is just the same as the one to go back to the front view (should be F1).

Thanks, btw anyone know why the GOG version of WC3 is by default showing inside the cockpit when you takeoff?

Last edited:
Thanks, btw anyone know why the GOG version of WC3 is by default showing inside the cockpit when you takeoff?
I'm not really sure what you mean here. I'm pretty sure inside the cockpit has always been the default view. If you want to take off automatically then hit the autopilot button and you will get the exterior take-off animation but it will be in-engine.

The only versions with pre-rendered takeoffs are the console versions.

I mean I remember WC3 always being first person when you start the ship, in this GOG version its the cockpit view. I have to git the F1 key to change it. Has it always been like this and playing other versions like PS1 and TKS have made me not notice or something? Thx.

When the game has cockpits, they are turned on by default. You mentioned the Playstation version, which is probably what's tripping you up. It didn't include cockpits and so starts in the invisible mode.

I believe you can set them off permanently in the Options screen (alt-o while flying)... be sure to hit 'save' after you change the setting so it'll persist for future missions.

(And then later games like WC4 didn't have them, either.)

Thanks, yeah I think it's the fact the PSX didnt have it, and I played the PSX version 3 times in a row thinking I could have thwarted the Hobbes situation as it really emotionally irked me. Wasn't until the PC I found out the truth about his treachery. :mad:

Also I was toying with other choices. Such as trying a bunch of times to get Flint and Rachael into accepting polygamy. :p
Bad pilot! Bad Blair!!

Back