WC4 ending

Originally posted by Ghost
...i don´t think that they can destroy the Ella Superbase just with 4 Lances.

But don't you rememer when you blew up an entire planet with just one Excalibur? ;)

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
But the new Ella is different... perhaps... rebuilt :)?

Well we saw Kilrah blown up in WC III and it appeared in Prophecy, so does that mean it was also "rebuilt"? :confused:

I still don't understand why they couldn't have just sent Blair in and blown up the Imperial Headquarters or Palace or whatever, I still don't like the idea that I played a character that slaughtered millions, I don't believe in "an eye for an eye".

I think that this is explained in End Run, if they destroy the palace or a temple or something like that, the Cats will go very mad and the situation will be worse

ah, I see, but without a homeworld, the Kilrathi are so disgraced that they see no honor in continuing a war with a clearly superior foe. Or something like that :)

Originally posted by Penguin
Col.Dom: You can't live with destroying Ella on your conscience, but you sleep well knowing that you blew away Kilrah and millions/billions of Kilrathi? Note that both of these actions contributed to ending/preventing war.

I had no qualms about blowing up Kilrah because it was only the Kats, not my fellow terrans.

Well, I would have some problems with that reasoning, to be honest. Would we say that it was acceptable to kill millions of people of another race, but not people of our own? And if not, how do things change because we talking about another species compared to our own? Why is it right to draw the line where mass killing is acceptable at the level of the species, rather than the race or the nation? Kilrathi are living, intelligent, sentient beings just like we humans are. If we are going to kill millions of them, we need a better reason than "they're not us."

Best, Raptor

Agreed, and *that* is why I feel Kilrah was morally acceptable while Ella is not. In WC3, your only options are to carry out the Kilrah mission succesfully, or being defeated. If you eject, fail a mission, or anything else, then you're headed straight for the losing endgame where you see Earth being invaded and humanity being wiped out.

In WC4 though, you *do* have another option, which will allow you to defeat Tolwyn without killing the people of Ella. The way I see it, the deliberate mass killing of innocents like on Kilrah or Ella are only morally acceptable if there's no other way to save the lives that yoiu're trying to protect. If there's another viable option (and the option of outrunning Ella is very viable, especially using the Dragon loaded out with leech missiles) , then it's wrong to take the killing option.

Best, Raptor

Kilrah Bombing: Their fleet was 48 hours from Sol remember? I doubt we want to see our good ol' homeworld destroyed, so let's go waste theirs. Simple, them or us. I'd make the decision to drop that thing anyday. They had the superior military. They were overwhelming confed with numbers. There was one shot to save humanity and by association, all the more primative nearby races (Firekkans, those red guys in WC1...) Simple was that.

Mopoks (Mopokes) are the little red guys.

But Firekkans aren't all *that* primative. They've got space ships and whatnot now.

Part of the justification for destroying Kilrah is that their whole fleet was being readied in the shipyards surrounding the planet. Nail the planet and you also get rid of a *VERY* big chunk of their fleet and support infrastructure.

Some questions. After the destruction of Kilrah did the Kilrathi still possess the means to continue the war? Or what if the fleet survived the destruction of Kilrah and remained in good condition - would they still have surrendered?

Originally posted by Penguin
Some questions. After the destruction of Kilrah did the Kilrathi still possess the means to continue the war? Or what if the fleet survived the destruction of Kilrah and remained in good condition - would they still have surrendered?

Of course the Kilrathi still had warships to continue fighting the war. The thing was that after Kilrah was destroyed the Emporer and all his high ranking officials were dead. That left the entire Kilrathi hierarchy in chaos. There were no heirs to the throne and without a strong leadership caste the Kilrathi power balance was thrown into complete diasarray. Without a strong leader to guide them any warship captain or battle group commander would break away and carve out their own corner of the system. Also the destruction of Kilrah was a huge moral buster. With no homeworld to fight for, why continue fighting? Although some groups did want to continue the fighting, hence the formation of secret bases to launch their raids on Confed.

Yes I do believe the Kilrathi would have surrendered.

While I principally agree with you, FC tells us that there was a surviving member of the imperial family, thus an heir tp the throne. But I think the clans didn't want to have another member of this clan as Emperor.

Hi Mekt,

In FC, I think the heir (Can't remember his name just at the moment) was presumed dead at the time of the Kilrah raid. He was also only a fairly distant relative so probably would not have got the support he would have needed right from the start. (I think that the raid that Karga was on was set between the Battle for Earth and the end of WC3)

Cheers

Originally posted by Mekt-Hakkikt
While I principally agree with you, FC tells us that there was a surviving member of the imperial family, thus an heir tp the throne. But I think the clans didn't want to have another member of this clan as Emperor.

Sorry Mekt I haven't had the oppertunity to read the WC books so I didn't know there actually was a surviving heir.

Prince Murragh (sp?) was the heir.

If this had been real, destroying Ella would have been a fiasco. Of course the end plays the same either way, but in real life it would have been very bad for Blair's case. Blair is trying to expose Tolwyn and convince the Assembly not to go to war. I do not think that the wanton destrucion of a civilian target using a Black Lance weapon would have made his case very convincing. At the very least, Tolwyn would have probably been able to take Blair with him

Originally posted by panther
Hi Mekt,

In FC, I think the heir (Can't remember his name just at the moment) was presumed dead at the time of the Kilrah raid. He was also only a fairly distant relative so probably would not have got the support he would have needed right from the start. (I think that the raid that Karga was on was set between the Battle for Earth and the end of WC3)

Cheers

D'oh! Of course, you're absolutely right! Should have thought of that. :eek:

My apologies to "I'm thinking ", you couldn't have known and if you had, it wouldn't have affected your reasoning. :)

Back