WC4 ending

The last time I played through WC4 I got a different ending. After the trial and Tolwyn hangs himself, you see Blair on the Intrepid talking to Paladin. This time though Blair was in an office (perhaps Tolwyns old office?) and Hawk came in to tell Blair about some conflict. Blair responded by telling Hawk to send some of the Black Lance forces out to keep things under control.

This is the first itme I've seen that ending and I have played through the game like twenty times.

P.S. maybe you can help me out here LOAF

It´s the *other* ending the non-canon one, it happens when you agrees more with Hawk than Panther and choose some missions, it´s the Admiral ending

Originally posted by Ghost
The first time i had the Admiral ending

Again, same here. I like to respond to the FMV decisions as honest as possible, so I found myself agreeing with Hawk a lot (except when it came down to killing civilians with the flash pak... not right).

However, I stuck with him most and got the Admiral ending....

Me Too!

I got the Admiral ending which suited me just fine. I would rather be making combat strategy and tactics decisions rather than being a flight instructor....you know "those you can't teach.":)

Anyway that meant the Dragons were still operational and the BL
had been purged of its bad elements.

The only thing that bothered me was how did Blair go from Adm back to Commodore in WCP?

Matt Nelson

I almost always agreed with Hawk with the exception of using the Flashpak on the superbase. But this is the first itme that I have had the Admiral ending. Its always been the Newbie pilots ending.:confused:

Re: Me Too!

Originally posted by RAMROD

The only thing that bothered me was how did Blair go from Adm back to Commodore in WCP?

Academy ending was probably considered the ending that happened.

Actually, either could have happened. Commodore is a type of admiral and the 2 are fairly interchangable. that's how the admiral ending works. the academy ending works if blair just changed his commision to the navy and was promoted.

Re: Me Too!

Originally posted by RAMROD
"those you can't teach.":)
I think it's "Those who can't, teach." Unless you are trying to make a statement about the quality or education potential of Border World pilots :)

Seriously, the first time I ended up with the Intreped ending. I think the implication of the Admiral ending is you become another Tolwyn, because you used his tactics to get to the end of the game. While you won, in a sense it is a hollow victory. Besides Blair would be more happy in the cockpit than behind a desk.

I may be wrong about this, but I think the general rule as far as canon and divergent paths (i.e., when did Blair defect) in the games is what happened in the novel based on the game is what happened. In the case of Blair's defection to the UBW, he didn't go with Eisen and Maniac initially, he went later. I can't think of any excpetions to that, but I'm sure if there is one, someone will mention it :)

Probably not a good idea to get another novel vs. game thread going...
*chuckle*
Still, there are certain basic parts of the novel that should probably be considered as part of the 'official' history - i.e. Blair didn't leave the Lexington at the first opportunity, etc... The key is to look for the spots where there is a question mark in the game (such as areas where the player has a decision to make) and look to see if the novel provides useful information.
So Blair spotted Seether in the hanger, didn't leave with Eisen, flashpacked the Vesuvius, etc...
The discrepencies between the two can be (and have been) argued over elsewhere.
The only in-game decision that I can think of off the top of my head that isn't in the novel is whether or not to save Catscratch (since he isn't seen on-board the Intrepid in the novel).

And as for the ending - Given the general consideration given to Tolwyn by the crew of the Midway, I would guess that the Black Lance didn't survive Tolwyn's demise.

And talking about Tolwyn.....
Long time since the last *Tolwyn was right,evil,mad,good,great* thread

Ghost, not long enough.

junior, I think you pretty much restated my point about the games and the game novels. Yeah Catscratch did vanish from the novel, I guess to give Blair a romatic interest in the form of Sosa. That's one element I wish would have been consistent from game to novel. Over in the WCIII novel, you fail to stop the bioweapons (which I think was partly used as a plot device to justify the use of the Behemoth and/or Tremblor) and end up with Rachel among other things. Those also appear as references to events in later games and novels, another reason why those paths are considered canon. At least that is my impression of things.

I am not sure but I think got the Admiral ending first too. My brother - who finished it before me - got the Academy ending the first time though, maybe I was influenced to take different decisions than he did.

Originally posted by Haesslich
Did anyone here get the Academy ending the first time? Or is it mostly the Admiral one?

I got the instructor ending the first time through. The only time I didn't agree with Panther back then was when the chance came up to go steal some Confed fighters, cause apart from the Vindicator, I didn't like any other BW ship... I was pretty disappointed when I realized the Bearcat was even worse though :(

--Eder

This is strange

when i played WC4, i constantly agreed with panther then in the debate with tolwin, i chose the option other than "two can play at that game" and got the canon ending but when i chose the "two can play at that game" option, i got the Admiral ending
Strange....

Back