WC4 DVD - XP Issues

I did what you told me and Wing 4 DVD is working on my Windows XP! Thanks!

But.. ;(

Well I've got the game running but my joystick (USB) isn't working in the game.

I've got the same problem. I've got Saitek X45 and another normal gameport joystick..

Try unplugging any controlers (other than your mouse, keyboard, and the controler you want to use) that you are not using and see if works after that.

I unplugged the all the other controllers but X45
(I tried to unplug X45 and plugged in my gameport joystick - the same result)

control panel>Game Controllers>Advanced>Preferred Device>

I did that too.. and unfortunately it didn't help.. I use CTRL+J while playing Wing4 and I try ALT+O and than set joystick as my default controller and I save the configuration.. but nothing helps..

I really can't play without a joystick.. it kills all the fun.. ;(

Any ideas how to fix it?

I did what you told me and Wing 4 DVD is working on my Windows XP! Thanks!

But.. ;(

I've got the same problem. I've got Saitek X45 and another normal gameport joystick..

I unplugged the all the other controllers but X45
(I tried to unplug X45 and plugged in my gameport joystick - the same result)

I did that too.. and unfortunately it didn't help.. I use CTRL+J while playing Wing4 and I try ALT+O and than set joystick as my default controller and I save the configuration.. but nothing helps..

I really can't play without a joystick.. it kills all the fun.. ;(

Any ideas how to fix it?

Make sure you have selected your Saitek as your preferred device, I'm guessing if you check it now it will be empty, click on the drop down arrow and select it and apply or ok the settings.

The other thing to try is when in the game select your joystick as the main controller and save the options (button at the bottom). Exit the game, do the above + calibrate it in windows (you need to do this every time you want to play the game so create a short cut to game controllers on the desktop) then load the game. Also try different Windows computability settings (someone else has posted the Win95 worked for them).

Don't bother try to plug in another controller at any time WC4 because it won't work.

Thanks Freddie1980!
I didn't have much time lately so I haven't tried to fix it yet.
I'll even try to uninstall all the saitek x45 drivers.

Make sure you have selected your Saitek as your preferred device, I'm guessing if you check it now it will be empty, click on the drop down arrow and select it and apply or ok the settings.

I double checked that. I'm sure it was set correctly.

I give up :/

I uninstalled ALL the other USB devices (from the game controls + system and unplugged them), I calibrated one single (gameport) joystick and set it to "work with older games". I started the game, as usual I set CTRL+J (nothing happened of course) and then I tried ALT+O and set joystick as control type and saved.. again, nothing happened! :/ My joystick doesn't work at all.. I even tried to ALT+Tab and then calibrate it in windows again.. :/

WC4DVD sucks! I thought games designed to work under windows were more advanced and user friendly than the DOS ones- Origin proved it's not true fore some games.. :/

I give up :/

I uninstalled ALL the other USB devices (from the game controls + system and unplugged them), I calibrated one single (gameport) joystick and set it to "work with older games". I started the game, as usual I set CTRL+J (nothing happened of course) and then I tried ALT+O and set joystick as control type and saved.. again, nothing happened! :/ My joystick doesn't work at all.. I even tried to ALT+Tab and then calibrate it in windows again.. :/

WC4DVD sucks! I thought games designed to work under windows were more advanced and user friendly than the DOS ones- Origin proved it's not true fore some games.. :/

Maybe giving the Joystick patch a shot might help. I was under the impression that the DVD included it but here it is anyway: http://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4joy.exe

Games that were released in the mid '90s like WC4 DVD are in a particularly tough spot because they're stuck between so many legacy DOS hardware/software issues and a new form of Windows that hadn't yet standardized certain things. That should be evident here by the fact that WC4 DVD needs special patches to run today because it was designed to run with special proprietary hardware when it was released.

Also, WC4 DVD was developed at Daylight Productions, not Origin.

Games that were released in the mid '90s like WC4 DVD are in a particularly tough spot because they're stuck between so many legacy DOS hardware/software issues and a new form of Windows that hadn't yet standardized certain things. That should be evident here by the fact that WC4 DVD needs special patches to run today because it was designed to run with special proprietary hardware when it was released.

Also, WC4 DVD was developed at Daylight Productions, not Origin.

I've played and finished the game and I have to say I was really impressed, Daylight Productions done a great job. I only had one small issue with the playback and that was when you rescue Catascratch, your back on the carrier and Blair chews out Maniac for giving out bad advice to newbies.

I've played and finished the game and I have to say I was really impressed, Daylight Productions done a great job. I only had one small issue with the playback and that was when you rescue Catascratch, your back on the carrier and Blair chews out Maniac for giving out bad advice to newbies.

That movie is wierdly encoded in general. If you watch all the options for that scene independantly of the game you will see what I mean. So it's not a playback issue, it was an encoding issue.

WC4 DVD Keyboard issue

Late response, but :

I was having the keyboard issue too (I have mpeg2dec and AC3Filter installed). Strangely enough what fixed it for me was to Alt-Tab while the video is playing and Alt-tab back in, and voila...suddenly the keyboard starts working and you can escape, etc.

A solution

I achieved playing WC4-DVD in Windows XP SP3 professionnal, after many hours of tests !
I had the same problems as explained here: no video, or no keyboard !

Finally, I installed the K-Lite Codec Pack, and I get it working after with the following options:
- choose profile6 (it doesn't matter, but do you need an other media player ?);
- for MPEG2, DVD playback, choose ffdshow-libmpeg2 (I had keyboard problems with the Cyberlink one);
- AC3 is needed use ffdshow-liba52.

So the whole procedure is:
1) Install WC4 DVD (get it here: http://www.abandonware-france.org/ltf_abandon/ltf_jeu.php?id=766&fic=liens)
2) Patch with dcmx12 (http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza/, unzip in WC4 install folder)
3) install K-Lite Codec Pack (http://www.codecguide.com/) as explained above

This game is still wonderfull (I buyed the CD version 10 years ago) !

Back