WC4 DVD quality movies

Iceman16

Vice Admiral
hey guys, just started re-playing WC4 and I noticed that the movies are not the same quality I remember haha, just wondering if theres a DVD movie patch for WC4 like the one for Prophecy. Thanks!

There are separate CD and DVD versions of WC4. You may be thinking of the DVD version in your mind and playing the original CD version, though I can't say for sure.

No. He's wondering if there's a highres patch for the WC4 movies like we have for prophecy. The answer is no, but mostly because of legal reasons, not because it isn't relatively doable.

yeah, I have the CD version and I was wondering if there was a patch to put the DVD quality movies in, sorry if I was unclear in my original post.

thats disappointing :(, though it doesnt make much sense given how much editing and mods have been done for Prophecy and Secret Ops, guess we just gotta wait for LOAF to post with his insights into this haha.

yeah, I have the CD version and I was wondering if there was a patch to put the DVD quality movies in, sorry if I was unclear in my original post.

thats disappointing :(, though it doesnt make much sense given how much editing and mods have been done for Prophecy and Secret Ops, guess we just gotta wait for LOAF to post with his insights into this haha.

It has to do with the Prophecy DVD never having been released. Basically we can only distribute the highres video...

But since the WC4 DVDs were purchasable at one point... Maybe someday but not at this time. Secret Ops availability... Mods... whatever other fanart is at the CIC: it all exists here because EA allows it. We've worked hard to get you what you do have and have had to make other concessions so that you can have your high-res prophecy movies *at all*.

Ah, I see. No, the original post didn't make that clear, especially with regards to 'not the same quality I remember'.

But, I concur, the difference is that the WC4 DVD was actually released whereas the Prophecy DVD version was not. I believe my copy of the WC4 DVD is courtesy of the CIC's Birthday Party. Maybe you should try your luck there this year?

To top it off there were 2 DVD versions I believe? 1 single-sided, with the 7 CD's packed into one DVD, and a double sides DVD version released with an Mpeg-2 decoder board and DVD drive from creative labs.

My double-sided copy outlived the Drive and the board for sure, but at the release time i did not like the "win95" gameplay compared to the DOS versions.

To top it off there were 2 DVD versions I believe? 1 single-sided, with the 7 CD's packed into one DVD, and a double sides DVD version released with an Mpeg-2 decoder board and DVD drive from creative labs.

My double-sided copy outlived the Drive and the board for sure, but at the release time i did not like the "win95" gameplay compared to the DOS versions.

I've still got the Creative Labs DXR2 card and the 5X DVD drive, with of course, my recently found, double-sided DVD. The game is running very nicely on my Win XP PC now and the Creative Labs stuff is still running in the same 'mighty' P2/350 Win 98 PC, which saves me lots of trouble running older games! I also have the CD version, and the difference in video quality is quite noticeable.

Yes, even with six CDs, the video was heavily compressed - much more so than on the DVD version - and at a lower resolution.

Were there any WC3 tapes recovered when the archive project went into EA? A hi res wc3 patch would be more interesting. From what I've seen the 3DO version movies aren't higher resolution, just compressed with a better algorithm at a lower resolution.

As far as I know, the PlayStation/3DO movies are roughly the same resolution, but with a compression algorithm that didn't leave behind as many artefacts as the PC version.

At least, that's my observation. I could be wrong.

As far as I know, the PlayStation/3DO movies are roughly the same resolution, but with a compression algorithm that didn't leave behind as many artefacts as the PC version.

At least, that's my observation. I could be wrong.

The PSX video also has greater color depth than the PC version. But, yes they are pretty much the same resolution (slightly less for WC4 for some reason... probably because of the stereo sound)

The effect is that it does look noticeably better in WC3 than the PC version... even when blown up full screen.

THere *were* some tapes with WC3 footage somewhere at one point in time I believe but I don't think they were in any kind of usable format that would make sense for a... - highres isn't quite the right term - patch of some sorts.

I do have all the PSX videos converted and sittting on my harddrive. One option is to pass the PSX videos through some sort of filter and upres them to 640x480 or 720x480 or whatever the actual cropped resolution works out to and then patch them into the game. I'm not the guy with those skills though. If someone recommends a format and nice filter to use, then I can by all means do the encoding but I wouldn't know where to start with patching the game.

Back