WC4 and W2k, compatibility mode

Heinz Harald

Spaceman
I couldn't find any information on this here so I thought it best to post it. You can enable the compatibility layer in Windows 2000. The DLL is there, it just isn't activated for you to use on your own. When you've done this you can choose to run any shortcut in Windows 95, 98 or NT4 compatibility mode.

Here's how:
http://support.microsoft.com/defaul...s/Q279/7/92.ASP&NoWebContent=1&NoWebContent=1

When I installed WC4 I created a shortcut to setup.exe on CD1 and placed on my desktop. Then I enabled compatibility mode (W95) on it to be on the safe side. Ran the installation (as expected it got a bit angry when it tried to install DirectX2, but I didn't care). When this was done I used compatibility mode on the Wing Commander 4 shortcut on my desktop. Just in case I even applied NStrikers patch. The game has been running just perfectly so far at least. Not a single hiccup.

Edit: as suggested in another thread, making a bat file setting wc4w priority to low helped me get my Thrustmaster Afterburner USB joystick working in the game.

Back