WC4: a break-down of comm subtitles synchronization

ginger_tigra

2nd Lieutenant
I'm translating WC4 into Russian, and I found a strange bug with subtitles of battle communication. When comm video is on, the subs looking fine. But if video disappears (off by Ctrl-V, or by switching comm VDU to shields/damages/etc.) the subs start running about twice faster. This bug is not fatal for native English-speaking gamers but very annoying for those who can't listen English speech and is forced to read subs.
I don't know how to repair this bug yet.

Bug appears in all versions of game I've checked: WC4.EXE v1.04 and WC4W.EXE v2.08 (6-CD version), WC4DVD.EXE v3.01 ("canonical" DVD version) and v3.02 (from DVD Upgrade patch).

I made quick-and-dirty solution for this problem, for DVD version of game only. There is need to change only four bytes.
In WC4DVD.EXE v3.01 (772608 bytes in length) from DVD or GOG version of game:
Code:
0004E236: 4C 6C
0004E237: B8 D3
0004E2EB: 74 90
0004E2EC: 21 90
Or, in WC4DVD.EXE v3.02 (773120 bytes) from DVD upgrade patch:
Code:
0004E236: 6C 8C
0004E237: B8 D3
0004E2EB: 74 90
0004E2EC: 21 90

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for sharing your solution. I can't say I've ever really noticed the problem (but then as you mentioned English is my first language) but it's awesome that we have such dedicated fans that are able to come up with solutions like this.

Cool, it's been many years since I played around with any of this stuff. Are the values to change in the second column and new values in the third? So on the first row, you'd change 4C to 6C? And will this work in a basic hex editor?

Are the values to change in the second column and new values in the third?
Yes, of course. This is format of output of DOS/Windows fc utility with /b switch. Also, pretty old DOS program CRACKER.EXE by the Corner Crackers understands similar format of input files - see attachment.
will this work in a basic hex editor?
Do you mean manual editing of .exe file by any hex file editor using these offsets and values? Yes, of course.

Attachments

• wc4crk.zip
    308 bytes · Views: 106
Last edited:
Back