WC4 3D

How complex and time consumeing would it be to make WC4 into 3D, via D3D or OpenGL. im thinking something along the lines of GLDOOM etc... keep the game, just update the renderer.

Well, I'e been working on a similar project for the last 2 month - havent really gotten anywhere playable yet.
Vegastrike took about 3-4 months before the first playable demo was released.

Well when VS is far enough along I intend on seeing what I can do about converting an old game :)

Pedro, if you'd kept up with what was going on with other peoples' projects, you might realise that the whole reason for writing the Jacinta engine was to do exactly that in the first place.

BlackWidow and Standoff are similar projects that I intend to see be just as good, but my own personal project is to recreate an absolutely awesome Wing1->SO2 game, with a large number of additions into the storyline... patch together the missing bits. All up I'm hoping the game will be about 1 1/4-1 1/2 times the original size/length.

Based on looking on looking at each project is trying to do and then deciding which is most palletable to my tastes, geeez you take this personally.

VS keeps releasing with new versions, each time adding something crucial to the pattern, having said this I haven't checked either in a month (not since I moved PCs), so I'm not aware of the absolute most recent progress :)

Now Standoff looks amazing (especially the models) but I just want to be able to play an accurate recreation of WC1 :) If no one makes that then the whole idea is that you do.

Obviously you haven't looked at all projects around - I know I for one certainly haven't heard 'boo' from you.

Yes, I take it personally, because you're branding certain projects as inferior when you don't have the first clue about them.

Maybe you should consider stopping sprouting your *opinions* all over the place, especially on things like this - as opinions are all they are.

It seems you are the one throwing around opinions all over the place, and I will not apologise for expressing mine, this is the free world after all.
We have a right to express our views, right or wrong. I never called any project inferior (although I heard you imply it, you've pretty much insulted WCU, VS and UE thats far more than you've accused me of so I think its time that you step down before you piss off anyone else)

In case you haven't noticed, I'm not the one implying things about the projects in the first place.

Like I've said, I don't give a toss about the projects themselves. It's you yourself with your attitude towards it and everything else that tells me that you really don't give a crap about the community itself, only how much credit you get for your own work, making sure your own project dominates everyone elses in how much attention it gets. Absolutely pathetic.

Angel, working on it. Will take at least a few months, but once I get the core engine done, I'll definately be looking at directly using the existing WC3/4 data files.

I'm not the one forcing my views on anyone, whats with the obsession? Its my JOB to try and promote Unknown Enemy, if people don't know about it and what we need then nothing can get done :(
I really don't see where you are coming from, it would be a sad day indeed when there was only one project, there are A LOT of projects I want to play and its not as though I don't give credit where its due.
A lot of hard work has gone into Unknown Enemy and its going to be something fantastic, I've said the same thing for a lot of projects in the past, like Invasion or Vega Strike so I'm hardly being biased towards one project just because there are one or two which don't intrest me personally. Stop trying to start a flame war, this is no place for that kind of thing.

Right. So please calm both down. Private wars are stupid. :confused: Especially about a theme where you have the same opinion.

akashra, i think it would be best if you shut up. pedro's project has been around longer than yours as has VS. Its easier to have faith in a project if you've played part of it. Nobody has played part of yours.

You should also realise that VS was originally planned to be a remake of WC1. So using your little engine to do the same thing is even less original than remaking a previously made game.

I should also note that accusing Pedro of "not giving a crap about the community" is ludicrous. Pedro has done more for the community than you can dream of.

Wildcat; Dunno how you come to that conclusing, since the ideas for ECE were around back in 99. The project just never got started, was all.

Nobody played a part? Think again, just more showing of people opening their mouth on matters they don't really know much about :)

I tell a lie - it was '97 we first started seriously talking about doing it. Back then, I had no programming experience to do it, however.

If only I weren't concerned with what would happen if I did I would quote Blair when he has to talk to Maniac about him hitting on panther ;)

i.e. Stop trying to pick a fight with everyone we're not against you, besides since Wildcat runs Invasion you'd think he'd know something about fan projects :)

A project that never got started is a project that doesn't exist. Why don't you focus on starting your project rather than picking fights with people who are doing what you can't?

1997? Wow, you do know that you can now claim yours is the "oldest fan project" right?

Whatever, I think LOAF's post in the WCX thread pretty much sums up what I have to say. I have heard nothing of your project other than your claims here.

Now here is my advice, you have been asking for help on your project. You are not going the right way about it. I'd be much more likely to help someone who hasn't been flaming me and the editing community. So if you really do need help then just be nice to people. It's worked for everyone else. Your novel approach seems NOT to be working.

Back