WC3 Win95 Patch

I don't think what you're referencing there is exactly a WC3 "patch." There wasn't an official Origin patch for WC3 in Win95, and the standalone WC3 Win95 version was only released in Japan. I believe that thread linked to The Kilrathi Saga files to launch WC3. Core KS WC3 will work off the WC3 DOS discs/files, but the audio was different, so you also had to also include all the wav music to get it to play right, and some people prefer the original MIDIs. Plus KS WC3 introduces some bugs, and I don't think we ever dug into it deep enough to be fully assured of the legality of releasing all of that (it's probably fine, but at the time, we left that to others to determine), so I don't think ever posted it. If someone still has it, we could take another look at whether it's something we would want to host. The GOG version does run in Windows... is there a particular reason why you're trying to convert it to the Windows version? The KS version has a non interlace feature, but again, some people don't prefer that.

The WC4 Patch is at https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4win95.zip

I don't think what you're referencing there is exactly a WC3 "patch." There wasn't an official Origin patch for WC3 in Win95, and the standalone WC3 Win95 version was only released in Japan. I believe that thread linked to The Kilrathi Saga files to launch WC3. Core KS WC3 will work off the WC3 DOS discs/files, but the audio was different, so you also had to also include all the wav music to get it to play right, and some people prefer the original MIDIs. Plus KS WC3 introduces some bugs, and I don't think we ever dug into it deep enough to be fully assured of the legality of releasing all of that (it's probably fine, but at the time, we left that to others to determine), so I don't think ever posted it. If someone still has it, we could take another look at whether it's something we would want to host. The GOG version does run in Windows... is there a particular reason why you're trying to convert it to the Windows version? The KS version has a non interlace feature, but again, some people don't prefer that.

The WC4 Patch is at https://download.wcnews.com/files/wing4/wc4win95.zip

Yeah you are correct Chris, it was the KS files with the DD hack not a patch.

I personally prefer the .wav music and the video transitions were much better in the KS version.

I have tried tweaking the GoG DOSBOX version where I nearly have it running okay, But I am running into issues like the wingman being destroyed at the start of missions and engine speeds not working/reacting intermittently with mouse controls.

I personally never had problems with the win95 conversion before in win 10, perhaps I have been lucky.

Oh I totally understand why it was never hosted, it's a very grey area.

I may have to go to my dads house and dig up my physical copy of KS 😄

I do remember a WC3 fix, maybe for Windows 2000 or XP not sure. it made it more compatible with the later Windows after W98 and some other fixes.

I also have a WC4 patch for Windows 95, old patch that fixed some joystick issues back in the day...

I have the KS and GOG versions. Not sure what the "W95 patch" did exactly but I'd like to try to replicate it, as I can't get the KS version to work on it's own.

I have the KS and GOG versions. Not sure what the "W95 patch" did exactly but I'd like to try to replicate it, as I can't get the KS version to work on it's own.
IIRC it basically swaps the KS exe for the original one and that's about it. There was a few issues with it regarding music because the KS exe wants the digital music files, so unless you add those too you will be missing music.

I used that for 1 & 2, but my problem was with 3. I managed to get it working using the voodoo wrapper and it looks great! I just hope it doesn't crash when I need to change discs.

I think the voodoo wrapper is the godsend I've been waiting for to get those W95 only games working that I always had to use VMs for. It was a weird time in PC gaming that never got properly preserved.

The patch is still up here, its simply KS Executable files, just drag into DOS WC3 folder along with DGvoodoo2 6.54 or a recent build if you want blue space.

and have fun with it

The patch is still up here, its simply KS Executable files, just drag into DOS WC3 folder along with DGvoodoo2 6.54 or a recent build if you want blue space.

and have fun with it

Hmmm....the link is broken when I try it. Is it possible to just copy the KS files from my CD?

Necroing a bit, but the Sharebiz links are gone for good even using internet archive database.
Also does someone still has the file?

A few people have asked and nobody seems to. Probably easier to just remake it from the KS files at this point.

A few people have asked and nobody seems to. Probably easier to just remake it from the KS files at this point.
Wasn't the patch almost literally just replacing the dos EXE with the KS one anyway?

Wasn't the patch almost literally just replacing the dos EXE with the KS one anyway?
not really, KSpatch exe is WC3W.exe with other stuff in like music patch and so on.
it would be better if someone still had it.

Any details on that patch? Like filename? Date? ...
I know I have lots and lots of downloads 'from the early days' of the WC internet. So its entirely possible I could have it SOMEWHERE on file. Or not as I very much hate(d) Windows and therefore refused such conversions. Anyways - if you have some more pointers I could try to have some looks through my archives.

Any details on that patch? Like filename? Date? ...
I know I have lots and lots of downloads 'from the early days' of the WC internet. So its entirely possible I could have it SOMEWHERE on file. Or not as I very much hate(d) Windows and therefore refused such conversions. Anyways - if you have some more pointers I could try to have some looks through my archives.

Back