WC3/WC4 keyboard question

KillerWave

Spaceman
How do i activate the tractor beam in WC3/WC4?

------------------
Well, its classified... i mean, i could tell you, but then i have to kill you...

Turret view, not aft view. There's definitely a difference. Also, I don't recall tractor beams at all in WC3, but I could of course be wrong.

Nope, your right Q. No tractor beams in WCIII. No Mace missles either, though they show up again in WCIV.

Pliars didn't tweak the hell out of the beams like he said he did, so park in front of the object in question, switch to your turret's view, type "g" then target your pod and fire, the blue beam will grab whatever it hits, maintain until you hear a latching sound.

I think it's blue, but I could be wrong.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Eh, it might've been that, too.
wink2.gif
Well, then again, I've only played the PSX version, so it may be different.

------------------
If I'm locked on, there's no such thing as evasive action!

Last edited by a moderator:
That's true about the Mace - like a capship missile on a fighter in WC2, but nothing more than a powerful DF in WC4. Bummer.

Couple of comments:

Yes, the beam is blue.

The easiest method for making a tractor beam capture is to fly within 250-500 klicks of the pod (unlike with earlier WC games that have tractor beams, WC4's beam is much more sensitive to distance to target). Hit ctrl-F4 to put your turret view in the left VDU, then turn until you see the pod centered in the image from your turret. Switch to the rear turret and activate the tractor beam, making sure that you see a series of ascending ovals to the right of the sighting reticle, indicating the tractor beam is activated (shooting a pod with a gun is bad). If lined up right, there should be a white circle around the object you're looking to pick up. Press and hold the trigger, then release as soon as you hear a 'clunk' sound indicating the object is secured.

As for the mace, it was never more than a dumbfire with a big payload, in either of the games it appears in. The WC4 Mace, though, was downgraded, making it not really worth the effort to get when in Speradon, IMO (granted, the starburst isn't much more useful, but at least it doesn't need a torp mount to carry it).

------------------
SubCrid Death
Official Net.Nazi, LOAF's Merry Guild

[This message has been edited by Death (edited September 30, 2000).]

Last edited by a moderator:
Back