WC3 & WC4 in Win98

heeeeelllloooooo ghost!!!

WC4 works ONLY with the patch. Since WC3 does not have the patch, I don´t know.

I only have a CD Re-writer, I tried dowloading the demo but it won't work.

It gives me the errer "Something weird in the CD change functions."

Will running the full game in windows fix this. I ask as I'm have the thing shipped from America, I live in Britain. I don't want to fork out $60 odd for a set of matching drink coasters.

Originally posted by BattleDog
"Something weird in the CD change functions."

I think your error message is the weird thing here :D. I don´t know if it will work, I can´t promise anything since I don´t know your computer.

Have you tried the games in DOS? They will probably work better there.

Well this is the errer I get when trying to make a boot disk.

Boot disk looks like it may not work...
Possibly missing CD-ROM driver line in CONFIG.SYS
Missing MSCDEX.EXE line in AUTOEXEC.BAT
Missing SET BLASTER line; Wing Commander IV may have problems with sound
Possibly missing mouse driver.

If its any help this is the contents of my Autoexec.bat.

mode con codepage prepare=((850) C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\ega.cpi)
mode con codepage select=850
keyb uk,,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\keyboard.sys

I know zip about DOS.

Help?

I need the contents of your config.sys, and also data about your computer, such as which sound card, video board, RAM memory, processor, etc. do you have.

Config.sys

device=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\display.sys con=(ega,,1)
Country=044,850,C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\country.sys

512 MB ram

P III 1 GHZ prossseor

TNT 32 MB graphics card

Sound Blaster Pro sound card

Windows 98 SE

16x10x40 CD re-writer/reader combo.

Re: heeeeelllloooooo ghost!!!

Originally posted by Starkey
WC4 works ONLY with the patch. Since WC3 does not have the patch, I don´t know.

That's not true... I haven't patched WC4, and it works perfectly. WC3 also works perfectly. It's a matter of being sure that both games have correctly determined the IRQ's and DMA's of your sound card and that the video card is supported.

In short, they both work fine in Windows. Hell, I've even played WC4 in WinME without the patch, and played it from beginning to end.

Saturnyne, your computer is a gift from God. If you tell me it runs Priv1 in Windows or WC1 without Moslo, I'm bidding for it :D

BattleDog, I think there´s a Bootdisk FAQ page somewhere in the CIC databanks.

Anyone knows where is it?

You wouldn't be referring to the very first thread stuck at the top of this forum, would you?

After taking a second look at that thread, you might not want to rely on it completely. Despite Ghost's instructions, you should not add the DEVICEHIGH=HIMEM.SYS line to your CONFIG.SYS. It should read "DEVICE=HIMEM.SYS" instead.

I find it inordinantly hilarious that WC3 and/or 4 don't work for you in Windows.

Hell, the unpatched WC4 CREATES a damned shortcut on your desktop for you.

I've played both 3 and 4 to the end countless times and they've never ever crashed or anything on me. It's never mattered how I set up DOS or anything. I just had to manually configure the IRQ and DMA's because the game wanted to detect my DOS Legacy settings when it really needed my Windows settings. Other than that, smooth sailing all the way.

As for WC1, I don't have it. I have WC2 though, and have gotten it to run in Windows once or twice. I prefer DOS though, since more conventional memory is available and I don't have to wait for windows to load. And yes, I need Mo'Slo. But meh, the game works fine, so I'm not complaining.

Besides, I get to enjoy my WC3 and 4 games without so much as a glitch. :)

Back