WC3 KS Version fix on XP

Hello everyone. I have the Kilrathi Saga version of the game, and after setting the compatibility to "Windows 95" mode in XP I managed to run it. However, in missions I can not move my ship in any direction. I have read somewhere that it requires a joystick, altough I am quite certain that back in the day on my 486 I played it on a keyboard. So basically, the question is, what would be the way of handling the game so that I can move the ship with the keyboard, since I do not posess any sort of a joystick?

That's odd, I just started playing mine again, but with a mouse and Haven't had any problems so far. Although I am running under 2k so that may make some difference.

the patches

hi im trieing to save the pdf's as zip but cant as it only comes up with Adobe acrobat reader and all files i have winrar but that dont come up either can someone help please

Hello everyone. I have the Kilrathi Saga version of the game, and after setting the compatibility to "Windows 95" mode in XP I managed to run it. However, in missions I can not move my ship in any direction. I have read somewhere that it requires a joystick, altough I am quite certain that back in the day on my 486 I played it on a keyboard. So basically, the question is, what would be the way of handling the game so that I can move the ship with the keyboard, since I do not posess any sort of a joystick?

When you are in spaceflight, hit alt-o. Chose either mouse or keyboard, and then *Don't forget* to click the save button.

hi im trieing to save the pdf's as zip but cant as it only comes up with Adobe acrobat reader and all files i have winrar but that dont come up either can someone help please

On the download link, please right-click on it, and choose "Save Link As..." or "Save Target As...".

You'll then be presented with a File Save dialog box - you can manually type in the name of the file, for example ks-compatibility.zip

the WCIII KS blues

I hope someone eventually makes a patch for WC3. There was a patch for the video stuttering for Prophecy, and the patch for Privateer 2 as well. I know it can be done. I am gonna personally send money to the person that comes up with a 100 percent working patch.

WC3 for Win XP works for me. No patches, just set the priority level for Kilrathisaga.exe and WC3x.exe to low in the Windows Task Manager at the processes tab. At least thats whats worked for me.

Anyone who still has problems with WC3 after using the latest compatibility fix in this thread should try to completely reinstall the game, to ensure that the WC3 Windows executable is the original, unmodified version. (Don't patch it!) Make sure any and all options on the "Compatibility" tab in Properties are disabled for the executable as well, because they tend to conflict with this fix.
If you do not do this, then you run the risk of freezes and hang-ups. until I did this, the game would often freeze after cutscenes or while walking around the Victory. But now that I have, it is far more stable.

Nope, no good. I have tried every possible combo to get the game to work, and it will for maybe one mission, sometimes less. I tried setting the priority to low for kilrathisaga.exe (or whatever it is) and wingIII to low in the task manager with no compatibility enabled. I tried it with setting sound acceleration to minimum. I tried the Win2000 patch. I tried the Mince superpatch. Same ol' random freezes walking around the carrier. This game is simply not gonna work for me on my computer. Sigh....sucks, sucks, sucks.

The Mince superpatch has to be used alone, with no other combination of the things you just mentioned. That's pretty much the only way it makes any difference.

Note that even then, I've noticed the game is still prone to freezing while navigating the Victory. It seems to happen only when I click on something. Sometimes it keeps happening in the same place multiple times after I load a game, usually until I make a different choice. (like visiting a different room or talking to someone else first.)

I've been able to go up to four or five missions without a single freeze, but sometimes the game will freeze soon after I load it up. As long as you save after every mission you'll be able to run through the game. If you're running the game in full-screen mode, I recommend you keep at least one window running in the background so that if it freezes, you can Alt-Tab out and close the game using the task bar or Ctrl-Alt-Delete. At least that way, you can cut down on the turn-around time to reload the game and continue playing.

It's still not a perfect solution, but it's far less annoying.

Found something that seems to work for me

I have the KS version. Wouldn't get past the Origin intro. I tried that Low Priority under Task Manager, it didn't do anything that I could see. Then I changed compatibility from 95 to NT, and it worked! So far it runs fine. (98 compatibility did not work for me)

Thanks for the SuperPatch, WC3 works perfectly now. Running a C2D E6300, 2GB ram and a 7600 GT. :)

The Superpatch works!

Thanks very much for the superpatch! It has fixed the game locking when clicking on the lift or Berths. I have one question though, how the heck do I exit the game properly? At the moment I have to press the windows start key on my keyboard and manually close the game by right clicking the it on the taskbar. I'm sure when I played it in DOS all those years ago I hit Ctr+Q or something! Cheers.

Having a problem with WC3-KS:

First off I've got the same troubles playing WC3 in Fullscreen. Whenever I cancel a movie by hitting esc, the game ocasionally freezes when clicking around the victory. Hittinh ALT+ENTER when the game starts helps, as in windowed mode this problem seems not to hava any effect. However, playing through the first missions this way (switching to fullscreen once in the cockpit and back when landing on the victory again) I'm now forced to put in disc 3. Works fine for the following video with Flint about her suicide mission. When I try to enter the control room then, game crashes, giving kinda weird error message. Something like "this and that file could not be found" blabla. It seems he tries to load the video how Blair enters the control room, but can't find it on the third disk. What can I do to avoid this ?

Gray

Has there been any progress on this recently. i have tried the latest super patch. With out a doubt it is better as I can get past the origin screen and perhaps play a mission but it still crashes when im navigating the victory. Who has this working perfectly what exactly did you do. Yes I have reinstalled the game several times to ensure that only this patch is at work and nothing else.

It works well for me, but it might not really be a matter of what I've done if you've already tried stuff like compatibility modes and basic setting adjustments. It could be specific software/hardware configurations have conflicts of some type. It'd probably be good to post your system specs in detail and start trying to isolate things from there.

Ok well here they are.

macbook pro
Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Win Xp SP2
Nvidia 8600M GT
2 gigs of ram
anything else?

It didn't work for my Pentium 4 either at home so im thinking there might be something wrong.

Ok well here they are.

macbook pro
Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Win Xp SP2
Nvidia 8600M GT
2 gigs of ram
anything else?

It didn't work for my Pentium 4 either at home so im thinking there might be something wrong.
does it get passed the loading screen while playing the game in a window instead of full screen? It could also be an issue with newer video drivers. You could experiment with turning off various advanced video features that might be conflicting with the game's dated feature set.

macbook pro
Intel core 2 duo 2.4GHz
Win Xp SP2
Nvidia 8600M GT
2 gigs of ram
anything else?

Does it do the same thing for both? I don't know much at all about how the Macs run Intel chips and Windows these days, but that could be an issue. Your sound hardware would also normally be a potential issue.

Back