WC3 Kilrathi Saga WinXP

U

Unregistered

Got WC1 and WC2 working great, and WC3 loads up fine and the intro movies play fine but once the intro movies are finished playing the game hangs. The screen goes black and nothing works. Once in a while I do make it to the Victory deck and control room, but it hangs soon after I get that far. It's kind of a pain getting it to shut down once this happens too.

I know others have had this problem, but I never found a solution on these forums for it. I was wondering if anyone has come up with a solution.

many thanks.

This has been posted several times, that's right. I myself suffer the same problem. But it has never been replied to :( (except saying: "I have got the same problem"). - Anyway, I would be happy if this would be solved, too, cause my DOS Version also crashes in XP :(

If I am not mistaken , this has to do with the compatibility you chose to run it. Try the different ones there. I forget which one works. I had the same problem. I switched what mode it was running in and it worked.

Thanks for the replies.

I believe i've tried all of those compatibility modes with no luck. I'll give them another shot, though, since i'm desperate. Too bad i got rid of my old dos version of that game when i got the kilrathi saga....

Well, I tried nearly every combi (Win95, Win98, Win2k, Win NT with 640x480, without 640x480, with/without visual Designs etc. etc.) I also switched off my background proggies. still crashes :(
Nonetheless, I'll try to test them step by step: First all Win95 combies, then all 98 etc. - Will take a while, but maybe I'm lucky. And of course, if I get it to work, I'll post it here ;)

P.S.: @Unregistered: For me the problem is: My DOS version doesn't work either :(

I appreciate all the help and input. I tried running it with all the different compatibility modes and i didn't have any luck. And I guess then my dos copy wouldn't have done any good anyway. *sigh* o well...

Maybe you can get your DOS copy to work on DOSBOX.

Maybe someone will have to figure out a Win95 emulator to run KS.

Maybe you can get your DOS copy to work on DOSBOX.

Maybe someone will have to figure out a Win95 emulator to run KS.
Yes, it really runs under DOSBox. :) - Ok, you need at least 5 - 6GHz to have it at acceptable speed with no sound stuttering, and more would be better, but at least it works :D
Seriously: As DOSBox emulates a whole PC, even my 3.2Ghz OCed is way to slow to play it. :(
But the idea about the Win95 Emu is nice. Maybe there are already good ones? (Which are shareware) Haven't looked into that one yet.

Ok, I just got an idea:
Lets all post our PC setup and if WC3 KS works for us or not. If it works: Which compatibilty mode are you using? Maybe this way we can at least find out why it does not run perfect for everyone. So I'll start now. Best would be if everyone's setup is this detailed (or even more)

1. rig
MoBo: Shuttle XPC SB51G
CPU: Intel PIV 3.066GHz HT
RAM: 2x 512MB DDR 333MHz
Gfx: Hercules R9700 Pro with Cat 4.3
sound: Plantronics DSP-500 HS (USB) OR onboard AC97 soundchip
HDD: WD 80GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
external: Maxtor 250GB 5400rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drive: LG CD-RW/DVD 48/24/48/16
Directx: 9.0b
WC3 working: NO

2. rig
MoBo: Abit IC7
CPU: Intel PIV 3.2GHz HT
RAM: 2x 512MB DDR 400MHz
Gfx: Saphire R9800 Pro 256MB with Cat 4.2
sound: Creative Audigy
HDD: Maxtor 250GB 8MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Maxtor 60GB 5400rpm, 1 Partition, FAT32
Drive: Pioneer 16x/40x DVD
LG 32/12/40 CD-RW

My guess is: Either Directx 9.0b or NTFS are making troubles. I'll check out if an Fat32 Partition helps, even if it's not the OS one. Will also try diff. PCs these days. The bigger the Data base, the easier it'll be to find out the problem.

Good News (at least in part): I found a PC which can run WC3 KS perfectly. Here the Info:

3. rig
MoBo: Epox 8KHA+ (KT266A)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 1700+
RAM: 1x 256MB DDR 266MHz
Gfx: Winfast Geforce2 GTS 64MB with Det. 40.72
sound: Creative SB Live! Value
HDD: IBM 80GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drive: LG 16x/40x DVD
Directx: 9.0a
WC3 working: YES
Compatibilty Mode: NONE!!!

So to sum it up:
the prob is
- not Win XP SP1
- not NTFS
- not the Windows compatibility Mode!
- maybe ATI Gfx card (drivers?)
- maybe Directx9.0b instead of 9.0a
- maybe Intel CPUs (with HT?)
- maybe Mainboard chipset (Intel?)

These are still guesses, but imho, we are getting closer to the problem. Now if those, who suffer the same problem could post there setup here as well as those without a problem that would be great. Thx in advance.

P.S.: Yes, even now I'll keep searching, although I got it running under the PC above, cause I want it to run on my Shuttle XPC - Got it working on my "DOS-Machine" anyway, so that discovery doesn't change anything ;)

Hi again,
I've just tested WC3 with my M8's PC, and it works fine. Here are the Data:

4. rig
MoBo: Abit NF7 (Nforce2)
CPU: AMD Athlon XP 2400+
RAM: 2x 256MB DDR 400MHz
Gfx: Saphire Radeon 9700 Pro with Cat 3.6
sound: onBoard NForce2
HDD: IBM 120GB 2MB Cache 7200rpm, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drive: Nec 2500A
WC3 working: YES
Compatibilty Mode: NONE!!!

Summary (again):
the prob is
- not Win XP SP1
- not NTFS
- not the Windows compatibility Mode!
- maybe Gfx card drivers
- not Directx9.0b instead of 9.0a
- maybe Intel CPUs (with HT?)
- maybe Mainboard chipset (Intel?)

too bad :(
I've just tested my 2.rig with different Gfx-drivers (Cat 3.6, those my M8 is using), but it's still crashing. So as far as I can see only 2 things are left:
- Intel CPUs (maybe HT, although switching off didn't help)
- Mainboard Chipset (maybe only Intel, but maybe some others, too)

I could confirm this, if you'd post your setups here as well. Yes, I know, there aren't many out there playing WC3 Kilrathi Saga, and even less with Win XP. But those who suffer the same prob could at least post their setups here. - I really want to get this bug fixed. :(

I will maybe try some more tweaking this weekend or so, but more feedback would be helpfull. Thx.

Okay, i guess since i started this thread, i should do my part and at least post my rig. here it is:

MoBo: ABIT IS7
CPU: Intel PIV 2.80GHz HT
RAM: 2x 512MB DDR 400MHz
Gfx: Radeon 9800 Pro with Cat 4.3
sound: M-Audio Revolution 7.1
HDD: 36 GB WD Raptor 10,000 RPM 8mb, 1 Partition, NTFS
Drives: DVD Pioneer 16x
CDRW Lite-on 52x24x52

:( As I guessed. It's getting closer and closer to be only Intel Problem (+ ATI Combi?). Hopefully it's only HT - I'll try switching that off this afternoon. - No I haven't tried some tweaking the last weekend, although I wanted to (at first)

EDIT: Too bad :( - It wasn't the HT, although I was able to play the game for a slightly longer time - could be only my imagine, though. That was without compatibilty modes, btw and activ Virus Scanner. Might try it again with those being changed, but to be honest I doubt it'll help.
Btw, is there somebody out there having problems with WC3 KS who hasn't got an Intel CPU? Just wondering...

Well, as we are collecting Data from PCs which are unable to run the Kilrathi Saga, I'll add those from the French Site, which offers a WC3 Win95 Patch (That Patch includes only the files that are different in the KS Saga, so I guess it's warez, that is why I don't post the link here again). - Most of them only mention the CPU speed, cause they thought it was only the CPU's fault, but well here I go:

1. one:
MoBo: ???
CPU: Intel PIV 2.60GHz (HT ???)
RAM: 512MB DDR
Gfx: Radeon 9600 Pro with Cat ???
sound: ???
HDD: ???
Drives: ???
Directx: ???

2. one:
CPU: Intel PIV 2.80GHz (HT ???)
nothing else mentioned - got it fixed via CPU-Killer and deactivating all Backgroundproggies, but later on he says his game crashes too (???) - So quite useless, I guess :(
WC3 working: NO/YES

That's all, all other didn't mention their PC Setup. So all in all what is similar in each case is the Intel CPU (guess even all HT) and that combined with an ATI (except last one, didn't mention it). Hmm, as my own PC was able to play the game ~20mins, I'm now wondering whether my M8's PC REALLY worked - I just tested about 20mins, cause normally it crashes much faster :( Oh well, maybe I'll try out some tweaking today, if I'm not too lazy again ;)

EDIT: Lol? I've just tried what happens when I use compatiblity mode - and who? Now it crashes after the Origin Logo :confused: - and yes, I tried some different ones. After switching them off again, it works great for the movies (no crash after skipping, no crash at the end of the movie. BUT now it crashes ingame (twice on the ship) But to disapoint you even more: I guess it was a lucky draw that I could play 20mins - this time it crashed when I wanted o enter the Main Terminal. :( And no, switching off Background proggies still didn't help...

Ok, I'll add Dervish's PC Data here as well, so everything is in one post :)
I have a Dell Dimension 4550

MoBo: Not sure
CPU: Intel PIV 2.00 Ghz
RAM: 768 MB DDR RAM
Gfx: GEForce MX 4 (64 MB RAM I think)
sound: Not sure
HDD: 80 gig
external: I didn't even know they had externals, hehe
Drive: CD-RW/DVD Dunno the speed or brand
WC3 working: Actually, it's working better than when I last wrote. I disabled transition scenes, and that seemed to help immensely. I'm going to play around with it longer. If I can play this game for a total of 3 hours without a major crash, I'd say I won the war.

So now it's clear it's not an ATI prob, and no HT (or is there a 2Ghz HT? Don't think so ;) )

Good news =)
Well at least in part ;) - I have contacted the guy from the french side which offers the WC3 WinXP patch and already got a reply - I told him about this Thread and what we found out so far (not that much, but at least something ;) ) and here is reply:
Hi,

Thank you very much for your Mail. I appreciate really your help ! I had not thought that processor Intel suffered more than the AMD. But this hypothesis seems to be good because I recently had a contact which had the following configuration :

-Win Xp PRO with SP1
-Pentium IV 3 Ghz
-NVIDIA Geforce 4
-Soundblaster Audigy
-DirectX 9

And this person does not meet problems with Windows XP...
Personally I have also bloquages under Win XP Pro with Wing Commander III and my configuration is :

-Win XP Pro SP1
-Pentium IV INTEL 2.8 Ghz (HP)
-1Go RAM DDR 400Mhz
-NVIDIA GeForce FX5600
-Soundblaster Live player 5.1
-DirectX 9
-2*35 Go MAXTOR SCSI
-HP DVD Writer and normally DVD drive

WC3 works perfectly with this patch (deleted link, cause no idea if I'm alloud to post it, sorry :(). But the game blocks about every 20 minutes. On my old computer (Pentium Intel 1Ghz , 512 Mb Ram, NVIDIA GeForce 5600FX, WinXP Pro SP1, SoundBlaster Live Player 5.1, 2*35 Go MAXTOR SCSI, COMPAQ) game worked perfectly without bloquages.
Problem seems to be so influenced by the power of the processor... My old computer was an INTEL and my new also... The old supported WC3 while the new not.
I would be very grateful to you if you could inform me on this subject in the future.

See you soon.
Thomas (Switzerland)

So things are getting on ;)

Hi all.

I join you to use to look for a solution.
Apparently, sound cards, graphics boards, INTEL OR CELERON, discs hard, memory have no fatal influence for Wing Commander III's functioning with Windows XP.

I think so that these problems are causes of the power of the processor. However, having made tests with CPU KILLER, problems stay... Every persons who would have ideas are the welcomes...

I have already tried emulators unsuccessfully. My game works perfectly (I manage to play) but every 30 minutes game blocks.

If you speak french and you will propose your ideas in french, you can go to this link : http://www.topnalias.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=15&PN=1
I have addes the link of this thread in this french forum. So Many people will maybe find a solution for all Wing Commander III players... My best game :p

If I find any solutions, I will post them here ;)

Hi Topnalias :) Good to see you joined us - already posted your mail :D
Anyway, I have to dissapoint you: It seems to have not really something to do with CPU speed - or why is my m8's 2400+ OCed @2.4Ghz, 200Mhz fsb (~3200+ or so) able to play it without any probs? Aslo underclocking my CPU didn't help me either, just like the CPU Killer etc. stuff :( - Tried some others, too, btw.
And yes, they (soundcard, cpu etc) have got no influence on it, BUT if they fail to intepret an order correctly they can cause a crash. This is just a thought, but just an example: What if somehow WCIII KS uses an instruction (SSE2, for example), although it wasn't known when WCIII Ks was written? OR an instruction which was normally interpreted somewhere else or so. Yeah, sound totally stupid, I know, but sometimes such things happens (Just to remind you:Win95 A Version could kill a whole Mobo/PC :S - ok WCIII isn't that serious, but just to show what is possible)
So that is why we are collecting that Data - and at the moment there really seems to be a connection between each setup that still suffers thge crashing: Intel Pentium IV with HT support (although disabling HT doesn't help) - and except my 3.06Ghz everyone has got 200Mhz.
Oh, and Topnalias: I just was writing in the Forum Thread you gave me in your mail, when you linked this Thread here ;) - So I posted it anyway - was too long to be just deleted.
Didn't know you changed the Foprum, so that guests can write there, too, that should explain my mail ;)

The power of the CPU has nothing to do with it. The proof?
I've got an Intel PentiumII (yes, 2) with 450 Mhz. :D The game locks up as well.

No need to underclock that one, I can assure you :)

Tried compatibility modes and emulators and patches... It doesn't work.
The Dos version works, but I can't seem to get my USB joystick (logitech extreme 3D pro) to work there. Kinda logical, it being USB and all.

My complete configuration :
Compaq Presario 5676
Intel Pentium II 450 Mhz
XP Pro SP1
256 meg ram
Ati Rage LT Pro AGP2X and a Voodoo2, not used in WC3. (that would be sweet idd)
Aureal Vortex soundcard (On board)
DVD-RW from some vage chinese constructor. Works though.
DirectX 9.0b

WC3 working? Not really.

Back