WC3 Kilrathi Saga WinXP

ChrisReid said:
I've been running tech support for Wing Commander games since agwc in 1996. I've been figuring out how to make games run on different systems since 1987. Back then there was no internet to ask for help, so I figured everything out the long way. I've never taken any sort of class on anything like this.

There weren't classes about making games run in the 80's that I know of. Maybe there should've been, but, anyway, it was almost as fun as the game itself, and sometimes harder.

ChrisReid said:
I've been running tech support for Wing Commander games since agwc in 1996. I've been figuring out how to make games run on different systems since 1987. Back then there was no internet to ask for help, so I figured everything out the long way. I've never taken any sort of class on anything like this.

Hehehe, I'm getting all weepy remembering the good old days of reading the dos manual to figure out how to get enough ems configured to be able to have speech in wc2. Before that, our computer didn't have much trouble running games as my first home PC was a 386sx at 16mhz. with 2MB or ram that we upgraded to 6. It wasnt really hard to configure untill games started using the max amount of conventional memory.

Before that, I remember playing carmen sandiego on the schools apple IIe lab.

And My friend had on of those tape computers that youe either typed the whole program in to before you could play or ahd it recorded on a cassette tape.

Well I've been getting this problem since yesterday. Sometimes I get it to run through a few videos but most of the time (even after running the compatability wizard and setting my priority to normal/low) it locks up immediately after the Origin logo. I haven't been able to get to the first mention. I saw the directions about the command line, but I couldn't figure it out. How would I access the command line thing when my WC3 execute file is located at:

C/Program Files/Wing Commander/WC3/WC3W ?

Mav23 said:
How would I access the command line thing when my WC3 execute file is located at:

C/Program Files/Wing Commander/WC3/WC3W ?

Go into the shortcut properties and add the command line entries to the Target.

Command-Line Parameters for Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95.
If you are experiencing performance problems or other technical difficulties with Wing Commander 3 for Windows 95, you may want to try using one or more of the available "Command-line" parameters for running the game. Since the game normally runs like any Windows 95 program, you will have to open an MS-DOS Prompt within Windows 95 to execute the command-line parameters. Click on START, on PROGRAMS and then on MS-DOS PROMPT. Change to the Wing Commander 3 directory on your hard drive (by typing CD\PROGRA~1\KILRAT~1\WC3). Type "WC3W " followed by one of the following switches:

Command-Line parameters:
-D This forces the hardware "double-buffering" to turn off. Can be helpful with video-related problems.
-NO_INTERLACE This disables the scanline "skipping" in the Wing Commander 3 movies.
-NO_SOUND Use this to disable Wing Commander 3's use of DirectSound.

I have catalist 05.10 version.
WC3 runs without any problem, after i:
- Set compatibility mode to windows 98
- turn off "wmv acceleration" in the options menu of ati display settings.
- Alt tab-out after the introduction, and lower the priority level in task manager

configuration:
AMD Athlon X2 3800+
Asus K8n-e mainboard(nforce4)
onboard audio
ATI radeon X800XT, 256 MB
2GB of RAM
Windows XP SP2

KS: WC1 and 2 run flawlessly too, prophecy, SO, UE, Standoff all run stable now
(all games using Win'98 compatibility mode)
privateer2 runs with the windows '95 patch, as does wing commander 4, and privateer can run under dosbox. still need to try academy and armada.

Alternate pixel centration in the catalist direct3d optimisations appears to fix the lense flare bug(crosshair) in the vision-engine based games, but not in all cases.

pigsonthewing said:
bump...

has anybody tried going a dual OS on their systems.... boot up on win 95 or win 98 and installing the Kilrathi saga? since the older windows probably doesnt utilize your cpu and memory's full potential? could this work?

I run two OS on my computer. It works fine. I have windows ME and XP profession. Remember to make ME the master hard drive. You can partition your hard drive but it works better for me to have two different drives. I can play WC3 and 4 in ME and WCP in XP.

Ea

Has anyone tried calling EA don’t they own the rights to WC maybe they have done something or have something on file? Just wondering if anyone tried.

Yeah, the entire EA ftp structure for Origin support files is still intact. Everything they have for this is already in the CIC Files section.

Please help here. I've read this thread and others and I can't get anything to work.

I've installed WC3:KS. I've alt-tabbed out and changed the priority to normal (and it still gives me the black screen of freezing).

I've done that, changed compatability modes and all. It just doesn't work. Is there a patch to apply? I think I may have done that too.

I'm using XP, probably SP1 or 2, on a 3.2ghz P4, with a radeon x600pro card. Blaaah. I want to feel the mediocrity of a hellcat again!

Nope, there aren't any patches for your situation. After hundreds of posts on the subject in these top couple threads, there's not a lot more that we can suggest. Did you try adjusting sound card, video card and directx settings? Try adjusting any sort of acceleration or advanced effects.

OK! I got it working! Great. I have an ATI Card, with Catalyst drivers. I turned off Windows Media Accelleration and set to Win 98 compatability, and KS Works perfectly.

Unregistered said:
OK! I got it working! Great. I have an ATI Card, with Catalyst drivers. I turned off Windows Media Accelleration and set to Win 98 compatability, and KS Works perfectly.

...until I played more than a few conversations and sim missions.

The game crashes if I use the killboard or talk to Rachael. Presumably with other things too...

Unregistered said:
...until I played more than a few conversations and sim missions.

The game crashes if I use the killboard or talk to Rachael. Presumably with other things too...

Now that's fixed when I set to 'low' priority, but the game still seems to crash at random videos. One in five or six videos it'd seem. Anyone else get this problem? I'm still trying just to play my WC3 in peace. :)

Yeah I was unable to solve the problem either. I just gave up and decided to play something else :p .

I tend to see this stuff more with ATI/Catalyst drivers. I'd focus on any options you have in there for your video card, but it might be something you just have to save often for.

I had the same problem with the game crashing soon after I started it. I have p4 3.2gig with geforce 6800 and winxp.I found solution and the game runs great with no problems what so ever. I got a copy of vmware workstation 5.5 and i play wc3 with it. With this program you can create a virtual machine and you can install any Os you want to you'r created virtual machine. I installed win95. The program emulates basic video and sound hardware and it works pretty well. If you can get this program I almost guarantee that you find the solution you'r looking for. And now back to kick some furry kilrathibutt

Thanks for the tips - they worked!

Like a lot of others, I tried everything from a number of other posts, including using VDMSound. None of them worked. Using wc3w.exe with Windows 2000 compatibility (including the patch) and changing the program priority during the beginning of the Origin movie worked just fine. Thank you all so much for the info!

That works

W2000 compatibility + ALT TAB + Low priority in task manager works on my IBM t41 (Centrino M + ATI graphics). The game chrashed during a longer mission, but that's a way better result then what can only be described as a system stall that plagued me before this.

Regards

A novice..reporting in

I'm trying to get WCIII to run on my XP box. No go! Is anyone out there still monitoring this forum..and is there a fix? Thx..Randy

I'm trying to get WCIII to run on my XP box. No go! Is anyone out there still monitoring this forum..and is there a fix? Thx..Randy

Hi Randy. It's a lot easier to track your problem if you register at the forum. Plus then you'll be able to hop into some of the other WC conversations in other parts of the CZ

Anyway, it's always good to provide more info about which version of the game we're talking about and what kind of system your are trying to run it on (provide specs please). A well, please give us more details about which way it's crashing and what exactly you have tried to get it to run.

Back