WC3 Kilrathi Saga WinXP

I'm past Blackmane but it still locks up.

Cant believe people pay that much! Thats insane. I bought my KS set when it was originally released and I just wanted to play through it again. This is the first time Ive tried the set on this PC.

Is it worth trying the Win2000 patchw/compatibilty mode? That seems to have got mixed reactions. If so where do I get the patch from?

Also, should I add the compatibility wizard to the wc3/ks programme or the command prompt as I am using the command line instructions?

macleod2024 said:
Cant believe people pay that much! Thats insane. I bought my KS set when it was originally released and I just wanted to play through it again. This is the first time Ive tried the set on this PC.
Kilrathi Saga's a collectors item.

I got mine working but i didnt play the game ( i got to get up early tomorrow) What i did was d/l the Windows 2000 patch on this website..set the game to Windows 2000 and set the game to low priorty. and it worked. I'll see how stable it is tomorrow after im done with my classes.

I managed to find the win 2000 patch, applied it and the win2000 mode but didnt change the priority. Do you change the priority just on the process or both the process and the refresh speed on the application?

Coop421 said:
do you need a joystick to play this? because my mouse and keyboard werent working..

No you don't. Keyboard and mouse should be fine. (I personally get along great with keyboard and mouse... ) However, is it working on the carrier too or not at all... If it's not working inflight only, Hit Alt-O inflight and check off the proper controler. don't forget to click save.

Alternately, you may need to re-enter the game setup and choose controlers there. Also make sure you have the games executable set to either win95 or 98 compatability mode.

Delance said:
Keyboards are not a requirement. ...

What? And how else do you autopilot, lock target, switch guns etc.... (unless you have a zillion button joystick. And yes you can map some keys to the Joystick in windows)

bump...

has anybody tried going a dual OS on their systems.... boot up on win 95 or win 98 and installing the Kilrathi saga? since the older windows probably doesnt utilize your cpu and memory's full potential? could this work?

Who are you replying to? Underutilization of current hardware by Windows 95 won't be substantial enough to create any differences. Creating a native Win95 environment alone, on the other hand, could definitely fix some things, but I'm not sure what things you're looking at fixing.

ChrisReid said:
Who are you replying to? Underutilization of current hardware by Windows 95 won't be substantial enough to create any differences. Creating a native Win95 environment alone, on the other hand, could definitely fix some things, but I'm not sure what things you're looking at fixing.

i was just thinking out loud at no one..

but i did follow the advice previously given with the priority but get to flash's challenge, i win, then it locks up after vaquero gives his little kilrathi speech. now when i start up the game i dont even get past the movies... i run an amd64 3200 with 1 gig ram and a geforce 7800 gt oc and i am using my motherboard's soundcard...

The sound card could possibly be suspect. Things like processor and ram aren't important as knowing what operating system you're running. Did you try adjusting the sound and video hardware acceleration in the control panels?

ChrisReid said:
The sound card could possibly be suspect. Things like processor and ram aren't important as knowing what operating system you're running. Did you try adjusting the sound and video hardware acceleration in the control panels?
yeah sorry bout that windows xp sp2.. but i worked my way around that problem by following your advice about the command lines. after i started using wc3w.exe -no_interlace i didnt lock up again... finished the game this afternoon.. thanks...

btw where did you learn all this? did you go to school for computers?

pigsonthewing said:
btw where did you learn all this? did you go to school for computers?

I don't know if chris took any computer courses at university. He may have in highschool. Either way, chris - like me- grew up on the things. Not only that, chris has been running tech support here for 8(? since the CIC started anyway) years. So I imagine he's heard most problems before. And when someone else discovers the fix for something like compatability mode in win2K, we usually try and take note of that stuff because in all likelyhood someone else will come by with the same problem.

I've been running tech support for Wing Commander games since agwc in 1996. I've been figuring out how to make games run on different systems since 1987. Back then there was no internet to ask for help, so I figured everything out the long way. I've never taken any sort of class on anything like this.

Back