WC3 Joystick Mapping & VDMS...

mentis

Spaceman
I've done a lot of troubleshooting and still having only limited success in getting my joystick to work correctly in WC3.

I am using VDMS to run WC3 in XP. I have tried both the alternate joystick routines patch, as well as the Thrustmaster joystick patch. Both have thus far yielded the same results.

Changing the type of joystick being used in the WC3 options (alt+O) does not change anything either.And it would seem that a lot of it comes down to how it's mapped in VDMS. However, I've tried a lot of different maps, and the results have not changed.

I am using a Saitek Cyborg 2000 gameport joystick. Here is my current map for VDMS

;
; This file emulates one analog joystick
; (with two buttons, three axes, rudder and discrete POV)
;

; Recognized joysticks: A (first) or B (second)
; Recognized axes (analog): X, Y, Z (throttle), R (rudder), U, V, P (POV)
; Recognized buttons (digital): B1, B2, ..., B32 (up to 32 buttons), P1, P2 (two discrete POV bits)

[inputs]
analog.1 = A.analog.X
analog.2 = A.analog.Y
analog.3 = A.analog.Z
analog.4 = A.analog.P
digital.1 = A.digital.B1
digital.2 = A.digital.B2
digital.3 = A.digital.B3
digital.4 = A.digital.B4
The goal is to have the POV working as well as all four buttons. It would be nice to have the throttle working too, but I don't thing WC3 is compatible with that at all, so it's okay. After some different configurations I realized how to get the POV working by using the "P" variable (so simple :p). But only the trigger and the middle thumb button work no matter what else I try. What's more, if I hold B2 and press fire, it goes into "Left View" camera mode! This does not allow me to roll while firing. Unless of course I use the spacebar to fire.

Does anyone else have suggestions for getting this dang game to accept proper input from a joystick, and what the proper VDMS map for it is supposed to be? If yes, that would be very helpful.

I am running a USB joystick and with the software for the stick( Wingman Extreme Digital 3D) have the emulation DISABLED and have throttle and several buttons working 2+ dont remember exactly.

ace_starfighter said:
I am running a USB joystick and with the software for the stick( Wingman Extreme Digital 3D) have the emulation DISABLED and have throttle and several buttons working 2+ dont remember exactly.
I was hoping this were possible. In fact, seeing as how MPU 401 didn't need to be emulated, and my joystick being a gameport joystick and all, I figured I didn't need to emulate that either. Unfortunately, if I disable joystick emulation in VDMS, my joystick is not detected by WC3 at all (neither in setup nor in game). Unless there is a different method to getting the joystick to be detected by WC3, I'm afraid I'll have to stick to trying to get it working with VDMS.

I just checked VDMS. The emulation is for gameport sticks only. I would recommend checking the VDMS troubleshooter and website to see if that helps. Other than that just try debugging the avaliable options cuase i dont use a gameport (or have one) on my XP system.

SRRy

Back