WC3 in Win98 (or MSDOS mode)

redwolf

Spaceman
Was wondering if anyone can help me get WC3 running in dos mode. For some reason mscdex wasn't being nice to me. Here are my current startup files...

AUTOEXEC.bat
@C:\PROGRA~1\NORTON~1\NAVDX.EXE /Startup
SET BLASTER=A220 I7 D1 H7 P330 T6
SET SBPCI=C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV

CONFIG.sys
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE

DOSSTART.bat
C:\PROGRA~1\CREATIVE\AUDIO\DOSDRV\SBINIT

Quite bare indeed. All I need is a cd driver command! I'll be able to sort the mouse out.

Also, would there be any video card problems?

My thanks to everyone who can assist!

Yeah, you need a DOS driver, and MSCDEX to run it in DOS. It's not entirely necessary in Win98, since you CAN play it using Windows DOS... you don't need to enable any CD-ROM or mouse drivers in it though. The joystick you have enabled in Windows will also work fine, though if you have problems with it calibrating properly, you should download the alternate joystick routine at the CIC Files page. Worked wonders for me when I installed my new sound card.

Hope that helps.

Windows dos as in dos prompt? Or restart computer in DOS mode. The problem is I can't even remember my cd device driver, I haven't tinkered on my computer for a good two years. Its been through many upgrades and I can't find the driver disk for my cd drive. Its a Diamond Data 36 speed if anyone knows what could help.

I've tried running in the dos prompt and the sound sound jagged and stunted, and the video occupies the top third of the screen only. Sounds like massive conflicts to me :(

Yeah, just open a DOS prompt in Windows. it works without having to load mscdex or any DOS sound drivers.

A another thing you can do is create a short to the game excutible and within the property of the icon tell it to "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows". Choose Properties > Program tab > Advanced button. Check the "Prevent ms-dos base programs from detecting Windows"

Yeah its working now. The video was being disrupted by a sound card conflict. All fixed now... :D

Thank you for your help!

I only just put on WC3 on Win98. Despite what some might sneer upon MS, the MIDI music sounds much nicer with the SW synth. :)

I personally think the Roland-MPU sounds best... I also want to get ahold of Win98SE, and upgrade to it from my Win95 OS.

Back