WC3 Dreadnaught

I have a question about this monster. I was just watching one of the WC3 music videos and I saw how badly damaged the Dreadnaught was after Kilrah blew. My question was how much damage could one of these things take before finally blowing up?

Well, in game - the ship is actually invincible. The failing mission tree ends on a mission where you actually confront the ship. Theres no way to blow it up.

oh well how do you think you would go about destroying one? Would it be kinda like attacking the Tiamat in WC5 you would have to do it in parts?

I don't know if even that would work. In False Colors Tolwyn targeted the front end of the ship because he knew that the missile racks were stored there. Even after its own missiles stores erupted and mangled the front end it still could have eaten their Super Carrier alive(one of the reasons they took what they could get and ran). Those things were tough customers no matter what was slugging it out with them.

LeHah said:
Well, in game - the ship is actually invincible. The failing mission tree ends on a mission where you actually confront the ship. Theres no way to blow it up.

This is a common myth. I've destroyed one before. The idea that they're invincible comes from some discussion about the shield regeneration rates. It can recharge shields at 800 cm/sec, which fighters can barely make a dent in while they wait for their own guns to recharge. I think there might be a bit about this in the official guide too. Ordinarily, a Dreadnaught could take ten simultaneous torpedo hits to a single side and keep on cruising. Nevertheless, you can park on a Dreadnaught's flight deck and hammer away for a long long long time and eventually kill one.

How many of the new people know the trick with sitting inside the hangars, and of those how many had the patience to blast away at the inside of the Dreadnaught for the time required to kill it?

Also, I'm not sure if ive tried this yet but is it possible to kill the Dreadnaught with a Longbow with strafing runs + all missiles to drop the shields, then salvo your torpedos? (Can you fly a Longbow against the Dreadnaught?)

You can fly a Longbow againts the Dreadnought. However, you wouldn't need to strafe the ship to get the shields down for the torpedoes. The torpedoes are able to go through the phase shielding. That's why it takes so long to lock the torpedoes.

Yeah, you can destroy the dreadnought, even without cheating, it just takes a long time. I'm not sure, but I think the mission "resets" and a wave just like the first comes back. You can't win that mission.

ChrisReid said:
This is a common myth. I've destroyed one before. The idea that they're invincible comes from some discussion about the shield regeneration rates. It can recharge shields at 800 cm/sec, which fighters can barely make a dent in while they wait for their own guns to recharge. I think there might be a bit about this in the official guide too. Ordinarily, a Dreadnaught could take ten simultaneous torpedo hits to a single side and keep on cruising. Nevertheless, you can park on a Dreadnaught's flight deck and hammer away for a long long long time and eventually kill one.

I use an Excalibur to destroy the dreadnought. Launch barrages of missiles at it, prefably at the engine and keep shooting firing the cannons at it.

Chernikov said:
I'm not sure if ive tried this yet but is it possible to kill the Dreadnaught with a Longbow with strafing runs + all missiles to drop the shields, then salvo your torpedos? (Can you fly a Longbow against the Dreadnaught?)

No, the torpedoes a single Longbow carries are insufficient to do major damage to a Dreadnought. You'd need several Longbows at least.

if u wanna kill a dreadnaught pick the ship with the best guns (prob longbow / excal) and load up on torps and dumbfires.. kill all the fighters, save your missiles.. and then go about killing the turrets.. or maybe just the ones near the rear.. then find yourself a nice place where you're not going to run into it, and chuck as much energy as you can onto your weapons.. load full salvos and fire your missiles and guns for about 20min or so.. then it'll die.
When you've done it you'll think it's very anticlimactic... but I guess at least you'll be able to say that you HAVE done it. :)

gwydion said:
fire your missiles and guns for about 20min or so.. )
I have to admit, this made me laugh out loud.

Either way, the mission is worth playing just to see that huge thing. Now imagine if WC3 was made today with sweet graphics we now have.

I wonder if the Concordia hadn't been lost if they could have used the main Cannon on it to destroy it (phase transit cannon) if it had been working properly

Drizzt Do Urden said:
I wonder if the Concordia hadn't been lost if they could have used the main Cannon on it to destroy it (phase transit cannon) if it had been working properly

I'm sure it would do some damage, but the chances/risks of getting the Concordia that close to a dreadnaught are VERY slim. At one point in FC (I forget who) they talk about even if the majority of Confleet was in one location that would have a very tough time taking out just one dreadnaught.

Tolwyn and Richards were able to put the Ragark's dreadnaught out of service for a period of time. It was not destroyed, it was heavily damaged, but to the credit of the dreadnaught, when it showed up there it was already badly damaged and continued along. That attack was only possible by the use of the "false colors" and think of the beating Towlyn's fleet took in accomplishing that. It's a good thing that Blair dropped the bomb otherwise Earth would be a cinder.

You said that in False Colors the Dreadnaught was never destroyed so is it possible that the Kilrathi could have repaired it and used it against the Nephilum in WC5

It's possible, I guess. However, it would be highly unlikely. You have to think about how much resources it would take to repair a ship of that size. Plus, the spacedock facilities were damaged in the Landreich's attack.

Back