WC3 compiled movie - questions and review

rapierdragon

Rear Admiral
I was wondering if there is a similar project for WC4? Or perhaps someone can figure out how to extract the animations from WC1 and WC2 and do movies for them? WC3 was certainly well done (see my thorough review below), but I hope a "fixed" version is released in the future, or at least some common problems are avoided from compilations of other WC games if they get done.

REVIEW

I just downloaded and watched the compiled WC3 movie. It seemed very close to the book to me, and the editing was well done. Scene cuts were quite flawless and on the whole the movie was almost, but not quite, professional hollywood work. Flaws in the compiled movie seemd to be limited mainly to flaws that pre-existed in the game (see "FLAWS" below). I do have a few complaints about the final product, but they have more to do with the video format and turning the file into a DVD-playable disk (see "COMPLAINTS").

BONUS BITS:

1) Used the high-quality parts where possible from the 3DO (or whatever) port of WC3.

2) The Hobbes Explanation hologram bit. Very well worked in.

3) Clear, easy to read on-screen text at crucial parts. "THRAKHATH DETECTED" for example.

FLAWS:

1) The flight/combat scenes were in a few places buggy (fly through a transport, manually trying to land upside-down on the carrier, etc) but those are common to the game so missing those when compiling the movie up could be easy to make mistakes (if not mistakes that cannot be avoided. I've sometimes had collision problems with WC3 and have found parts of some ships simply don't register hits from guns or can be flown right through even though they should be solid). Trying to make the game fly to the book script would be hard enough (can't really control the A.I. other than setting the difficulty level) but it shouldn't have been that hard to simply use the rotate key on the keyboard so that when landing the carrier was right-side-up.

2) Also flight/combat. The player seemed to have a lot of difficulty. Now I know it may be that the difficulty level was set too high when producing those scenes, and that the player was trying to roughly follow the book's script. Also the player may have been using an interface they weren't used to (I.E. good at joystick but poor at keyboard but having to use keyboard cause the joystick messes up the record process or keyboard keys were in use by the video recording program and player was forced to play via mouse or joystick when they would have prefered keyboard), or a combination thereof.

3) Use of chase camera and missile-cam in flight/combat. In one place it looked like the player flew into the flight deck of a Kilrathi carrier and then blew up, only moments later it the carrier was shown blowing up (fired a torpedo while inside the flight deck? Certainly didn't look or sound like a torpedo was used! I think I even heard about 1/2 second of the "you died" and saw his fighter blow up right before it cut to the enemy carrier blowing).

4) Result of (1), (2), and (3): Flight/combat scenes seemed to a degree rushed for production.

COMMENTS and COMPLAINTS

1) I personally would have cheated by using the in-game cheats to make the few flight/combat scenes a bit better and would have dropped at least one of the flight/combat scenes in preference of the mission briefing for when they needed to capture the kilrathi tankers to fuel the Behemoth along with Blair meeting Vaquero and possibly one or two other bits (perhaps the extra "news report" bits that are available for download).

2) the movie was in a split NTSC/PAL format and even on a 1.2 ghz computer I had to wait a good 8 hours to convert it to a pure NTSC format (converted it to a long-format as well at the same time, see #2 below) so that I could burn it to a DVD disk as a DVD-playable movie. That is to say that while some newer DVD players might play hybrid disks most older ones like mine won't (or at least the newer ones can play both NTSC and PAL but don't allow switching between the two on the same disk). Mine (at several years old), will play mp3 disks and VCD's but not region-2 DVD's or PAL format DVD's.) This conversion can take 2 to 12 hours depending on your computer speed. More if you lack a program like NeroVision and have to manually extract the foreign parts to convert them and then re-edit the movie to re-insert them.

3) At 2 hours 20 minutes the movie doesn't fit the standard 4 gb DVD (which is limited to 2 hours). You have to either buy a more-expensive DVD-9 or convert the movie (via a conversion/burning program like NeroVision) to fit a regular DVD by converting the file data to a "long-format". Thankfully the video from WC3 wasn't super-high-quality (like a regular DVD movie) so the slight quality loss that occurs in reformating it to long-format isn't noticeable when comparing it to the original game video. Conversion can take from 2 to 12+ hours depending on your machine's speed.

Yeah, I'm willing to face that the in-game flight sequences were a bit disgraceful. To be honest the whole project was rushed, however, the project shall be restarted from scratch and done properly from start to finish. I think this is definately necessary because of the obvious problems and I certainly wouldn't sit through the movie again.

Queeg said:
To be honest the whole project was rushed, however, the project shall be restarted from scratch and done properly from start to finish.

Most interesting. Will there be a change in your direction based upon the book, or largely the same event path as the current version?

t.c.cgi said:
Most interesting. Will there be a change in your direction based upon the book, or largely the same event path as the current version?

Well I have never read the book and unfortunately don't own a copy. I will change the direction of the story to what seems the most exciting. Also I will changing the ending in places to make more sense with the beginning of wing commander IV.

To Queeg:

You don't necessarily need to start over from scratch (unless you already deleted all the scenes extracted from the game disks). Easiest thing would be to use the existing movie as a template for a rebuild. Most of the scenes are already there and in order. Flight/combat scenes would simply be need to be redone and shortened, or simply cut down to the point where its the movie bits of blair boardign his ship, launching, then the animation of him landing.

Must Add These Shots:

1) after Blair saves Locanda IV from the bioweapon missiles, in the game he gets that scene where like 20 other people meet him on the flight deck to congratulate him. (The game uses this bit on several missions, but you could safely use it at least once, preferably after he saves Locanda IV from the bioweapons). It might not fit the book's storyline, but it would add very much to compelling the audience to believe that Blair is this legendary ace pilot (and helps explain why Thrakhath hates/respects him so much. Otherwise people start wondering about Blair. The Blair/Angel subplot explains Blair's emotions, but does nothing to explain his career/skill subplot. Its like saying he got picked for important missions based purely on rank rather than flying skill. (game fans know Blair's history, but I plan to show this to my family and I don't want to have to pause it to explain that Blair wasn't just a ranking officer but a great pilot too).

2) at least one of the Blair/Vaquero shots, preferably the one where Vaquero says how he'll open a cantina and have pilot come play on stage and Blair says he'll come if Vaquero teach him how to play guitar. Otherwise when the movie got to the point where Blair went after Hobbes and comes back to find Eisen saying how they got ambushed and Vaquero died, I felt this whole "who the hell is Vaquero?" thing because you never showed him, not even once! Showing the Vaquero/Blair/Cantina shot also adds to why Eisen was so angry at Blair. (Disobeying an order is one thing, disobeying an order and having a good person die because of your actions is a completely different thing. There's more feeling, more, "I can see this and feel that" and gets people involved.)

rapierdragon said:
To Queeg:

You don't necessarily need to start over from scratch (unless you already deleted all the scenes extracted from the game disks). Easiest thing would be to use the existing movie as a template for a rebuild. Most of the scenes are already there and in order. Flight/combat scenes would simply be need to be redone and shortened, or simply cut down to the point where its the movie bits of blair boardign his ship, launching, then the animation of him landing.

Must Add These Shots:

1) after Blair saves Locanda IV from the bioweapon missiles, in the game he gets that scene where like 20 other people meet him on the flight deck to congratulate him. (The game uses this bit on several missions, but you could safely use it at least once, preferably after he saves Locanda IV from the bioweapons). It might not fit the book's storyline, but it would add very much to compelling the audience to believe that Blair is this legendary ace pilot (and helps explain why Thrakhath hates/respects him so much. Otherwise people start wondering about Blair. The Blair/Angel subplot explains Blair's emotions, but does nothing to explain his career/skill subplot. Its like saying he got picked for important missions based purely on rank rather than flying skill. (game fans know Blair's history, but I plan to show this to my family and I don't want to have to pause it to explain that Blair wasn't just a ranking officer but a great pilot too).

2) at least one of the Blair/Vaquero shots, preferably the one where Vaquero says how he'll open a cantina and have pilot come play on stage and Blair says he'll come if Vaquero teach him how to play guitar. Otherwise when the movie got to the point where Blair went after Hobbes and comes back to find Eisen saying how they got ambushed and Vaquero died, I felt this whole "who the hell is Vaquero?" thing because you never showed him, not even once! Showing the Vaquero/Blair/Cantina shot also adds to why Eisen was so angry at Blair. (Disobeying an order is one thing, disobeying an order and having a good person die because of your actions is a completely different thing. There's more feeling, more, "I can see this and feel that" and gets people involved.)

Yes it definately needs more of the loveable Vaquero. I do think its necessary to start from scratch though. I have seen a sample of wing commander video from the playstation version and it is much better than the PC rips. I think its almost as good as the 3do version. I want to start from scratch and built a story thats more exciting and dramatic. Thanks for the tips though, it definately needs at least 1 of those big congratulations thingy's.

I've recorded one mission now, I carefully read through my thread and kept in mind all the previous problems with gameplay and I think its getting there.

Back