WC3 and Windows ME

LOA--Deadman

Spaceman
Ok, I have been trying to play WC3 under Win ME and it won't even install. I tried installing bother the Dos version and the Windows version but I get the same error no matter what. It will do the speed tst but before the Lexiton pops up a Dos window comes up with the following error.

Exeption 13 happened:)(yes there is a smily face)

CS:EIP = 00BF:000060D4
AEX = 000B0424, EBX = 00000001, ECX = 0000005C, EDX = 004BEFA8
ESI = 00000000, EDI = 0000A6E8, EBP = 00128C78, ESP = 00128C54

Man, do I have to write it all out? If you really need it I can email it to you.

I have a PIII 800 with 128 meg of ram. I have a 40X CD ROM and a 32X CDR. The CD's arn't scratched and they arn't copies (I can read the serial numbers off it if you want).

WC4 runs fin under Win ME. I just had to install the patch to fix the stuff with that.

I don't have KS. I do have the original Dos version of the game and the somewhat newer version (a setup laucher pops up when you put the CD in).

Ok, I'll click on WC3 or install or whatever and then a prompt will come up saying that WC3 has to preform a speed test. It ha been a while since I've played but I remember that after that prompt the Victory would pop up, a spinning 3D model. Well, instead of the model coming up I get that error message.

Does that help clear things up any?

Okay.

Find an actual DOS boot disk and install the game from there. WinME is very annoying in its "I don't like DOS" kind of way, but a simple boot disk should still work fine. Afterwards, you should be able to play the game from Windows.

I.....have...an.....idea.... I'm not going to bother with modifying Win ME (why bother screwing with a stable system). I'm just going to plug a HD with Dos installed on it into my computer. Then when I want to play Dos games I just have to change the boot order to A: D: C: instead of A: C: E:. I did a test earlier and it worked out ok. I just have to hunt down the driver for my sound card. Muhahahaha!!!!

[Edited by LOA--Deadman on 02-04-2001 at 23:17]

Yeah, your right there but Moslow should work alright in dos, did before. My main prob is I still can't find a Dos driver for my sound card.

Well, I have a HP Pavilian and like all prebuilt comps the sound card is built into the motherbord and even though I have 5 sound cards they won't fit into the slots because they're diferent.

The Windows driver says it's a "Crystal" sound card and I have found drivers for it but none that work in Dos. Another problem is that not only is there no sound but I have no joystick. I'm hoping though that if I can get the sound drivers the j/s will work too. I'll just have to mess with it more.
I'm going to try and install a Sound Blaster or 16/32. System specks says it's a 32 bit card. F-ck around with anything long enough and you'll either get it working or break it for good. I'm hoping on the former.:)

Crystal, huh? I'm all too familiar with those. I've got one right here, also built into the motherboard. Mine's got DOS drivers, though, and they work just fine... at least, they usually do. Priv and Armada don't like it :(.
Anyway, open up your computer, and look for the chip with "Crystal" on it. There will be a number, CS4280-CM or something along those lines. I might be able to help you find DOS drivers if I know what that number is.

Ok, I can't even think about cracking my computer open (warrenty will be void). So I took another aprouch and made a bootdisk. With the old mods I made earlier (that dos patch) there is still some Dos stuff in there. Well, with the bootdisk I can get WC4 to work in Dos mode. I installed Armada to test it aswell but when it initializes EMS memmory my comp freezes up.

Autoexec.bat:

@ECHO OFF

PATH C:\MOUSE;
MOUSE
REM ****** CD-ROM *******
C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND\MSCDEX.EXE /D:ARTCD001

SET windir=C:\WINDOWS
SET winbootdir=C:\WINDOWS
SET COMSPEC=C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM
SET PATH=C:\WINDOWS;C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND
SET PROMPT=$p$g
SET TEMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP
SET TMP=C:\WINDOWS\TEMP

Config.sys:

[COMMON]
REM ****** CD-ROM ******
DEVICE=C:\ACDROM\ACDRV.SYS /D:ARTCD001 /UDMA

files=30
buffers=10
dos=high,umb
stacks=9,256
lastdrive=z

This is rather simple; you're not loading EMM386, which is required for EMS.

Add this to the top of your CONFIG.SYS:

DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\HIMEM.SYS
DEVICE=C:\WINDOWS\EMM386.EXE RAM 16384 /I=B000-B7FF

Back