WC3 - 90 second Thrakhath Challenge :)

beyerch

Spaceman
Recently I dusted off my old Wing Commander games and started playing them again via DosBox. :)

While playing WC3 recently, I replayed the mission where you have to make the choice between landing on Victory or fighting Thrakhath and being left behind.

As it turned out, I chose "none of the above", fought Thrakhath, blew up his ship, and landed back on the Victory.

I'm curious if anyone else has been able to pull off this feat? I accomplished this in an Arrow by max afterburner and literally launching all 8 IR missiles starting at a distance of 15K and then high tailing it back to the Victory.

I was pretty disappointed; however, in the fact that after blowing him up there wasn't any real recognition of the fact. (I guess the programmers never thought you'd blow him up *and* get back to Victory, etc.)

Anyone else pull this off?

We all tried 25 years ago I guess, and I don't even remember a third choice.. IIRC if I ignored Eisen's Warning, and had the upperhand, Thrakhath would just would disengage and jump to ludicrous speed and keep just out of range leading me away from the victory. Sure it has been possible to kill all him, even using a cheat.. the story would then break so that's why it's ignored(like getting hobbess killed on a mission where he is on your wing).

Killing Hobbes however, should result in him not flying over Kilrah.

Pretty much every time; full afterburners, set missiles to launch simultaneously and just as you pickle them, let rip with full guns.

My head-cannon is that he ejected. Wouldn't be the first time.

If I recall correctly, they tweaked this in Kilrathi Saga so it's not possible to kill Thrakhath and get back.

Hi, it's been a while but i always come back to the CIC, and yes, i only had the Kilrathi Saga version and if you kill Thrakhath you can't get back in that version.

Hmm. I was going to comment on the oddness of the fact that of all the bugs they could fix, they fixed such a trivial gameplay issue. But now that I think about it, I suppose WC3 *was* fairly clean of bugs. I'm sure there were some bugs in there, but damned if I remember any. That was a very polished project.

Hmm. I was going to comment on the oddness of the fact that of all the bugs they could fix, they fixed such a trivial gameplay issue. But now that I think about it, I suppose WC3 *was* fairly clean of bugs. I'm sure there were some bugs in there, but damned if I remember any. That was a very polished project.
The only real bug I remember in WC3 is the flawed collision detection on large ships, which is also part of WC4.
(Does the untextured terrain in the planetary missions count as bug as well?)

I think the untextured terrain is as intended. I'm sure they originally hoped to achieve more, given the technology they were using was related to Strike Commander. But they seemed to have run into some sort of limitations, because even WC4 doesn't come close to having the visual quality of the landscape high enough to rival Origin's contemporaneous flight sims.

I think the untextured terrain is as intended. I'm sure they originally hoped to achieve more, given the technology they were using was related to Strike Commander. But they seemed to have run into some sort of limitations, because even WC4 doesn't come close to having the visual quality of the landscape high enough to rival Origin's contemporaneous flight sims.
There's textured planet terrain objects in WC3... but I'm not sure if they are used or not. They're almost more like a relief map in a single color that maybe they somehow generate the terrain based on. Or it's possible, they are just plain unused https://www.wcnews.com/shipviewer/

For example here's the Kilrah terrain object...
Kilrah.png

Well, that actually may be used in the game (I do vaguely recall the bottom of the trench looking different to its surroundings, like on that image - but it's been fifteen years). It's just that the scale of the terrain is so vast, that this sort of texture just isn't noticeable - it all becomes extremely bland, to the point where it feels like an untextured landscape with shading on top.

Back