WC2 Speech Pack

The speech pack has the Scimiar-cockpit cartoon from Claw Marks on the front (G) It was released on 3.5" HD and 5.25" HD disks -- it was also included in the 'promotional' edition of Wing Commander 2, sans box.

Well, yeah, it's on every CD re-release of WC2... Deluxe, Deluxe EA, Classic, Silver Classic, Gold Classic, FM Towns and so forth...

Well, the speach pack was not to great. Only inflight sounds. Or maybe it just didn't work right under windows.

Only inflight sounds -- and a select few of the in-game conversations. It's *possible* that the Japanese FM Towns version of Wing Commander II has full speech -- we hope to find out soon (G).

My gold edition was still on 3.5" disks but it contained the speech acsessory pack. BTW didn;t privateer come with a speach acsessory pack as well?

I don't think they did gold editions on disks -- the only WC2 editions released on disks were the initial release and the promotional edition.

Privateer had a speech pack, but did not ship directly with it, as WC2 did.

The WC2 speech pack was released both on Disk, and with every WC2 CD release to date. Including Kilrathi saga.

The speech is played during the opening cinematic, certain cinemas with Khasra and the Emperor, and possibly a few more that I can't remember.

The Privateer speech pack, on the other hand...
Everybody spoke in that game, and there was no text talk whatsoever. But the lip synching was horrible. God-awful, to be exact.

By the way... when the hell do I get to stop being a cadet?

After 75 posts read the How to advance in rank section. And sorry LOAF you are right I have the Promotional Edition which does have the speech accessory pack

The initial Privateer did *not* have full speech -- the speech pack added comms to it. It was the CD deluxe edition that first had full speech (ditto for Strike Commander). Although this was considered for WC2, it was never done in the US.

A fun note... Burrows had a far *better* voice in the original Privateer, before the full talky version was released -- they couldn't get the actor they had to do the intro back, so they re-dubbed it with the current, whiney voice.

Cool. I never knew that.

Brownhair's voice was really lame in the inro. Not so bad later, but still annoying. I'd be interested to hear that if anybody has an MP3, or something.

No, it's because of the disk space limitations in 1991 (G) Privateer, Wing Commander 1 and Strike Commander all originally used the names of the characters, but had the dialogue changed in the full-talky versions.

Was privateer released in 1991? forgive my ignorance.

With the character name topic, I'd say that why in Priv Brownhair is always referred to as 'Privateer' or some general term.

No, WC2 (the game initially in question) was released in 1991 -- Privateer was released in 1993... but still before CDs had taken over the market.

You kids today don't know what you're missing:)

When Privateer originally came out on disk, you named the Privateer, and he was mentioned repeatedly in dialogue... you named Blair in WC1 and WC2, and he was mentioned repeatedly in dialogue. The original versions of WC1, WC2 and Privateer did not have full speech -- thus, they would call you by your callsign or your last name and so forth.

When full speech versions of the games were created, the dialogue was changed. Instead of calling Brownhair Bandit, they called him 'privateer' and so forth. It was all re-written...

Ditto for WC1 -- instead of letting you name your character in the SegaCD version, you get called "Maverick" automatically. This also occurs in WC2 -- try playing it without speech enabled... they use your name in the dialogue instead of referring to you as Captain or 'that pilot' and so forth.

Back