WC2 freezes in DBX 0.65

Don

Rear Admiral
My panicky role forced me to open this thread and report this problem too soon though I hope its just minor. And I have looked through other threads for this kind of problem...well a bit.

I just started playing Wing Commander 2 and got it to work in DosBOX 0.65 inc. sound which plays fine. Played the first level without any problems then played the next level - where you have to defend the Concordia for the second time. Upon destroying all the fighters the game just freezes completley forcing me to restart. I assumed this was a one-off glitch so i played the same level and again (after destroying the fighter) it froze. Repeating this a few times only made me assume the worst that it was a major problem.

However I managed to play the game without DosBOX and it worked fine (though no sound and difference to the graphics engine - no video intercom and no hand-on-yoke-thing) without any major or minor glitches and i managed to get through the levels this time (got up to destroying a task force near Olympus Station). Though from where I finished I played the game again in DosBOX and after autopiloting to the next nav...it FROZE!!! :(

I was just wondering if this was a common problem that can be resolved or not, but I do hope to get this sorted completley. Thanks.

Yeah, definitely sounds like leaving off the loadfix command. https://www.wcnews.com/news/update/6042

Additionally, some games may need an additional entry to execute. Privateer and Armada run well with "loadfix -65" typed before the game's main executable (for example "loadfix -65 armada"). The -65 is optional and variable, but we've had best luck with that value. Wing Commander 2 will also probably require "loadfix -32 WC2" to avoid some freezing a couple missions into the game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi I've just got WC2 deluxe edition and tried playing it in DosBOX 0.65 I tried both the loadfix commands as you suggest and yet the still freezes and DosBOX closes itself on mission 2 protecting the concordia. Is there something I've missed? This is my DosBOX configuration:

[sdl]
fullscreen=false
fulldouble=false
fullresolution=original
windowresolution=original
output=surface
autolock=true
sensitivity=100
waitonerror=true
priority=higher,normal
mapperfile=mapper.txt
usescancodes=true

[dosbox]
language=
machine=vga
captures=capture
memsize=16

[render]
frameskip=0
aspect=false
scaler=normal2x

[cpu]
core=normal
cycles=3000
cycleup=500
cycledown=20

[mixer]
nosound=false
rate=22050
blocksize=2048
prebuffer=10

[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=default
config=

[sblaster]
sbtype=sb16
sbbase=220
irq=7
dma=1
hdma=5
mixer=true
oplmode=auto
oplrate=22050

[gus]
gus=true
gusrate=22050
gusbase=240
irq1=5
irq2=5
dma1=3
dma2=3
ultradir=C:\ULTRASND

[speaker]
pcspeaker=true
pcrate=22050
tandy=auto
tandyrate=22050
disney=true

[bios]
serial1=dummy
serial2=dummy
serial3=disabled
serial4=disabled

[dos]
xms=true
ems=true
umb=true

[ipx]
ipx=false

[autoexec]
mount C C:\DOS\CDrive
mount D D:\ -t cdrom
C:
CLS

Haha! Thicky stupid time for me! Didn't install it using the loadfix! Doh! Dumbass mode! Sorry to waste space folks.

You should be using the loadfix command each time you run the program, not necessarily during the install. But as long as you got it going, that's what matters.

Back