WC2 Collector's inside Windows?

Hi all,

I've tried everything, from copying the WC 2 Collector's edition to my harddrive, to ripping it to virtual CDROMs.

I cannot get WC2 collector's to run in Windows. I have to get outside Windows (boot in DOS, or with a boot stiffy). Isn't there anyway I can get it to run in windows?

I can start up the installation, but this is where it hangs (it never get's to the 'select you install drive' screen).

Also, the installation definitely doesn't like multiple CDROMS, because I also have a CDR-W and I have to put some CD inside the second drive to continue with any WC missions (this is now, after I installed it in DOS and I'm playing it from there).

I know this is nitpicking, but WinME isn't too keen on booting in DOS and I would like to play in windows itself.

Thanks all

Riaan
Lt. Col.

Hmmmhh...I think I've been having this same problem. I have the Deluxe edition, which I'm assuming is what you have, and it seems to be able to run off the CD with a DOS boot. However, there is also an installation option, but when I run through the installer, I hit a problem at the "Select Drive to Install From" part. It shows [A, c, and d], but it doesn't recognize anything but A, and I'm trying to install it from D (my CD-ROM drive). I had a copy on my computer before that I had appropriated by other means.....and it worked in Windows, but now that I have the actual CD version, I seem to be having trouble. Also, I have a question of my own for anyone who can answer. I have Windows 98 running, and whenever it goes to a DOS reboot for WC2 or Privateer, it never goes to the DOS prompt. It just flashes some message and reboots. Is there a way to fix this? The other day I was really wanting to play Privateer (one of the greatest games ever), but was unable to.

I used to have Academy run in a Windows 95 DOS window. I keep WC1/2 on the 386, but I'm sure I once had it running in a DOS window as well - just with fast lip movements.

Kilrathi Saga

Hi John,

I think the Kilrathi was fixed so it's compatible with Windows. However, the deluxe versions were before the days of Win95.

Anyway, the only way I can play WC2 is in DOS, but then I loose my USB Joystick and sometimes the SBLive Emulation doesn't work.

Also, the fast lip movements does slow down if you use MoSlo. I used it at 40% on my AMD 950, Voodoo5 and it is bearable. Howeverm the game is still in Lightspeed !!! The only way I can finish WC2 now is to use the invulnerability cheat (I HATE CHEATS, it feels like I'm not finishing the game...) so I can chase and shoot kittiesbut they cannot kill me.

Maybe I should try to build up an old 486 from parts I have lying around...

Re: Kilrathi Saga

Originally posted by r_pretorius72
Hi John,

I think the Kilrathi was fixed so it's compatible with Windows. However, the deluxe versions were before the days of Win95.

Anyway, the only way I can play WC2 is in DOS, but then I loose my USB Joystick and sometimes the SBLive Emulation doesn't work.

Also, the fast lip movements does slow down if you use MoSlo. I used it at 40% on my AMD 950, Voodoo5 and it is bearable. Howeverm the game is still in Lightspeed !!! The only way I can finish WC2 now is to use the invulnerability cheat (I HATE CHEATS, it feels like I'm not finishing the game...) so I can chase and shoot kittiesbut they cannot kill me.

Maybe I should try to build up an old 486 from parts I have lying around...

Yep, save you some headaches and put together a machine for those older WC games. You can get parts etc so dirt cheap nowadays. Of course your jstick wont work if its not an analog/digital stick. If its pure digital and no dos based drivers are present or available for that stick, it wont work in your dos mode. And yes, Kilrathi Saga has the games set up for native win9x operation. That includes your digital Jstick. You might try to load up KS, then grab one of the save games from the older version, see if the KS game will recognize the save game file where you left off in the dos version. Maybe that will let you continue and finish the game without "cheats".

RFB

Back