WC2 and WC3 ships

Originally posted by Haesslich

About the only books which are canon for Lucas are the novelizations of his screenplays. And even THOSE sometimes need to be taken with a grain of salt. :D

Right. Even the novelizations don't match up directly with the movies. IIRC, Lucas swapped Red and Gold squadrons in his A New Hope novelization.

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Didn't Red become Blue?

That might be it. Its been over a decade since I read it, so the fact I remember the switch at all is probably rather remarkable...

Hehehe, it's been about the same amount of time for me, too. I wonder what it is about that one change...

Originally posted by Bandit LOAF
Didn't Red become Blue?

In Episode IV, A New Hope the Novel: Blue Squadron goes in on the Death Star run after Gold gets cut up.

In Episode IV, A New Hope the Movie: Red Squadron goes in on the Death Star run after Gold gets cut up.

Yup. That was Red turning into Blue.

They did that because blue painted ships don't photograph well against a "Blue Screen." Also, the A-wing was originally supposed to be blue, but was changed for the same reason.

Originally posted by Ender
They did that because blue painted ships don't photograph well against a "Blue Screen." Also, the A-wing was originally supposed to be blue, but was changed for the same reason.

Uh...
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the "blue screen" (actually, wasn't it green?) was used until the speeder bike chase in RotJ. We're still talking about the original here.
I think a part of Blue Squadron still made it into the movie, but only barely. As the X-Wings take off, you see a number of different shots of pilots. The Red Squadron pilots all have a wide assortment of helmet insignia. There's another set of X-Wing pilots that all have the Alliance insignia on their helmets, but in blue instead of Red.
I would guess that they're what's left of Blue Squadron.
Note that their fighters still apparently have red stripes.

Originally posted by junior
I could be mistaken, but I don't think the "blue screen" (actually, wasn't it green?) was used until the speeder bike chase in RotJ. We're still talking about the original here.
Blue screen was indeed in use for ANH and ESB. ROTJ was the first movie to make extensive use of green screen, which was found to produce better edges around the elements in front of it.

Oh yeah, they definately used it prior to return of the Jedi. I remember on the special edition tapes, George Lucas talking about the problems they had with it in the empire Strikes back, not using a black background the way they normally did.

Damn...StarWars Trilogy.... I wonder why they dont make it a DVD trilogy...:(

Yo WingCommander Movie !!

Lucas and producer Rick McCallum have both stated that the original SW movies will be released on DVD once the prequel trilogy is complete. They say that they haven't the time to locate, weed through, and composite the extra stuff they have from ANH, ESB, and ROTJ. And apparently, they don't want to release bare-bone movie-only issues.

Also, Lucas is shooting more footage for the original trilogy while filming Episodes I, II, and III. Presumably, this is to fix small inconsistencies and make the entire 6-movie series fit together in every detail.

Well the line: "We count 30 Rebel Ships...." is pretty rouf. The acual number could be 24 or 48. In the Novel there are 4 squads. so presumably Green and Blue were there, we just didn't see them

Back